IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ARKYM IS-F Front and Rear bodykit revisted.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-12, 09:55 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
I wouldn't chance it. A thousand dollar lip held on by tape + going 140mph=
what's the prefered method then? I've also read on another thread that some people are using polyurethane glue (but it sounds pretty permanent to me.... )
Old 05-05-12, 11:48 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ I'd ask the company what the preferred method is(maybe bolts/screws). I'd only use double sided tape for a trunk spoiler or something like that.
Old 05-05-12, 11:58 AM
Nate008
Pole Position

I would try to use bolts/screws on the bottom part of it where no one would see and use 3M or some type of strong adhesive to have double protection
Old 05-05-12, 12:59 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you guys talking about the front lip, diffuser or both?
I would agree that the front lip should be secured with fasteners, tape is not enought.
For the rear diffuser the strong 3M tape up top and screws at the bottom should work well. Just be sure to properly prep the paint for the 3M tape.
Old 05-05-12, 03:09 PM
F4Fast
Pole Position

I am using a epoxy that will pretty much be secure to the car. Taking it off will damage the paint, but so will the 3M tape, id rather do it right, play it safe and go with epoxy. You can look at my thread and see jow mine looks. Flush, and i have done @ 140-150mph quite a few times now, and those things wont move
Old 05-06-12, 12:21 PM
laoreflxzn
Driver School Candidate

I found this, stronger than the original:

Old 05-06-12, 03:22 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Default Need help please!!!

So I just "finished" installing my Arkym Rear diffuser....
First off, let me say, I've never done anything like this before so this was DEFINITELY a learning experience... and I'm not sure what to do at this point...
I washed the bumer... dried it. prepped with isopropyl alcohol and then used the 3M 94 Primer

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...SevTSeSSSSSS--

Next I used the 3M tape... I did apply the tape to more than just the recessed portion of the diffuser as you can see in the pic (i just don't wan't this thing to come off so I'm trying to be ****..)

well, when I placed the diffuser up to the bumper it "stuck" and didn't let me adjust position I did try to pell it off to "adjust it some" but to no avail... I did dry fit it prior to this and it seemed like there wouldn't be an issue... well of course none of the holes on the bottom of the diffuser lined up and here's where my problem continued.
I had to drill new holes where the diffuser hole for the plastic push type connector ended up. ( I also had to drill the hole bigger earlier in the diffuser just for the thing to fit through it as well ... 11/32" if anyone wants to know)
But no matter how hard I tried, I wasn't however able to get the holes for the outer bolts to lign up so I could get them started and it doesn't look like "drilling a new hole" will be the answer as it looks like there is a bolt welded to the piece that holds the "exhaust diffuser assembly" that the bolt needs to screw into.... In addition, there is a small and gap between the bumper and the diffuser at the top approximately 8-10 inches long and 2mm wide or so that I can't get the tape to adequately stick there to "close the gap".... What the heck should I do at this point.. I feel stuck and not sure what to do...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by ERDoc74; 05-06-12 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-06-12, 03:36 PM
F4Fast
Pole Position

Erdoc, before installing that, you should run a rough sand paper on those edges and clean it up so t could make a better stick, my two cents still do for the epoxy, went 155mph today after car meet and not one movement on that lip, or diffuser, will have to try it with a go pro cam to let you guys enjoy that. Good luck with the kit and im sure you will enjoy it. I had about 6 people ask me where i got the kit, i told them where and was proud to say 1 of 5 in all states to have the kit
Old 05-06-12, 03:45 PM
SargeISF
Lead Lap

^^^Sick!!!
Old 05-06-12, 04:30 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

On the longer runs of tape ......the trick is to lift just the corners so that when in place....... you have little red tape tabs or the backing color (so to speak) sticking out. It is imperative you keep the tape runs as long as possible, as little pieces are hard to deal with. I even use masking tape to tape the tape backing to the front of the piece you are attaching.

When you fit it, just the small exposed areas of the tape will stick - this gives you the ability (if you plan it right) to remove and re-position as necessary. When your happy press on the areas and then pull the tape tabs which will expose the tape - press as you go.

If you expose all of the tape at one time - you have no choice to get it right in one shot - as you have discovered.

Digger08
Old 05-06-12, 05:07 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Fffffffffffffffffffffffffff
you think I can remove it without destroying it or my bumper???
Old 05-07-12, 06:41 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If it has to come off and it sounds like it has to. I would run a lfew layers of masking tape along the bumper cover where the top edge of the diffuser meets it. Warm it a little with a heat gun and work it with plastic trim tools one section at a time. Once you get a good section removed you should be able to cut the 3M tape with a razor blade.
You may also want to try an adhesive remover but I would not apply heat after using it.
You will most likely have paint damage but the important part is not to damage the diffuser.

Trim Tools
http://tinyurl.com/c9h3s8p

Adhesive remover
http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/adhremove.aspx

Good luck
Old 05-07-12, 08:18 AM
F4Fast
Pole Position

That is one reason why i did not choose the 3M aswell, it will make a bigger gap, and also once it sticks, IT STICKS. Yes the two lower holes in the middle had to be drilled out a bit so the clips would fit on. And also, the outer bolts were a bit off BUT when you pushed be bumper in t would close the outer cap and gave me a clean flush look. Now, there is a section of the bumper that has a small gap but hardly noticeable. Hope you can get that thing off withput damaging the bumper. This is why i went with epoxy, no matter how you look at it, if you decide to remove it, its a pain in the ***, where with the glue youre sure about that thing not coming off. Keep us updated to see how it turns out
Old 05-07-12, 04:32 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Ok... so I spent about 3 hours removing it today and cleaning off the bumper...
I did buy a heat gun, but that didn't seem to do much... I ended up pulling apart and using first a razor blade, then finally a longer serated kitched knife to slide in between the bumper and diffuser to cut the foam tape.... total PITA!!! I CAN'T believe I didn't scratch the heck out of the bumper doing this or end up cracking the diffuser! so now while I'm waiting to figure out how to put it back on at least my bumper doesn't look terrible.
I still can't decide if i'm going to try and attempt this myself again or just take it to an auto shop or body shop and have them do it... If I do attempt to do it again, I'm actually contemplating using the tape again as I'm convinced it definitely wouldn't have come off no matter how fast I was going. It was stuck on good! If I went this route, I would try the technique that someone mentioned above about leaving the tape backing on with a tab sticking out and getting the diffuser positioned where you want it, then slowly remove the backing while it's in place. Or I may glue it using a polyurethane glue... I can't decide... the one good thing about the 3M tape was that IT WAS removable... (even though a lot of work) and in the future if I ended up selling the car I could remove the diffuser and get the car back to stock, and sell the diffuser, etc.
so here's the pic of the tape residue on the bumper after removal...

and after cleaning it with 3M adhesive remover

Most of the tape/foam ended up staying on the diffuser and took about 2 hours to get most of it off, but I bet I have another 1-2 hours of work with the adhesive remover to get the remainder off...

Last edited by ERDoc74; 05-07-12 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-07-12, 04:37 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Do they made the side ? i only seen front and rear lips

Quick Reply: ARKYM IS-F Front and Rear bodykit revisted.....