IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Knocking Issue-revisited

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-12, 05:15 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joshhleee
wait, is the knocking sound the same as like a ticking noise coming from the engine? Is it possible for my car to have carbon build up with 12k miles. Also when I accelerate while cruising my car makes a THUNK sound, read on the forum that it may be the axle hub? Or is it the same thing as the knocking sound, not too sure. LOL.
the ticking is the fuel injectors....
Old 07-20-12, 07:40 AM
Straightik
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Whatever happened with the engine knock in your car?
The case is still open at Lexus, and I've yet to take it back up to Kansas City again to get it fixed. The Service Manager up there seems determined to help me as much as possible so it's prommising! It's just the 6hr round trip that keeps me from running it up there! The knocking hasn't worsened but it's def not going away anytime soon. I'll probably re-attack in August to get it tore apart.
Old 07-20-12, 11:07 AM
silverlexg
Driver

Straightik - Next time you back in KC let me know, Im right near ERDOC - We'll have a mini meet :-)
Old 07-20-12, 11:28 AM
Straightik
Rookie

Originally Posted by silverlexg
Straightik - Next time you back in KC let me know, Im right near ERDOC - We'll have a mini meet :-)
Hellz yah! We gotta get the Midwest back on the map and make those SoCal guys jealous! Have you heard his Joe-Z exhaust yet? He let me drive it around the parking lot, it's pretty killer!
Old 07-20-12, 12:06 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

2010 Obsidian F with 20k miles is on its way to us, it better not start ball bearing ticking/knocking or leaking at the WP...

~Dv8
Old 07-20-12, 12:24 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by zapa
the ticking is the fuel injectors....
that should be covered under warranty right? and how would my fuel injectors be bad already, i only use shell.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-20-12, 02:05 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Straightik
Hellz yah! We gotta get the Midwest back on the map and make those SoCal guys jealous! Have you heard his Joe-Z exhaust yet? He let me drive it around the parking lot, it's pretty killer!
Yeah he got to ride in and drive my car for quite a bit before he got his F. . I still feel bad we weren't able to hang more that day you swung by to visit.... If you'd like a place to stay, while you're up in KC, feel free to stay at my place! We could cook some steaks on the grill and have a few beers... I'd like to feel the ride on your kw's vs my soon installed BCR's.
Old 07-27-12, 02:43 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joshhleee
that should be covered under warranty right? and how would my fuel injectors be bad already, i only use shell.
Thats the normal sound fuel injectors make. You are fine. My dads Porsche makes the same exact noise its just a small metallic click.
Old 07-29-12, 12:31 PM
Straightik
Rookie

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
Yeah he got to ride in and drive my car for quite a bit before he got his F. . I still feel bad we weren't able to hang more that day you swung by to visit.... If you'd like a place to stay, while you're up in KC, feel free to stay at my place! We could cook some steaks on the grill and have a few beers... I'd like to feel the ride on your kw's vs my soon installed BCR's.
The Wife is letting you splurge on the suspension now?! Heck yah! I'm headed home (OR) for the next two weeks but after that I'll be scheduling another apointment with Superior Lexus to have them take a look at the knocking some more. Maybe we can work something out then!

Cheers
Old 07-29-12, 12:47 PM
7No
Intermediate

I used to have to set the clearances on the valves of my Boss 302 ('69) periodically (fun dodging hot squirting oil). You should be able to tell the difference between valve lash noise and engine knock. Does anyone listen to engines with a stethoscope anymore? You could borrow ERDOC's.
Old 07-29-12, 01:39 PM
Straightik
Rookie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flcQz...ature=youtu.be

Here, this should help, this was yesterday at the airport. As you can see, I'm about 10ft away and you can here the knocking, and if it was just valve clearances it would probably be consistent, not random like mine. It's a little hard to hear but if you crank up your sound you can tell.
Old 08-02-12, 11:44 PM
2008ISF
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey guys,

