Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS F
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Michelin Super Sports installed today

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-12, 02:49 PM   #16
melbitoast
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (1)
 
melbitoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 736
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraman16 View Post
Melbitoast, how much PSI are you running on your Michelin's? I ask because the amout of PSI drastically affects the cars handling. Try to increase the PSI and see how they do...Darshana S...
Not sure to be honest. I'll have to check on that. Thanks for the reminder. I should know that consider how much Forza 4 I've been playing lately!!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
__________________
2008 ISF - Cronus
MODS done: Sikky headers, custom exhaust, Injen intake, Exact diffuser, RMI scoops (blue), CF front lip accents, CF roof wrap, CF trunk wrap, CF grille wrap

MODS to-be-done: sway bar, springs


"If you ain't first, you're last!"
melbitoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 02:51 PM   #17
melbitoast
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (1)
 
melbitoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 736
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCrazyKid View Post
Install of the rear swaybar is a piece of cake. IF you have the hand tools, do it yourself. If you don't have the tools (combination wrenches and socket set) then spend the $105 on a set from Craftsmen and do it yourself. You will then have the tools forever for other projects.

AA
I've got a huge toolset, so I'll check on the instructions prior to having it installed by someone else. Thanks for the advice!
__________________
2008 ISF - Cronus
MODS done: Sikky headers, custom exhaust, Injen intake, Exact diffuser, RMI scoops (blue), CF front lip accents, CF roof wrap, CF trunk wrap, CF grille wrap

MODS to-be-done: sway bar, springs


"If you ain't first, you're last!"
melbitoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 03:21 PM   #18
lowrideraz
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)
 
lowrideraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,602
Default

^^^^Take a walk through this thread. I know it's pretty big, but if you only look at the pics, you'll get the idea. It really is not a tough job.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/susp...ar-thread.html

Lou
__________________
2008 ISF - Mercury Metallic
2011 Chevrolet Silverado - White
lowrideraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-12, 12:50 AM   #19
KJH
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: California
Posts: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbitoast View Post
Personally, I don't like 'em. I've had mine since last August.

At first they seemed great. Quiet. Softer than the OEM tires. I gave them some time before I began "testing" them, and I must I'm dissappointed in them. The hype may have been too much and the praise too high. Not nearly as much cornering grip as I anticipated after reading all the reviews.

Although considerably more expensive, I would consider going back to the OEM tires before buying another set of PSSs.
Could you be more specific about what you perceive to be a degradation in cornering grip? I ask the question because your experience runs counter to many others. The most comprehensive testing of passenger car tires in conducted by The Tire Rack. Here is a rating of max performance tires and the Michelin PSS has been rated #1 almost since the day it was released. Even the long-in-the-tooth PS2 is still rated #4 overall.... Take a look here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP.

In addition, Michelin and Lexus conducted a comparo of various tires, including the PSS and using the IS-F as a test vehicle. After 20 hard laps around the track, the PSS was the only tire that was not chunking and had the fastest lap times, the best braking and handily won the other performance/handling tests. It's less expensive than the PS2 it replaces and has a significantly higher wear rating (300 to 220). Maybe you got a bad set, but I would sure like to hear more about your specific dislikes and this tire. TIA,
__________________
Ken

2010 Lexus IS-F
2007 Lexus IS 350
2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8
1995 Toyota Supra Turbo 6MT (APU)
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6MT (APU)
1985 Toyota Celica Supra "P" Type 5MT
KJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 03:29 AM   #20
gpomp
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH View Post
Could you be more specific about what you perceive to be a degradation in cornering grip? I ask the question because your experience runs counter to many others. The most comprehensive testing of passenger car tires in conducted by The Tire Rack. Here is a rating of max performance tires and the Michelin PSS has been rated #1 almost since the day it was released. Even the long-in-the-tooth PS2 is still rated #4 overall.... Take a look here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP.

