IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sulfur/Gunpowder smell in the cabin

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-12, 11:15 AM
FOVFR421
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sulfur/Gunpowder smell in the cabin

I have recently started getting a smell of sulfur or gunpowder smell in the cabin after I have let the horses run a bit. Last night I pushed it partly to hear the 2nd intake open up and partly to get around an idiot in front of me, and within seconds, I got a really bad sulfur smell in the cabin. It has happened on a few different occasions, usually following me opening up the throttle. When I stopped, I smelled the exhaust coming out of the pipes, and I noted the same smell but not as strong.

I have only done 2 mods to my 2008 F. I have switched out the intake with the Joe Z pipe and put in a drop in Tom's filter. The performance has been excellent and I am pleased with both, but I don't know what could be causing the smell.

My initial thoughts is that I either have a hole/leak in the stock exhaust or I am creating too much back pressure with the added air intake volume and stock exhaust.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I would like to have some idea before I go to Lexus since I have changed things a bit from stock.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-12, 11:28 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

The sulfur smell could be because of the catalytic converters.

On some of the newer 4Runners they had a TSB about Sulfur smell under hard acceleration. If I recall correctly it had to do with the catalytic converters, the TSB said to replace them. The sulfur smell did not mean that the cats were not functioning, it just meant that it smelled like a fart, or some good weed.

My wife's 2009 4Runner has this "issue". I have yet to bother with complaining about it.
Old 02-18-12, 12:37 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

its pretty "normal" if you look in the 250/350 forums there is a really long thread on it. General consensus is that its due to the catalytic converters. sometimes switching to a different brand gas can help. I've also found that with my 350 if I go a long time without "getting on it" it will be worse.
Old 02-18-12, 10:05 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealer will most likely pull Lexus Service Bulletin and tell you the smell may be related to fuel. Anyway, switch to air recirculate mode will prevent the odor getting inside.
Old 02-19-12, 06:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by avgj0F
Dealer will most likely pull Lexus Service Bulletin and tell you the smell may be related to fuel. Anyway, switch to air recirculate mode will prevent the odor getting inside.
That's because it's true. The sulfur content of the fuel will determine how much you smell this, and typically you're not burning enough fuel per unit time to smell it, but at WOT, your A/F ratio drops somewhere in the 10.x/1 range (to ensure the engine does not run lean force Lexus to buy you a new engine under warranty) and your air volume is enough to ensure there's a pretty good shot of fuel anyway. So you'll notice it most under heavy load with fuels having higher sulfur content.
Old 02-19-12, 07:08 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I do understand about unburned fuel mixutres & catalytic converter but the odor should not get inside the cabin (With all windows closed). Never had that issue with other cars.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That's because it's true. The sulfur content of the fuel will determine how much you smell this, and typically you're not burning enough fuel per unit time to smell it, but at WOT, your A/F ratio drops somewhere in the 10.x/1 range (to ensure the engine does not run lean force Lexus to buy you a new engine under warranty) and your air volume is enough to ensure there's a pretty good shot of fuel anyway. So you'll notice it most under heavy load with fuels having higher sulfur content.
Old 02-20-12, 07:49 AM
FOVFR421
Rookie

Originally Posted by avgj0F
I do understand about unburned fuel mixutres & catalytic converter but the odor should not get inside the cabin (With all windows closed). Never had that issue with other cars.
I agree. It's not fun saying "Lets go for a ride in my awesome IS-F.....sorry about the fart smell in the cabin!"
Old 02-20-12, 11:50 AM
madastep
Pole Position

hey there's one good thing about no cats...