IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

So, I thought how about the C-63, then I saw this...PIX inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-12, 02:44 PM
BMWM2ISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question to be or not to be...

the additional power of the c63 makes it head and shoulders more fun to drive than the is-f
Originally Posted by vraa
op probably has hp envy
Actually, I just want something that's easy to drive, has good performance, and is relaible. I had thought about the C-63 because some people have said that the, "Older" Merc's had reliability problems, and that the newer Merc's were way better.

Take the inline 6 cylinder engine of BMW. That was one of the best and most bullet-proof ever made. Plus it was smooth. I had one in my 530i with Msport packge.

So i guess, which is it, Mercedes or Lexus that will go the extra mile for their customers...?
Old 03-15-12, 02:53 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadog99
What is crazy is that MB lets any MB tech tear down and rebuild an AMG hand built motor.

I would never trust a dealer service department (no matter which auto maker) to:
Remove my engine
completely tear down motor
replace all problem parts with new parts
rebuild motor
re-install motor
refill all fluids

and expect it to run like new. I would have put this thing for sale right away, or try and demand a new car or at the least, a new motor from a shipped crate from auto maker. So a kid goes to auto-school gets a little training and is now responsible for tearing down motors and rebuilding them of that quality? I'll pass.
No kid out of school is doing anything other than oil changes at a dealer - they work up the line like in any trade. AMG actually has a school, additional to their MB training program, for AMG vehicles at every dealership. How awesome would it be to have to wait for someone to fly in or ship your AMG elsewhere for service? Come on now... The people with experience and a GOOD resume get the prestige to work on higher end stuff, they aren't going to employ some 20 year old puke to work on AMG's when the tech with 10yrs of experience working on MB in general is at the shop.

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
I hope I never run into any issues like that on my F....

I hear sooo many bmw fan boys talk about how great their M's are, but I've been telling them, I'm sticking with the reliability and lower maintenance cost with the F. They think their M3's are bullet proof... like most german engineering, I've only heard stories of all of the issues (from mechanical to electrical). Then again, I also think a lot of it comes down to maintenance and how you drive your car.
In their defence, the M-Power motors are and always have been properly built & designed. A lot of bulletproof motors from BMW's in general. But that is kind of controversial to say, if you don't do an oil change on your ISF for a year, its your own fault for catastrophic failure.

But one thing BMW does do right is diesel, they have the best ones in the world - but this is a whole new discussion...
Old 03-15-12, 02:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

working or not their's still something sexy about a 6.2L AMG V8
Old 03-15-12, 02:59 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

where is the pic of the left over nuts and bolts from the reassembly? lol
Old 03-15-12, 04:32 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa
the additional power of the c63 makes it head and shoulders more fun to drive than the is-f(...)
There is definitely more power in the AMG 63 engines than in the IS-F. I got a shorty headers and a tune in my E63 and lay down 460 RWHP...
<belowthebelt>At least the Merc track strait</belowthebelt>

As for the kind of issues the friend's OP and UCrazyKid experienced I think theses are extreme cases that do not represent the average experience of owning a C63 or an IS-F.
Old 03-15-12, 05:55 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

The C63 is nothing more than a fun toy and there are many other cars I'd rather have as a toy than a C63.
Old 03-15-12, 06:29 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

When I sat and drove the C63, it definitely had a nice snarling growl when you punch it. But it didn't do anything for me. Sure, it has more power than the IS F, but that doesn't necessarily make it better. Interior wise, this and the M3 couldn't compare to the F. When I see it on the roads, it catches my eye for a split second because the design cues still look good to me, though not as striking as the previous generation IMO, but after that the sensation subsides. I do agree with Hoovey2411- that 6.2L V8 is beastly in its own right!
Old 03-15-12, 09:44 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
If you think Lexus and the ISF are immune to this sort of failure, think again. Check my post here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...t-74-days.html

My entire engine was pulled, torn down to nothing and rebuilt by the dealer. And it took them 4 months!
Engine **** of the ISF to come.
I do not think anyone here is suggesting that Lexus or Toyota is bulletproof. There is no car that is.

We are talking odds here. The vast majority of Lexus/Toyota cars are way more reliable than a BMW or MB. Even my buddy who worked in a BMW dealership says so.

Sorry that you had a major issue with your car. I certainly do not think it is common for a Lexus.
Old 03-15-12, 11:00 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
I do not think anyone here is suggesting that Lexus or Toyota is bulletproof. There is no car that is.

We are talking odds here. The vast majority of Lexus/Toyota cars are way more reliable than a BMW or MB. Even my buddy who worked in a BMW dealership says so.

Sorry that you had a major issue with your car. I certainly do not think it is common for a Lexus.
Maybe so, but do a search here for ISF engine knock or metal clicking sound, I am certainly not alone. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ound-help.html
Old 03-16-12, 08:02 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

I would have FREAKED if I saw my engine tore apart like UCrazyKid's and the way they had parts precariously laying on top of each other, ready to fall (and I"m sure some did) and get damaged....
then to add they didn't even let him know first! I would have been FUMING and ready to explode! I agree with others, and would have got rid of it ASAP!
Old 03-16-12, 09:24 AM
spddemon
Pole Position

Its unfortunate that will never know how many F's have had that kind of engine problem. Not many people post problems on the Internet. I would like to see the Lexus files to see all warranty and non-warranty work! It's all ways a gamble, but Lexus has always had a great reputation.
Old 03-16-12, 10:03 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

UCrazyKid, Clearly, your engine problem was a nightmare. And while I do agree no brand is immune to this kind of occurrence, I believe the frequency of such occurrences is much greater with Mercs and Bimmers. My Bimmer lived in the shop and plagued me with one frigging problem after another...after another...etc.

If anything is going to surface with a vehicle, it is more likely to occur during the first year launch of the ride. I do not doubt that the 2008 ISF launch results in lots of engineering mods in the out years.

Hopefully, your stallion is running once again like a champion.
Old 03-16-12, 10:55 AM
SSTHO
Rookie

Having a dealership mechanic tear apart the engine is quite scary. I would certainly never have that done unless it is warranty work and the dealer will stand behind it. I would make sure I have a chat with the mechanic that would be working on the car to gauge my confidence in him prior to giving consent.
Old 03-16-12, 01:43 PM
js619858
Pole Position

The C63 is nice and faster but I don't care to have the fastest car. I want the overall package for the money and the ISF had offered me that.

PLUS ISF get's more looks than the C63 and M3 PERIOD!
Old 03-16-12, 06:23 PM
BMWM2ISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by js619858
The C63 is nice and faster but I don't care to have the fastest car. I want the overall package for the money and the ISF had offered me that.

PLUS ISF get's more looks than the C63 and M3 PERIOD!

Your sig says you sold your 08 ISF. Could I ask what you have now?

Quick Reply: So, I thought how about the C-63, then I saw this...PIX inside