IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Disaster At The Pump!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-12, 05:38 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Disaster At The Pump!

Normal day, I need gas, so pull into a Shell Gas Station. Now pump #4 which is the one I pull up to has fuel residue on the ground and the remnants of a fuel spill cleanup, so I think to myself someone had a fuel accident but everything must be fine now because the pump is operational. So I insert my credit card, remive the gas cap, remove the pump, press 91 and go to insert the pump nozzle into the gas tank... this is where the story begins. As I go to put the nozzle into the gas tank fuel starts coming out prematurely and starts spraying all over the rear fender, rear passenger door, and trunk! "F***" I yell as im quickly inserting the nozzle into the gas tank. Its in now and pumping gas. As im loosely using the "F" word and some other R Rated words I hurry to the trunk, pull out my Turtle Wax cleaner and microfiber towel, and clean any fuel on the vehicle I can see. NOW THE PLOT THICKENS!!! As im cleaning the car and waiting for the "click" sound of the pump to come to a stop, I instead hear a gushing sound of fuel spewing ALL OVER the rear of my car, imagine Niagara Falls of fuel gushing out of your tank pouring onto your trunk, fender, door, tire, wheel, rotor, caliper. I then jump to the pump pull it out and slam it back on the lever on the main gas pump. While doing that, yup, I got gas all over my hands, legs, feet, and flip flops. Words cannot express my anger at this moment! I storm into the cashiers office and start yelling and tell the cashier my story. The look on her face was priceless. She summons the manager. Now I tell him what happens and he has the nerve to tell me it was my fault because I didn't manually hold the gas pump lever! Well WTF is the auto pump for! Not my fault, it was faulty equipment and obviously it had happened before me because I SAW WHERE THEY CLEANED THE SPILL FROM THE PREVIOUS CUSTOMER!!!! So while im yelling at this "manager" about my situation, some random guy walks over and says "don't worry it wont mess up your paint" im fuming now so I tell this guy to shut up because this isn't his conversation! He then tells me he is the owner of the station, perfect! So during our "exchange" of words I demand he do something to resolve this situation, and remember I am soaked with gas at this time. He says there is nothing he can do, so I tell him he better pay/reimburse me for a hand wash/wax that I intend to do immediately. He laughs at me and says no, and points down the street to a $5 drive-thru car wash, and tells me that's all he is willing to do. I tell him that is not acceptable and he tells me I am being rediculous and leaves! Seeing that I was making no progress I grab my receipt jump in my car and take off. I then immediately called Shell's Corporate Office and told them my story. They told me that the owner demonstrated inappropriate customers service and that after review of my claim, corporate will more than likely reimburse me for my car wash. They were VERY helpful and seemed concerned about my situation, especially that I was soaked in gasoline and they didn't offer any assistance in cleaning me up. Well im sitting here at the car wash right now in Laguna Beach getting my hand wash/wax after my fuel pump disaster!!!! Thought I would share my story with you!

Gil
Old 05-24-12, 06:46 PM
ISFJames
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear ! Post an address of the gas station and warn other lexus members in the Socal section.
Old 05-24-12, 07:14 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn, yes fuel will screw your paint up. Smart to get it waxxed immediately. I may have gotten irate and lit a match as I drove off.
Old 05-24-12, 11:04 PM
Valkirk
Driver

That really sucks, hate it when the auto cut off's don't work, I would probably have been more worried about my interior though having to get in and drive covered in gas. A good clean and wax will restore the outside but fuel stains on your seats / carpets and the smell of gas will be harder to shift.

Hope you get it all sorted!
Old 05-25-12, 01:00 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear but you did the right thing by reporting the owner and that gas station to corporate. I'm glad your car didn't stall. I saw several Benz overfill gas and they won't start right after and will need to get some of the gas pumped out.
Old 05-25-12, 06:26 AM
sleepyray
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

oh man...that was horrible! hope that's no paint damage on your car
Old 05-25-12, 08:26 AM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A few years back I stopped at a shell in the valley put my card in took thenozzel off the pump as soon as I twisted the nozzle around to put in my tuck the nozzle came off! Gas was spraying full force all over me and my truck! Took me a minute to remember to click the receiver back down to stop the flow.... Needless to say it was a F'd up experience
Old 05-25-12, 08:30 AM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

you should of pulled out your lighter, and said if you dont pay for my wash and wax, im gonna set myself on fire and run through your store,lol.
Old 05-25-12, 08:38 AM
nickt93
Driver School Candidate

Same thing happened to me man! Last summer in my LS. Basically the automatic shutoff was jacked up, and I was sitting in my car playing Words With Friends (real smart, I know) and didn't notice the pump continued even after the tank was full. Luckily the pump had a shutoff built in at $100.

I called Exxon corporate and although they initially said they would reimburse me, I went back and forth with them for months and never got anywhere. Hope you have better luck than I did.

Here are a few pics I snapped for "proof":

Old 05-25-12, 08:48 AM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn that's crazy at least u didn't get covered in gas
Old 05-25-12, 09:31 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

i would have been furious. i'd probably do a drive by later that night w/ some eggs.
Old 05-25-12, 09:38 AM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

Dang that sucks! I hope your interior doesn't have a lingering smell after you getting soaked too.
Old 05-25-12, 10:56 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

I don't know... I side with the gas station owners on this. You should be watching the pump and paying close attention. Auto shut off is a bonus feature. I have had this happen to me on my old G35, man that gas comes out quick!
Old 05-25-12, 12:36 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

" Come on pookie, lets burn this motha*****er down!!"
Old 05-25-12, 09:01 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nickt93
Same thing happened to me man! Last summer in my LS. Basically the automatic shutoff was jacked up, and I was sitting in my car playing Words With Friends (real smart, I know) and didn't notice the pump continued even after the tank was full. Luckily the pump had a shutoff built in at $100.

I called Exxon corporate and although they initially said they would reimburse me, I went back and forth with them for months and never got anywhere. Hope you have better luck than I did.

Here are a few pics I snapped for "proof":

NEVER... repeat... NEVER return to the car and sit in it while filling up. You can quite possibly pick up static electricity and cause a major fire when you go to grab the pump handle.