I've been posting on an old thread, and decided to start my own after some convincing

i've been dealing with the knocking issue for the past month or so on my 08 F(44k miles). I originally took it to a local dealer here but the stated that Lexus wanted them to compare it to another IS-F, but since they never see them,.. they gave it back. Soo, I ended up sending a video to all the Lexus dealerships within a few hours distance and finally got Superior Lexus North in Kansas City to take a look at it. They determined it was most likely from carbon build-up in the engine and that's a $400 "service" item. After talking the gentleman for a while I argued that since it was knocking, it should be covered by warranty and he finally agreed. He called me back and stated that they don't hear the sound anymore, so that must have been the fix. I told in order to hear the knocking noise you have to get the engine really warmed up, like 20min of freeway or 30min of city, and he said they did. So, I drove back to Kansas City knowing that it most likely wasn't fixed, but at least the motor received a spit shine

Long story long, I have the car back and it's still making the knocking noise after it gets good and hot. My only hope is now that they have started a case with Lexus I can continue to return it to the dealership saying it's not fixed, hoping they'll slowly start to realize that they have to dive in to the motor itself. I've handed every service manager a copy of the Valve-Guide repair printout that others have had, and most take it but conclude that it's not the same issue.

I did however get a chance to swing by ERDOC's workplace and check out his USB F with Joe-z Intake and Exhaust with headers. He was super busy (saving lives), but let me drive it around the lot to get a good listen, and it sounds incredible! Anyways us mid-western's are far and few between so it was good to chat with him for a few.
So did you ever figure out what the fix was for your car?

I am the second owner of a 2008 IS-F. Looks like whomever owned the car before me had their fun. Original owner/purchaser was in Las Vegas.

Anyway, I have the same random ticking noise and I know it's not carbon build up. I use 91 octane Chevron with Techron with every fill up. I also add a can of BG 44K to fuel tank when I do my oil changes. Plus I add 2 cans of BG MOA additive to the crank case when I also do the oil changes. The car doesn't use any oil...I check regularly.

I only use Mobil 1, 5W-30 oil and High Efficiency Oil Filter for every oil change since I have owned the car.

When I bought the car, it had about 59,xxx miles on it. It has about 70,xxx on it now.

Just recently drove the car out to Las Vegas. Mileage was about 27.9 mpg with A.C. on from San Diego area to Vegas. From Vegas to home in the San Diego area with the A.C. on it was 30.7 mpg.

Car doesn't run rough or hesitate like it is a tight valve. Never cranks like it has a low hole or tight valve. It runs smoothly, but at idle it has a random knocking/ticking noise. Not sure if the noise is from the valvetrain or from down low in the crank case. Never really tried to pinpoint it yet.

I love this car and I would like to get this issue resolved before my extended warranty expires.

Anyone have any ideas?

Plus my car sounds exactly like this one in the video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flcQz...ature=youtu.be, that Straightik posted.

I will post a few videos of my car here in a little bit for comparison.

Thanks!
Old 08-03-12, 07:22 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

my car also has that same exact knocking noise as in that video as well. However, i don't think its much to worry about.
Old 08-03-12, 07:32 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

The Wife is letting you splurge on the suspension now?! Heck yah! I'm headed home (OR) for the next two weeks but after that I'll be scheduling another apointment with Superior Lexus to have them take a look at the knocking some more. Maybe we can work something out then!

Cheers
sounds good! just give me a heads up so I can try to move keep my schedule open... Yes, the wife finally let me get some coilovers.... Not the Ohlins which I really wanted, but only the BCR's for now.... trying to get some more negative camber to save my track tires and drop it a bit as well..... They should be getting delivered Monday! think i'll be getting them installed next friday. I wanna see how your KW's ride though!
Old 08-03-12, 12:20 PM
silverlexg
Driver

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
sounds good! just give me a heads up so I can try to move keep my schedule open... Yes, the wife finally let me get some coilovers.... Not the Ohlins which I really wanted, but only the BCR's for now.... trying to get some more negative camber to save my track tires and drop it a bit as well..... They should be getting delivered Monday! think i'll be getting them installed next friday. I wanna see how your KW's ride though!
Let me know when you set it up - I'll swing by to check it out

Quick Reply: Knocking Issue-revisited