IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF: True Cost to Own

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-12, 02:17 PM
KimJames
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISF: True Cost to Own

First post and debating whether or not to get an IS-F as my next car and had a few questions regarding ownership costs.

I realize this is a V-8 Sports car so I would imagine that the costs below are going to be quite higher than your average sedan or midsize SUV however, how much more?
  1. Fuel
  2. Insurance
  3. Maintenance
  4. Repairs

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 01-04-12, 02:24 PM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. The IS-F sucks fuel out of the tank, especially if you drive it hard. Im usually down in 11-12 mpg range. You can get 17-18 on the highway...

2. My insurance isn't bad at all. I'm paying 1,350 a year and that's in a big city. My record is spotless though..

3. The big maintenance on the IS-F is the brake pads, rotors, and tires. Again, how hard you drive it makes a big difference.

4. I have an 08 and haven't needed a single repair. (Cross my fingers). Some idiot scraped my bumper in a parking lot and that cost me 350 bucks though...
Old 01-04-12, 02:28 PM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

I think the MPGs are amazing compared to all the other sports sedans I've owned.
Old 01-04-12, 02:32 PM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptAwsm
I think the MPGs are amazing compared to all the other sports sedans I've owned.
I agree, this summer I was getting close to 27 mpg on my normal work commute (30 mile each way, all highway). Once the winter gas hit, that number has fallen to 23-24, still impressive I'd say.
Old 01-04-12, 03:00 PM
mercurymet
Driver

Originally Posted by KimJames
First post and debating whether or not to get an IS-F as my next car and had a few questions regarding ownership costs.

I realize this is a V-8 Sports car so I would imagine that the costs below are going to be quite higher than your average sedan or midsize SUV however, how much more?
  1. Fuel
    I get about 17 mpg combined city >>highway including moderately aggressive driving..25-28 on highway.
  2. Insurance
    About 850 ..with 0 points
  3. Maintenance
    oil about $100 every 5k for myself. at 28k miles now and have changed all 4 tires once with the next rear set due in 2-3k (700 rears and 600 fronts). front rotors and pads at 22k with hard city braking (700 for parts)
  4. Repairs

No repair costs yet.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
Overall, the costs are pretty low for a high performance car. In retrospect, I'm sure wider rear tires would have lasted longer.
Old 01-04-12, 03:59 PM
spddemon
Pole Position

I've been getting consistently 23 mpg over all, tank after tank. It's not my dd but I do drive her to work occasionally. During those tanks of gas there is some petal to the metal, you can't resist.. As for mantaince I have only done one oil change $100. My Insurance costs $796, not sure if this is above or below avg.
Old 01-04-12, 04:09 PM
LBmtb
Driver

Averaging 18ish mpg for me but have seen 24+ on the highway. Insurance is high for me but I do have a speeding ticket on the radio and only 27...
Old 01-04-12, 04:54 PM
Dragtek
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I too am debating buying an isf. I have a kid on the way and my toy car is a supercharged s2000. I figure an isf would be a less impractical weekend car. I worry about my insurance rate, but am not concerned with mpg since it'll be a garage queen/weekend car.
Old 01-04-12, 06:31 PM
2011ISFNY
Rookie

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

How do you guys get to 24+ mpg? I average 13 but I live in NYC with lots of local roads but driving her very soft (< 2500 rom) most of the time. Not much maintenance cost - compare to a land rover I used to drive. One thing that dents the wallet are mods, it's hard to resist adding things to the car to be honest.

I debated a while bt the ISF and the German counterparts before taking the plunge. There's no comparison after reading other forums.
Old 01-04-12, 08:10 PM
KimJames
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input guys! Sounds like although the MPG is a little lower, it's worth it!

How's it handle during the winter time? lol
Old 01-04-12, 08:39 PM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Winter is all about the tires, an IS-F with snow tires does just fine.
Old 01-04-12, 08:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I have 60+k on mine. All time average mpg is over 20. This includes four track weekends at three tanks of fuel each day in the 5.2 to 5.3 mpg range. I have no idea how some folks get less than 18 mpg unless they're in city traffic and flogging the car all the time from light to light (or sitting in traffic with the A/C on while not moving at all.)

The only big maintenance expense is the 60k service with new spark plugs and valve lash inspection. I'll be doing this inspection the weekend of the 14-15th and documenting with pictures here on CL. Everything else is predictable oil changes and filter swaps.

If you typically get 60k out of your brakes, the IS-F will not be any worse than the other cars you drive except the parts cost is more. If you normally have brakes serviced at 20 - 25k with pads and/or rotors, this car will be expensive for brakes. I have no idea how people kill pads and rotors in 20k without going to the track, but some do.

Insurance isn't much different than my IS350 was.

I've had no repairs on my car at all, just routine maintenance.
Old 01-04-12, 09:34 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I get 16mpg city driving, and have gotten 27mpg on my last hwy trip. This is amazing for a car like this.

As they said the brakes and tires are the main piggy bank breakers but your buying a performance sedan. It's all so well worth it. Do it, you won't regret it.
Old 01-04-12, 09:42 PM
Kingkrs
Pole Position

my 08 got 17-18 average city driving. 24-26 on the highway. no issues with brakes or tires for the year I had it before I traded up for the 11. Solid car overall. All the other competing sedans like the M3 get worse milage with less displacement. Not sure how that happens but I am glad that I have the IS-F.
Old 01-04-12, 11:40 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Fuel wise, the IS F doesn't waste as much as its counterparts. The 8 speed transmission is to thank for this. Calculating the miles I get when the tank is full, I get roughly 320 miles, which is pretty damn good for a V8. I'm typically around 19-23 MPG even in city traffic and the occasional WOT.

With regards to insurance, I've read that it is quite comparable to an IS 350. Being a sedan helps when calculating insurance costs. It did make it on the Top 10 Most Expensive Cars to Insure back in 2008, but with a car this powerful, insurance is bound to be higher.

Regular maintenance is always critical with any car. There have been zero issues with my F. Just regular interval oil changes. It helps to get a better estimate of when to change your oil if you use the Blackstone oil analysis. lobuxracer pointed this out a few years back when I first did my oil change. Tires, brakes, and rotors are subjective to your driving behavior. Nothing has as strong a brake bite as the OEM, despite it leaving some major brake dust on the wheels.

Repairs are not as common on the F, which is quite nice for a high performing sports sedan. An engine ticking noise is something that I've read here on the forums that a few members have pointed out.

Overall, I'm pleased at how effortless it is to maintain this beast. I've spent more time worrying about removing fine swirls and light scratches (I have Obsidian) than the regular maintenance, which is pretty easy if you're into DIY.

Quick Reply: ISF: True Cost to Own