IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Raybestos pads anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-12, 11:36 AM
rhy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Raybestos pads anyone?

Raybestos rotors seem to be popular and good for the price, so I was wondering about their "Advanced Technology" pads with part # ATD1365M (front) and ATD1366M (rear).

Has anyone tried them on an IS-F?

They are semi-metallic pads and there is some positive feedback on other forums, but the fact that they can be found for $30 (regular price $70-something) makes me wonder if they are any good.
Old 05-02-12, 05:38 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you daily the csr you will be fine, but they do not brake as well as factory pads. Do not track at all with them... Extreme danger. No joke
Old 05-03-12, 08:43 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^^Yes agreed...for daily street use its ok, don't use it for the track though...is it $30 each for front and back? try the ones that Sarge recommends and see if that is cheaper. Forgot the name...
Old 05-03-12, 10:34 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^SargeISF recommended Wearever brake pads.

Fronts: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...RPBRCOAMS_____

Rears: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...RPBRCOAMS_____

Sarge's review:
Originally Posted by SargeISF
Update 2/16/2012

Got my TPMS switched to the new rims, and changed the brake pads to Wearever ceramic. 0 Brake Dust!!!!

The pads were purchased through Advance Autoparts. They were the same as the Mercedes AMG. I read some good reviews on them through serveral boards, and said what the heck. They were $90 for fronts and back. Ill tell you guys, I have been pounding these, and the grip is incredible, no noise what so ever, and absolutley no brake dust on the rims after a 500 mile trip to Orlando and back. I highly recommend them! You cannot go wrong.

Part No. CNAD 1365 Fronts $51.99
Part No. CNAD 1366 Rear $45.99

Last edited by VtotheJ; 05-03-12 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-13-12, 11:02 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I ordered the Wearever pads from Advanced last week. I'm actually sitting in the Starbucks next store to the store.....Just picked them up.
I'm going to pop them in tomorrow if it doesn't start raining again.
I'll let you guys know what I think after some miles on them.
I'll be so happy when I can stop cleaning my wheels so frequently.
Old 06-29-12, 10:34 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

I finally had the chance to install the Wearever pads last night and I also did a full brake flush with Super Blue. My first impression is on par with other peoples comments. The initial bite is not as grabby which I'm actually happy about. It's much less annoying when in traffic or around town. The pad it's self seems to perform as well as stock after a short break in. I can already say the dust issue is way way way better. If I drove my car for 20 miles and did a little hard braking with the stock pads my wheels would need cleaning. After a break in and then some hard braking with the new pads I have clean wheels.
Finally

Now to get a set of track pads.
Old 06-29-12, 02:12 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Looks like they are on sale, 20% off. $78.38 for front and rear pads shipped

I don't even need pads but damn at this price and less dust I think this is a no brainer
Old 06-29-12, 04:06 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans

I don't even need pads but damn at this price and less dust I think this is a no brainer
I don't truly subscribe to the the notion that "more expensive is better" but personally I would never put a pad like this on my high performance vehicle.

Brake pad vary GREATLY in quality and performance. The ISF is a heavy performance driven car and should have a pad aligned with it's intended use. For the same reason I would not put on some HR rated Big-O brand touring tire on it either.

I have said this over and over in the ISF forum (911 forum, S2000 forum, etc...) you have to pay to play. Some cars are just more expensive to properly maintain.

Do you really want to compromise your braking system? Do you really want to risk your stopping potential, braking distance, brake fade, heat capacity, material transfer to your rotors?

When I buy pads for a Toyota Tercel I have different standards.

Just food for thought.
Old 06-29-12, 06:09 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans

If you have the stock pads these seem to be the way to go. I would say come by and try my car first but that would be a long ride

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
I don't truly subscribe to the the notion that "more expensive is better" but personally I would never put a pad like this on my high performance vehicle.

Brake pad vary GREATLY in quality and performance. The ISF is a heavy performance driven car and should have a pad aligned with it's intended use. For the same reason I would not put on some HR rated Big-O brand touring tire on it either.

I have said this over and over in the ISF forum (911 forum, S2000 forum, etc...) you have to pay to play. Some cars are just more expensive to properly maintain.

Do you really want to compromise your braking system? Do you really want to risk your stopping potential, braking distance, brake fade, heat capacity, material transfer to your rotors?

When I buy pads for a Toyota Tercel I have different standards.

Just food for thought.
I completely agree with you as this is my way of thinking as well. If you knew me or the cars I have built you would know I'm not one to cheep out and I defiantly "pay to play". But, like you I also don't agree that "more expensive is better" .
The reason for theses pads is not for all out track day performance. I also don't consider them a downgrade. If you look at your aftermarket street pad options everyones reviews say that they don't work as well as stock. Even expense pads like Project Mu. So far I think these pads work as well as stock, maybe even better due to the low dust and less aggressive initial bite.
These just happen to be a low priced street pad that work well. I know that I don't plan on weaving through rush hour traffic to race a civic with these pads. They are for street use and spirited driving within the limits. Do I think they will be a safety issue? Absolutely not, we have giant brakes that garb very well. Even with duralast pads these brakes would outperform most cars.
Maybe it's a little to early for me to review these pads but so far they grab great, don't dust, don't make noise and eliminate the "overbite" on the street. I am happy with them and if that changes I'll be sure to update my post. Then again I'm not the one who discovered them and other guys here have been using them for a while with no issue. Maybe they can give another update.
Old 06-29-12, 07:12 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the wearever pads. Gonna install it tomorrow. I can provide some info also when I try it on some spirited canyon run on how its compared to OEM pads. I was going to buy the project mu pads, but decided to put the money on the KW V3 coils. I dont track my car yet so no big deal. Maybe later on when I get my suspension done and new tire set up. Then I'll get some better pads for the track days. I cant spend to much on my car. Im only allowed 2k a month.
Old 08-02-12, 02:19 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any updates on the Wearever pads from the folks that have them? I am fed up with my brake dust.
Old 08-02-12, 02:34 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Mine been good so far. I like it better than the OEM pads. Not only less dust its smoother stopping. For 80 it doesnt hurt to try. Thats why I got them. I like it. So looks like I dont need the Project Mu.
Old 08-02-12, 02:54 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm seriously thinking about switching to these pads. I only drive my car on weekends and still have to wash my rims weekly to keep them acceptable. Perhaps this is because I'm always in a lot of traffic but I want some pads that at least allow me a week off.
Old 08-02-12, 03:35 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

You really cant go wrong. Just try them out. If you dont like the pads it only 80 anyway. You can just buy the project mu's for 485.
Old 08-02-12, 04:50 PM
GenuineKid
Driver

i just picked up a set for $80. they have 15% off till aug 4 and free shipping so might as well have a set ready

Quick Reply: Raybestos pads anyone?