IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sunroof Water Leak: Normal???

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-12, 07:01 PM
sll0037
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sunroof Water Leak: Normal???

Has anyone else experienced water leaking from the sunroof under high pressure water?

To make a long story short, I took my 2008 ISF into the dealer for a simple sunroof rattle while in the tilt position. They removed the sunroof and "bent/adjusted" these metal tabs that hold the sunroof in place. It fixed the rattle but...

Now I have water coming through the seal on the sunroof when going through a touch-less car wash.

I also have a lot more wind noise coming from the sunroof in the closed position at freeway speeds.

I've had it back to the dealer 3 times now and they cant seem to fix the issue. Instead of getting water to stream through the seal, now it only drips through but I still have a lot of wind noise.

I know for a fact the sunroof did not so much as drip water before the dealer worked on the sunroof.

The dealer tells me this is normal?
Old 05-03-12, 07:04 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this still under warranty? I'd find a new dealership to try and fix it... of course it's not normal for a moonroof to leak.... LOL
Old 05-03-12, 07:14 PM
sll0037
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
is this still under warranty? I'd find a new dealership to try and fix it... of course it's not normal for a moonroof to leak.... LOL
Yes it's under warranty.

I've been without my car for almost two weeks now with no resolution and I'm growing very frustrated.

Part of the reason I've gone back to the same dealer is because they are well respected here on the site and they've had to address some interior damage caused while under their car.

I have no complaints with my adviser. He's a pleasure to work with but their workmanship leaves something to be desired.
Old 05-03-12, 07:32 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain... I'm not thrilled with my stealership's work either...
Old 05-03-12, 09:22 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sunroof alignment and noises can be a challenge to fix and if not handled correctly from the beginning.....like the pulling, bending, twisting.....there is no going back. It's just a guessing game once that approach has been taken since you really don't have a way to undo that type of guess work. A good tech. that is not trying to flat rate his way through a repair knows better. Good luck, hopefully they can make it right because the result you have is not acceptable.
If you originally had a leak and ended up with a rattle but no leak I'm sure that would have been "normal" as well.
Old 05-05-12, 11:13 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A dumb question: did anyone check for a clogged drain tube?
Old 12-29-16, 03:09 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree. I just disconnected the four tubes and flush them out and we connected them. Before that I would hear a dropping noise like droplets falling. Now everything is fixed. When the sunroof is closed check to see if the sunroof is even as you can adjust the screws up-and-down because your sunroof might be raised up giving you that wind noise.
Old 12-29-16, 03:30 PM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
A dumb question: did anyone check for a clogged drain tube?
i second this. I had a leak from a tube being disconnected from the fender well where it drains out. The tube was bent that it allowed water to trickle out but would also back up. Before I started pulling my truck apart (where my water was coming from) I opened the sunroof and poured water in the tray. There are 4 drain tubes that exit at or around the wheel wells.
Old 12-30-16, 07:41 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

100% agree with checking clogged drain tubes. This is the most common cause of sunroof leaks. Had the same problem with my Bimmer. Blew out the tubes with compressed air, all is well.
Old 12-30-16, 09:48 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by sll0037
Has anyone else experienced water leaking from the sunroof under high pressure water?

To make a long story short, I took my 2008 ISF into the dealer for a simple sunroof rattle while in the tilt position. They removed the sunroof and "bent/adjusted" these metal tabs that hold the sunroof in place. It fixed the rattle but...

Now I have water coming through the seal on the sunroof when going through a touch-less car wash.

I also have a lot more wind noise coming from the sunroof in the closed position at freeway speeds.

I've had it back to the dealer 3 times now and they cant seem to fix the issue. Instead of getting water to stream through the seal, now it only drips through but I still have a lot of wind noise.

I know for a fact the sunroof did not so much as drip water before the dealer worked on the sunroof.

The dealer tells me this is normal?
Simple answer: no, leaking anything at all is not normal. From the factory service manual:

4. CHECK FOR WATER LEAK

(a) After adjusting the sliding roof glass sub-assembly, check for water leaks.

(b) If there are any leaks, readjust the sliding roof glass sub-assembly.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 12-30-16 at 10:55 AM.