Rmi scoops review

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-12, 10:43 AM
mikelexF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rmi scoops review

Ok guys,

Those of you that were lucky enough to get their RMI SCOOPS, Lets do a review....

I installed mine last night and I must say the install was pretty simple...

The issues I had were when i flipped the horn I didn't have enough slack in the harness so I had to take the harness off of the clip that was holding it on.

Another issue is I think the horn is grounded to the chassis so when I installed the scoops I had trouble grounding it properly... WIth a rubber washer I was able to play around with it and got it working...

NOW for the the review

MY MPG AVG

7.8 miles per gallon on 1/2 tank
19.7 miles per gallon on full tank
29.7 miles per gallon on full tank highway driving
21.4 miles per gallon (went back down with a little aggressive driving)

PERFORMANCE

I feel a big difference!!! the car seems to drive a lot smoother. I have the Joe Z PTS system with takeda intake combo and before the install the car felt real "jerky." It felt like that power was there but the car wasn't breathing properly.
IMO i can feel that the car is getting a lot more air and is breathing properly now.

HP I cant really tell the difference but the car does seem more responsive... Again i really don't have any hard data to prove this but I know my car well enough that I notice it when it drives differently.

Im sure the rest of the guys have different reviews... Looking forward the hearing them
Old 04-28-12, 10:47 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I gave up thinking about MPG when i realized I bought a car with a 5 liter V8...lol. MPG went out the door when I removed the mufflers and resonator.

Would love to hear more from everyone though...got any pics of this thing installed whatever it is?
Old 04-28-12, 11:01 AM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Does this device replace the intake pipe?

(If so, perhaps I should hold off on getting an intake until I hear more info about this...)
Old 04-28-12, 11:08 AM
BryanLeISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IceIridium
Does this device replace the intake pipe?

(If so, perhaps I should hold off on getting an intake until I hear more info about this...)
No it keeps the stock system. I installed a takeda intake with it and I love it. Car feels very smooth and pulls nicely around 40+ it feels like it struggles much less to.breathe. For $150 I'm happy with my purchase. Simple install too!
Old 04-28-12, 11:17 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

I've got some oceanfront property sell some of you folks.

Take it to the drag strip before and after, none of your testing is legitimate so far.
Old 04-28-12, 11:30 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't want to sound like a buzz kill here, but can someone tell me why this mod would make any difference at all esp with the stock intake? I like most others here would like to have options available in which they are proven, but I'm just having a hard time with this one.

So other than how folks perceive the mod, lets find a way to test this out. Perhaps some 60-1xx mph runs back-to-back with and without them on the same car using some sort of v-box or something? I'd like to see multiple runs done and then take the averages and compare.
Old 04-28-12, 11:37 AM
mikelexF
Rookie

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
I've got some oceanfront property sell some of you folks.

Take it to the drag strip before and after, none of your testing is legitimate so far.
Well im sure there will be someone out of the 30 people that was in the group buy that will have access to a dyno and a drag strip that is willing to get some hard data... But on the other hand it was a relatively cheap $150 upgrade. I guess we'll have to wait for the other members reviews.

Last edited by mikelexF; 05-01-12 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-28-12, 11:39 AM
BryanLeISF
Pole Position

As people have stated, my review was based on perception and what was felt. I do admit I was caught up in the hype and jumped the gun by purchasing without concrete evidence. When I have time I would like to perform tests for you guys. Maybe someone can beat me to the punch or even janoy can chime in

Last edited by caymandive; 04-28-12 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Combined post to include "without"
Old 04-28-12, 11:41 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Neither a Dyno or a drag strip will do for testing this mod out. It will have to be highway speed runs. On the dyno you won't be able to simulate the airflow and on the drag strip there are too many variables.
Old 04-28-12, 11:54 AM
BryanLeISF
Pole Position

I'd be down to perform the highway runs for you, but I have no way to record my results. If I had a v-box like you mentioned I'd be on it
Old 04-28-12, 10:49 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

I'll be installing mine sometime early next week. Of course I won't have any hard data to provide you guys with but I doubt there will be any huge performance gains. If anything, the car should be able to breathe better at higher speeds. As I commute everyday, that's when I'll really see if my mileage stayed the same or if it increased as advertised. I'll keep u guys posted
Old 04-29-12, 12:13 AM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just installed ind today, but havent really drove it to test it.. but the install was fairly easy
Old 04-29-12, 01:04 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I figure even if you get a 1mpg gain overall, at $4+ gallon for gas it will easily pay for itself within a year.
Old 04-29-12, 05:21 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a joke right... You feel the power difference from these.... Your going faster cause your wallet is lighter
Old 04-29-12, 06:17 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought them for aesthetics. I want the cool blue behind me custom grille to set it off a bit more but i have not put them on yet so i can't give any feed back, but I image that its going to make no difference.

Quick Reply: Rmi scoops review