IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

No more flashing AFS light.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-12, 12:25 PM
fasttexasz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No more flashing AFS light.

So there were quite a few off topic items in another thread dealing with the DIY for the MY2011 LED headlights. I have mine all wired up the same as JOE Z that you can search for and find pretty easy so I will not be discussing any how to on the headlights only the disabling of the annoying AFS light.
I got the info from Jeff Lange in the same thread so thanks to him I got it taken care of. I HAVE not driven the car at night yet and will repost when I do. The light DOES go away and the stys off with the car running even after a few minutes. I have detailed pics below and getting to that point was pretty straight forward.
To get the scuff plate off you just give it a tug and it pops right off it is only held in with 4 white plastic clips. .
Next is to pop the dead pedal off again this is a pain but just work your fingers underneath and give it a good pull and it pops right off.
Next just work the carpet back to gain access to the AFS ECU again thanks Jeff for the location and part number.
The pics are as easy as it gets no tools needed and it only took about 20 minutes to complete and that was with verifying everything worked after and the reinstall of all panels. Reinstalling the parts took me maybe 3 minutes no lie.
I will repost later this week with results from night driving to see if there are any draw backs. One side note make sure your wife is awake before starting and stopping your F especially if you have loud exhaust...oops.

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails No more flashing AFS light.-img_2937.jpg   No more flashing AFS light.-img_2938.jpg   No more flashing AFS light.-img_2939.jpg  
Old 02-20-12, 12:33 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet. I knew somebody would figure this out lol
Old 02-20-12, 12:57 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

nice, i might actually do this if I plan on getting the lights!
Old 02-20-12, 12:59 PM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was reading about this in the other thread and I was going to try this tonight but I'm glad to hear it's been confirmed! Great news.
Old 02-20-12, 02:21 PM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

I can confirm it is working. Unplugged plug, started car up and no more flashing light. Now I can remove the black electrical tape covering the annoying light. I do NOT have the 2011 headlights, but I do have blacked out headlights and one of the motors stopped functioning prop.
Old 02-20-12, 02:24 PM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fleadog99
I can confirm it is working. Unplugged plug, started car up and no more flashing light. Now I can remove the black electrical tape covering the annoying light. I do NOT have the 2011 headlights, but I do have blacked out headlights and one of the motors stopped functioning prop.
+1, the black tape did good for me. It annoyed my wife though because she could see it from her angle. LOL
Old 02-20-12, 03:10 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to know. Thanks for doing the homework
Old 02-20-12, 05:21 PM
Nate008
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the awesome pixs and confirming this for us. Mine is off now too. No more tape covering the blinking light woo hoo.
Old 02-20-12, 06:50 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

You guys work way too "fast" here.. (no pun intended)

There are WAY too many wires to be that easy...!!

Unplugging the smaller harness did solve the Flashing AFS OFF light...

BUT, you also just disabled the "AUTO LEVELING" feature of the HID projector..

I wonder which ECU Jeff has in his non AFS optioned IS..?? That might just SOLVE the issue once and for all..

If it were that easy, I think I would have told all you guys by now....

Unfortunately, this is clearly not the fix..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-20-12 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-20-12, 07:24 PM
fasttexasz
Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
You guys work way too "fast" here.. (no pun intended)

There are WAY too many wires to be that easy...!!

Unplugging the smaller harness did solve the Flashing AFS OFF light...

BUT, you also just disabled the "AUTO LEVELING" feature of the HID projector..

I wonder which ECU Jeff has in his non AFS optioned IS..?? That might just SOLVE the issue once and for all..

If it were that easy, I think I would have told all you guys by now....

Unfortunately, this is clearly not the fix..

Joe Z

I realize that Joe that's why I'm gonna give it a few days to see how they are without the auto leveling. The only thing differant as far as I could tell was they stayed centered on start up. I just drove home thru the hills and really didn't see anything change. Small price to pay but if it's just the start up leveling I can live without that to avoid the flashing light and having black electrical tape on the dash. If there's something I am missing here since I jumped the gun please let me know.
Old 02-20-12, 07:43 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by fasttexasz
I realize that Joe that's why I'm gonna give it a few days to see how they are without the auto leveling. The only thing differant as far as I could tell was they stayed centered on start up. I just drove home thru the hills and really didn't see anything change. Small price to pay but if it's just the start up leveling I can live without that to avoid the flashing light and having black electrical tape on the dash. If there's something I am missing here since I jumped the gun please let me know.
Well you stated "..verifying everything worked"...

That's not the case.. IF you would have stated it in your 1st post that this was the only negative side effect, that would have been VERY different..

Why lose another feature?, when you can open the gauge cluster in under 10 minutes to cover the LED with black tape.. and NOT put black tape on top of the cluster lens.

Kudos for posting the pics and going through the effort.. But I don't see how the tape method (done right) is better than losing the Auto Leveling feature of the HID projectors..
(It adjusts through out differnet driving conditions, as needed)

Just my honest opinion..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-20-12 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-20-12, 07:51 PM
fasttexasz
Driver

Joe I know it seems like it should be self explanatory "auto leveling" but if they are adjusted correctly do they move at any other time other tan start up?
Old 02-20-12, 08:14 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by fasttexasz
Joe I know it seems like it should be self explanatory "auto leveling" but if they are adjusted correctly do they move at any other time other tan start up?
Just to make sure, I re-read your 1st post again, it's not mentioned at all..

In one word: YES

Originally Posted by Lexus

• Bi-Xenon™ High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps are brighter than conventional halogen headlamps, use less energy and last significantly longer. In addition, an auto-leveling feature helps to ensure that the headlamps remain pointed at the proper angle. These headlamps also include LED daytime running lights, which use less energy while adding a dramatic air. The IS F comes with LED taillamps and brake lights. Since they illuminate faster than standard bulbs, they can help give the driver behind you more time to respond in emergency situations.
- Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-20-12 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-20-12, 08:20 PM
fasttexasz
Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Just to make sure, I re-read your 1st post again, it's not mentioned at all..

- Joe Z

Oh I see now ehh I'll see how it plays out and let ya knw joe. Thanks for the info knew I could count on you to answer these type of questions.
Old 02-24-12, 08:14 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Does anybody know if this method (unplugging the AFS ecu -- smaller plug) will work the Sewell kit?

Quick Reply: No more flashing AFS light.