In addition, Michelin and Lexus conducted a comparo of various tires, including the PSS and using the IS-F as a test vehicle. After 20 hard laps around the track, the PSS was the only tire that was not chunking and had the fastest lap times, the best braking and handily won the other performance/handling tests. It's less expensive than the PS2 it replaces and has a significantly higher wear rating (300 to 220). Maybe you got a bad set, but I would sure like to hear more about your specific dislikes and this tire. TIA,
The link you provided is based on consumer survey results. Here's the link to the actual test done by Tire Rack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=148

I have the PSS's on my car right now. I thought the stock PS2's were pretty good but the PSS's are on another level.
gpomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 07:01 AM   #21
melbitoast
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (1)
 
melbitoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 736
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH View Post
Could you be more specific about what you perceive to be a degradation in cornering grip? I ask the question because your experience runs counter to many others. The most comprehensive testing of passenger car tires in conducted by The Tire Rack. Here is a rating of max performance tires and the Michelin PSS has been rated #1 almost since the day it was released. Even the long-in-the-tooth PS2 is still rated #4 overall.... Take a look here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP.

In addition, Michelin and Lexus conducted a comparo of various tires, including the PSS and using the IS-F as a test vehicle. After 20 hard laps around the track, the PSS was the only tire that was not chunking and had the fastest lap times, the best braking and handily won the other performance/handling tests. It's less expensive than the PS2 it replaces and has a significantly higher wear rating (300 to 220). Maybe you got a bad set, but I would sure like to hear more about your specific dislikes and this tire. TIA,
I'm talking about everyday, run-of-the-mill usage with bits of spirited cornering. I'm not tracking the car, nor have I ever taken it to a track where I can test the tires at higher speeds. So everything you're talking about above has nothing to do with my experience.

Where I'm disappointed in these tires is from very basic manuveurs, such as turning a corner on a side street. The light that turns into my neighborhood has a nice, wide street that allows for faster turns than normal. It never fails that if I even get up to 3000 rpm turning that corner from a red light, my back end breaks loose. I didn't have that trouble even with my 1/2 worn Bridgestones. Based on all the reviews prior to purchase, I had much higher expectations.

I think the only true way to compare would be to drive two Fs with different tires. Fortunately, one of my best friends is buying his first F today or tomorrow (used '08), so I'll borrow his and test the same corners. Perhaps then my opinions will change.
__________________
2008 ISF - Cronus
MODS done: Sikky headers, custom exhaust, Injen intake, Exact diffuser, RMI scoops (blue), CF front lip accents, CF roof wrap, CF trunk wrap, CF grille wrap

MODS to-be-done: sway bar, springs


"If you ain't first, you're last!"
melbitoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 07:02 AM   #22
melbitoast
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (1)
 
melbitoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 736
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrideraz View Post
^^^^Take a walk through this thread. I know it's pretty big, but if you only look at the pics, you'll get the idea. It really is not a tough job.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/susp...ar-thread.html

Lou
Awesome, Lou! Thanks!
__________________
2008 ISF - Cronus
MODS done: Sikky headers, custom exhaust, Injen intake, Exact diffuser, RMI scoops (blue), CF front lip accents, CF roof wrap, CF trunk wrap, CF grille wrap

MODS to-be-done: sway bar, springs


"If you ain't first, you're last!"
melbitoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 10:06 AM   #23
KJH
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: California
Posts: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpomp View Post
The link you provided is based on consumer survey results. Here's the link to the actual test done by Tire Rack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=148

I have the PSS's on my car right now. I thought the stock PS2's were pretty good but the PSS's are on another level.
This is true, but I posted the consumer survey results because they are based, so far, on almost 750,000 miles of driving in all conditions (and more than 11-million miles for the PS2s). Given the priciness of Michelin tires, and the miles driven, I think these results are at least as reliable as the results from the test conducted by Tire Rack. The fact the consumer survey mirrors the tests conducted by tire professionals is noteworthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbitoast View Post
I'm talking about everyday, run-of-the-mill usage with bits of spirited cornering. I'm not tracking the car, nor have I ever taken it to a track where I can test the tires at higher speeds. So everything you're talking about above has nothing to do with my experience.

Where I'm disappointed in these tires is from very basic manuveurs, such as turning a corner on a side street. The light that turns into my neighborhood has a nice, wide street that allows for faster turns than normal. It never fails that if I even get up to 3000 rpm turning that corner from a red light, my back end breaks loose. I didn't have that trouble even with my 1/2 worn Bridgestones. Based on all the reviews prior to purchase, I had much higher expectations.

