IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model
View Poll Results: 2010 Lexus ISF vs. 2010 Cadillac CTS-V
2010 Lexus ISF
82.11%
2010 Cadillac CTS-V
17.89%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

2010 Lexus ISF vs. 2010 Cadillac CTS-V...Opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-12, 09:38 PM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All have valid points but at the end of the day the V is still a GM product no matter how they sugar coat it. It will squeak and rattle just like any other Garbage Manufactured .... F for the all around win!
Old 02-17-12, 05:26 PM
valdeztke
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned an IS-F for a year and now currently have a CTS-V. I also had a E93 335i, MKV GTI, C6 Z06 and a ton of other quick cars. With that said...

I do miss my F. It was a very 'precise' car. It felt mechanically accurate, not too uncontrollable and never really on the edge. It was quick, sounded great and everything seemed to be engineered to the micro-milometer.

A few items on the F I didn't care for. The back seat or lack thereof. I don't drink so when I had my F I was always the DD. Fitting four grown dudes or two dudes and 4 girls was very tough thing to pull off in the car. Also, now have a baby and there is no way I could muster today's car seat in the back of my F.

The stereo was horrible in the F. The ELS system in the Acura has been the best I've listened to in an normal OEM car (aside from the 45 speaker Audi HK systems). The ML in the F constantly had a blown subwoofer and it just didn't blow me away.

Back to the driving. Out of sport mode the F seemed boring. Hell, in my first test drive I was like - that it? Then I redrove it in sport mode and it seemed much better. It isn't a light car. It wasn't as nimble as a 997, but it held its own and stayed horizontal well. Almost zero body roll. Traction...ugh. That car needs a better tire - thats for sure!

Why a V now? Well, I'm not sure but the nature of how the power in a V comes on and keeps coming is almost like toying with death at every acceleration. It seems a bit suicidal that I find that fun...but I do. I hear all the comments about GM being full of rattles and out of warranty etc etc. Personally I'd much rather pay for GM work vs Lexus work out of warranty. Also, the LS motors, in case you aren't aware, are some of the most stout and best motors built by GM. Window switches...yeah. Doubt they'll withstand 100,000. I would advise anyone buying a used GM vehicle, to purchase the GMPP warranty.

These two vehicles are worlds apart. Aside from having a V8, 4 doors and RWD....they are totally different. Now we all know the V will leave an F on the track but in day to day, I think the V is too much car for most people, I mean that in a positive way too. Its almost so fast that any fun you try to have will either get you killed or thrown in jail. The F lets you have a little fun without breaking 100mph.

If I were you, I'd go with the F as it sounds like you want something quick and fun. The V isn't quite as fun as it is exciting, but that's only because every hard acceleration could be your last.

As for fuel economy...when talking these two cars...who gives a #)*$)*

Happy Motoring,

Juan
Editor, DCAutoGeek.com
Old 02-17-12, 05:49 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

Nice review! I always enjoy a comparison of 2 cars from someone that actually owned them. The V is a beast no doubt. It was on my list but the reliability of the Lexus sealed the deal.
Old 02-18-12, 05:46 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I own an isf... My choice is made and I couldn't be happier
Old 02-18-12, 07:34 AM
Nate008
Pole Position

I voted for the F.

IMO it comes down to what YOU like more in terms of looks, if reliability is an issue for you and what you plan to use it for. I have had to backup my choice on the F to a couple of co-workers that are "muscle car heads" and call me dumb for getting the F over the V.

They all say the V is faster and I tell them all the same thing. I'm not a track star so to me speed/power isn't everything. I don't care that the V is faster. I think my car looks better inside and out and I feel it's more reliable. If I wanted all out power/speed I would have gotten a Supra/Z06/03-04 Cobra etc.

This kind of thinking reminds me of when I was deciding on buying an 05 STI or an EVO 9 back in 2007.

