IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Oil changing question, how many miles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-12, 08:53 PM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
which oil filter are are you guys using?
oem oil filter
Old 05-22-12, 11:08 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Every 5K miles... I use the correct OEM filter and oil as noted by Lexus Japan

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
my shop puts stickers in the window and has the car put a "warning light" to remind to change oil at every 3k
does anybody know how to get the warning light, message to dissapear without taking it into dealer?
^^^ Because you asked..

~ Joe Z
Old 05-23-12, 06:02 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oem filter here as well.
Old 05-23-12, 07:08 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z

^^^ Because you asked..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t2mXeKwnUQ

~ Joe Z
I like the closing credits in the video. LOL
Old 05-23-12, 10:19 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by RCB
LoL ...
Old 05-23-12, 11:19 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was reading through this thread, lots of info, almost too much, but it wasn't specific to our engine. It did provide a lot of insight though.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mai...perthread.html

This quote is from the above thread and it seemed pretty "10-8" (insightful/legit), lol sorry for throwing a 10 code out there.

Originally Posted by Rufus
As a former Product Engineer for one of the household name filter manufacturers on the list, I'd like to add some perspective on filters:

1. You can bet that all filters made by a manufacturer are NOT equal. Filter makers make filters they supply to thier OE (original equipment) customers (i.e. Ford, GM, etc) to specs the customer sets. The filter makers are free determine specs for filters they sell in the aftermarket under their own label. Those filters may be of a better or lower quality than the OE filter. Areas where filters can differ include filtration efficiency (the percentage of particles of a particular size that are removed), capacity (amount of contaminant the filter can hold before becoming restricted), burst strength, pressure drop, etc, etc. Efficiency and capacity are determined for the most part by the filter paper, the performance of different papers can vary greatly, and differences are not possible to see by eye........lab tests under carefully controlled conditions are required. There's a lot of 'black majic' in what the paper manufacturers do and also a lot of jockying for position to get exclusive rights to the best paper to get an advantage over filter competitors.

2. If a filter manufacturer supplies OE (original equipment) filters to a car or engine manufacturer, then they are familiar with the specs required for those filters. (Whether the filters actually meet all the specs is a different question depending on the integrity of the filter maker. Filters are a comodity and the market is extremely competitive; I've actually seen out-of-spec product get knowlingly shipped just to keep production running and revenue coming in.)

3. If a filter maker doesn't provide OE filters for a particular application, they may not have access to the official specs for that filter and must "reverse engineer" their own filter to copy an OE filter. They obtain OE filters however they can, usually from a dealer. The quality of the final product depends on the skill and integrity of the filter maker.

4. Unfortunately, it's impossible for the the consumer to independantly determine which filter is best, and it's difficult to know which filter maker to trust. It's important to me to buy a filter that's most likely to meet the specs set by the engine or car manufacturer......it's their reputation that's "on the front lines" if there's a failure.

To maximize the chance of putting the best filter on any car I really care about, I either buy a filter from a (trusted?) filtermaker that I'm confident has access to the official product specs, or from the car dealer. I always buy the best filter available for the application. To me it's worth the extra money. I use filters from 5 different sources (some dealer-bought, some aftermarket) for the variety of cars we now own.

Cheers,
Bob

P.S. It's been a number of years, but I contacted the maker of a widley used "performance" filter for some technical info. The info they provided proudly showed a reduction in pressure drop which would result in greater performance. However, what I did not like was that the efficiency in removing particles of a particular size dropped from 98% to 97%. This may seem like an insignificant change, but if one considers that the number of particles of that size getting thru increases from 2% to 3%......a 50% increase in dirt that filter allows into the engine! .......but not my engine.....not for just another 2-3 hp near redline.
Old 05-23-12, 11:24 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RCB

LMFAO!!! Best/worst credits ever, I luv it!!!!

Joe's car parts = awesome
Joe's Hollywood film school = ehhh not so much
Old 05-23-12, 11:38 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Talking

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
LMFAO!!! Best/worst credits ever, I luv it!!!!

Joe's car parts = awesome
Joe's Hollywood film school = ehhh not so much
It was literally put together in 5 minutes..

and our long timer member / friend JavyLsu gets the filming and editing credits..

~ Joe Z
Old 05-23-12, 11:45 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z

~ Joe Z
And which oil would that be? I think I remember seeing a picture you posted from walmart before... 5 quart jug of 5w30 mobile 1 conventional? I don't remember.... I'm due for an oil change and going to attempt to do it for the first time next week. Haven't even been underneath this car yet.