I think the only true way to compare would be to drive two Fs with different tires. Fortunately, one of my best friends is buying his first F today or tomorrow (used '08), so I'll borrow his and test the same corners. Perhaps then my opinions will change.
The consumer survey I cited is the very essence of "everyday, run-of-the-mill usage..." you cited in your response above. I wish you the best of luck in getting your issues sorted, because I know I would be deeply disappointed if the tires did not meet my expectations.
__________________
Ken

2010 Lexus IS-F
2007 Lexus IS 350
2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8
1995 Toyota Supra Turbo 6MT (APU)
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6MT (APU)
1985 Toyota Celica Supra "P" Type 5MT
KJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 10:42 AM   #24
MisterSkiz
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (2)
 
MisterSkiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: IL
Posts: 957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCrazyKid View Post
Install of the rear swaybar is a piece of cake. IF you have the hand tools, do it yourself. If you don't have the tools (combination wrenches and socket set) then spend the $105 on a set from Craftsmen and do it yourself. You will then have the tools forever for other projects.

AA
If you have every run your car in the winter on a salted road (might not be an issue for TX or CA), the threads on the bolts that hold the sway bar in will be totally covered in surface rust and a pain to get off with hand tools. I do tons of work on my cars myself and I just took it to Lexus.

The Tech told me he had a pain in the butt getting the old one off because of the rust on the bolt threads.
__________________
2008 IS-F
2009 Urban Runner
2002 CBR F4i
MisterSkiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-12, 07:25 PM   #25
ISCrazy
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 31
Default

Glad to hear all the comments on the PSS's. I'm going to put a set on as soon as I get my new Dyna's!
ISCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-12, 10:53 PM   #26
lowrideraz
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)
 
lowrideraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,602
Default

I'm quite happy with my Bridgestone S-04 PPs. But, I would have chosen the Michelin PSS IF they came in size 285/30/19. Sadly they do not, and I did want to keep the height of the tire, with stock wheels, as close to stock as I could. I know a lot of you guys are happy with the 275/30/19, but they were just a wee bit to short for me, .4" less in OD. The 285/30/19 is .2" less in OD than stock.

IMHO, the ISF is under tired. A car that handles as well and has as much power as the F, needs wider tires (front and rear) to tame the beast. I have an F-Sport rear bar, and am extremely happy with the overall handling of my F.

The wider than stock Continental DWs were better than the stock Michelin PS2s, and the S-04s are a big improvement over the DWs.

The current reviews and surveys have the PSS rated first with the S-04 rated second. The rest of the bunch seem to be also rans. There was an excellent review this month in Car & Driver. The S-04 did quite well against the PSS in all tests except the Dry Autocross test. So, for now at least, it seems that the PSS is the benchmark

My wife's ES is shod with Michelins, and my truck came with Generals, but I sold the stock wheels and tires and put on 18" alloys with Michelins. My F was originally on the dealers lot with chrome stock wheels and Bridgestone RE050As, I made the dealer put on non chromed wheels with Michelin PS2s. So yep, I've had good luck and like Michelin. it's just that size thing

Just my thoughts

Lou
__________________
2008 ISF - Mercury Metallic
2011 Chevrolet Silverado - White

Last edited by lowrideraz; 07-08-12 at 08:23 AM..
lowrideraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-12, 10:53 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel Fitment Guide 2GS/IS-01-05/SC430 dcz GS - Second Generation 108 10-23-14 08:37 PM
Looking for feedback on 285/30/19 on stock wheels at the track I8ABMR IS F 37 10-03-14 05:51 PM
CA WTB: (2) Michelin PS2 275/30/19 Bulls23337 Wheels and Tires Classifieds 6 07-29-13 05:29 PM
Considering lowering front that sits waaay to high! MansionBLD IS F 15 04-06-13 03:29 PM
VA FS: 245/40ZR-18 (2) 275/35ZR-18 (2) Michelin PS2 tires ZippyGuy Wheels and Tires Classifieds 9 05-14-09 06:57 PM


Tags
275, chunking, gs350, holes, install, isf, lexus, michelin, pilot, pot, potholes, psss, sport, super, track

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:59 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info