I thought the STI looked better, the interior looked better, it was more reliable and sounded better (I miss that very distinct boxer engine sound). It was slower than an EVO (even though I hate to admit it), but EVO's had clutch issues, known to be less reliable than Subaru, the interior looked cheap and I felt like it didn't overall look better than an STI. So I got the slower STI and never regretted it. Especially after my friends that were EVO owners talking about their clutch slipping at 30K miles :P and some of the maintenance issues they had. I had almost ZERO maintenance issues for the 41/2 years I owned it.
Old 02-18-12, 10:28 AM
Kramer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

Having been a previous CTS-V owner, I was scared to go American. However, I bit the bullet and bought one and now really do miss it since Ive sold it. Overall dynamics of the car were great. I really enjoyed the power and delivery of power. Overall it was very reliable. No real problems other than a "key gremlin" meaning Satellite radio would work fine with my "key 1" but would not work all the time with "key 2" my wifes......
The only real GRIPE I had with the car were the buttons and ***** with the NAV and radio wore the finish off them quickly. The biggest thing I miss with that car was the sheer grunt power that car had!!!
Just some insight for the "V" bashers out there...
Old 02-18-12, 10:41 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

You didn't by any chance happen to pick up the 2011 USB in chicago did you?
Old 02-19-12, 03:45 PM
B D HEMI
Rookie

Default Cts-v

I agree with the comments by those who have ACTUALLY owned both cars .
I've owned an CTS-V for a little over two years , and without a doubt , overall it is in another league when compared to the isf . Yes I've test driven the isf alonside the V and really other than reliability (although I didn't experience any problems with my v) the v is much more planted car period on or off the track ! Now the reason I sold the CTS-V was because I lusted over the 2012 grand sport "100th centennial edition" corvette . People here always seem to go back to the "old" GM reputation of lousy car building and refuse to look at the new GM quality, which by the way , exceeds toyota's quality these days - this coming from an magna international engineer who tests for quality control on parts for ALL manufactures. Another issue which is mentioned on this board was the so-called wheel hop on the 2009 CTS-V and up cars. Absolutely FALSE ! No way could I get my V to wheel hope , this was engineered by GM using two different thicknesses half shafts to prevent that from happening ! Yes I am biased towards the V because it has proven to be one of the best buys out there and in Canada, both the 2012 isf and cts-v fully equipt are within a couple of thousand dollars of each other... no brainer !

Last edited by B D HEMI; 02-19-12 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-19-12, 03:50 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"new GM quality, which by the way , exceeds toyota's quality these days"
Data to back this up? Sounds anecdotal to me.
Old 02-19-12, 08:59 PM
B D HEMI
Rookie

Default quality

Well I guess you missed the part where I said an engineer from magna international ( design and build various parts of vehicles for several brand names including toyota , honda , ford gm ,chrysler ect) told me that toyota has had several failures and quality control specs are lower than what GM spec out on their parts . Really no surprise , since toyota admitted to quality issues when they were investigated a couple of years back .
Old 02-19-12, 09:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by valdeztke
I Now we all know the V will leave an F on the track

Juan
Editor, DCAutoGeek.com
Juan, wonderful write-up, really enjoyed it but I want to point out with the C&D Lightning Lap at Leguna Seca
CTS-V coupe 3:04.2
IS F 2011+ 3:05.4
IS F 2008-2009- 3:14

Not bad to be down over 100hp
Old 02-19-12, 11:36 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 7No
"new GM quality, which by the way , exceeds toyota's quality these days"
Data to back this up? Sounds anecdotal to me.
Sounds strange considering one of Toyota's key businesses is selling their quality control and improvement methods (Kaizan).

And the GM cars here in Australia (Holden) have a LONG way to go before they are even remotely comparible to any Japanese brand.
Old 02-20-12, 06:07 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Juan, wonderful write-up, really enjoyed it but I want to point out with the C&D Lightning Lap at Leguna Seca
CTS-V coupe 3:04.2
IS F 2011+ 3:05.4
IS F 2008-2009- 3:14

Not bad to be down over 100hp
The Lightning Laps are done at VIR, not Laguna. Those would be horrible lap times at Laguna
Old 02-20-12, 07:43 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by valdeztke

Why a V now? Well, I'm not sure but the nature of how the power in a V comes on and keeps coming is almost like toying with death at every acceleration. It seems a bit suicidal that I find that fun...but I do.

Its almost so fast that any fun you try to have will either get you killed or thrown in jail. The F lets you have a little fun without breaking 100mph.

The V isn't quite as fun as it is exciting, but that's only because every hard acceleration could be your last.
Thanks for your review Juan but this just sounds plain silly....for real.
Old 02-23-12, 06:38 PM
valdeztke
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
Thanks for your review Juan but this just sounds plain silly....for real.
The point I was trying to make was I was more comfortable with the Lexus around town because of the power curve being much higher in the RPM range.

Quick Reply: 2010 Lexus ISF vs. 2010 Cadillac CTS-V...Opinion?