IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2011 ISF suspension detailed

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-11, 12:04 PM
Bobisf
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 2011 ISF suspension detailed

I came across this and thought what a detailed article and insight into the MY2011 supension changes:

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...exus-is-f.html
Old 12-27-11, 06:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

This guy is clueless on the changes. A half hour with the parts catalog and he could have verified which parts changed and not made the foolhardy comment about the rear knuckles not changing (they did change them and gave them a new part number).

He writes like it's some big secret. It's not hard to figure out every change if you just know how to look up parts on the internet Lexus parts sites. It's also how I verified despite the magazine claims, the front hubs on the '12 are identical to the '08 so the whole "aluminum front hub" the magazine boys claimed is complete hogwash.

Add to this - the car needs more rear camber? REALLY? How does that fix the original design's severe understeer? Well, let's just say this guy wouldn't know how to tune a suspension, much less comment on one.
Old 12-28-11, 02:31 PM
Cleo
Driver

Clueless is a bit harsh. The author never stated that the rear knuckles didn't change. He wrote that it was unlikely due to the added cost it would have necessitated.
"Because of cost it is unlikely that Lexus retooled or re-machined the aluminum knuckle at their outer ends or altered the subframe ears to which they attach at their inner ends."
You're right that he should've checked. I also didn't feel the author was trying to present the numerous changes as a huge corporate secret. The changes were well known in the automotive media. In fact, I actually thought the rear springs were stiffened. The author says it was left untouched. Nevertheless, I think it's a good write up. Plus, I think the author is well qualified to comment on suspensions.
Old 12-28-11, 07:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Here's the main problem - this is Edmunds, not just some random internet blog. Professional journalism, not amateurs. So what we're seeing is conjecture and unsubstantiated when it could easily be verified and done properly. We have better posts here on Club Lexus. Pretty lame for Edmunds IMHO.
Old 12-28-11, 09:24 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
We have better posts here on Club Lexus.
And why shouldn't we? We all have in acute interest in our Fs, some of us research before we post and we all have practical experience with our vehicles. Most journalists aren't as critical about their sources and many make widely false claims.. The article posted was full of conjecture and misinformation, definitely not good journalism.

Lou
Old 12-28-11, 11:33 PM
Cleo
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Here's the main problem - this is Edmunds, not just some random internet blog. Professional journalism, not amateurs. So what we're seeing is conjecture and unsubstantiated when it could easily be verified and done properly. We have better posts here on Club Lexus. Pretty lame for Edmunds IMHO.
You're right. Coming from Edmunds, it should have been factual. Yet, I have seen some pretty crappy stuff coming out of Edmunds, which is like most manufacturer-supported automotive magazines and websites, especially when they did a video comparing the F to the RS4. That video review was a joke. They hated the F even before they drove it. They used terms like "German uber sedans" and "Toyota fanboys." They hated the exhaust tips - "But we'd be surprised if the car's stacked quad exhaust tips drew any support." They found the more "understated (they really meant boring) look more appealing" rather than the more "sufficiently menacing" Lexus with its interior being a "little too showy for [their] tastes." Showy interior? Really? Are you kidding me?

They concluded the Lexus was "too much to look at, too intricate to fully appreciate, and too hardcore for the street." Because the overbearing quad exhaust and complex paddle shifters are just too much for these so-called unbiased journalists. And vehicle reliability (never mentioned in the video review) should never be a consideration?

I regret ever defending Edmunds. lol. Sorry for going off-topic...

Compare the Edmund video to some random review I found. You'll notice the difference in journalism.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srgzLrHo14c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO9_9xdwWWc

Last edited by Cleo; 12-28-11 at 11:51 PM. Reason: added youtube links
Old 12-28-11, 11:38 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleo

Edmunds is good if your in the market for a used Kia, but not like true sport tuned cars like ours
Old 12-29-11, 09:18 AM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice post Cleo! I did find their ISF review very biased.

I find Edmonds nice for entertainment value. They just seem to drive a new car, write as much crap about it on the few hours they got, then move on. Nice to get an inside scoop on a new car, but should never be taken as gospel info!!!
Old 12-29-11, 09:36 AM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bobisf
I came across this and thought what a detailed article and insight into the MY2011 supension changes:

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...exus-is-f.html
Nice find anyway. Good read, and if anything, good pics of the massive brakes!
Old 12-29-11, 10:41 AM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

You're right. Coming from Edmunds, it should have been factual. Yet, I have seen some pretty crappy stuff coming out of Edmunds, which is like most manufacturer-supported automotive magazines and websites, especially when they did a video comparing the F to the RS4. That video review was a joke. They hated the F even before they drove it. They used terms like "German uber sedans" and "Toyota fanboys." They hated the exhaust tips - "But we'd be surprised if the car's stacked quad exhaust tips drew any support." They found the more "understated (they really meant boring) look more appealing" rather than the more "sufficiently menacing" Lexus with its interior being a "little too showy for [their] tastes." Showy interior? Really? Are you kidding me?

They concluded the Lexus was "too much to look at, too intricate to fully appreciate, and too hardcore for the street." Because the overbearing quad exhaust and complex paddle shifters are just too much for these so-called unbiased journalists. And vehicle reliability (never mentioned in the video review) should never be a consideration?

Compare the Edmund video to some random review I found. You'll notice the difference in journalism.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srgzLrHo14c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO9_9xdwWWc
My comments are that the Edmunds reviewer is a oxy moron.

Last edited by dinardalvi; 12-29-11 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-29-11, 09:38 PM
Cleo
Driver

Originally Posted by LexyISF
Nice post Cleo! I did find their ISF review very biased.

I find Edmonds nice for entertainment value. They just seem to drive a new car, write as much crap about it on the few hours they got, then move on. Nice to get an inside scoop on a new car, but should never be taken as gospel info!!!
Thx! Edmunds, like the rest of those biased car mags (C&D, MT, R&T), are very pro-German. I'd buy German too if I didn't have to fix it all the time. I guess they have very deep pockets when it comes to repairing and maintaining those cars.
Old 12-29-11, 11:01 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Thx! Edmunds, like the rest of those biased car mags (C&D, MT, R&T), are very pro-German. I'd buy German too if I didn't have to fix it all the time. I guess they have very deep pockets when it comes to repairing and maintaining those cars.
you guys are extremely lucky when it comes to car prices, but we get screwed here in OZ. Our ISF comes fully loaded here, just pick colours and that's it, and it's still about $50k - $60k cheaper than the equivalent M3 and C63! and don't get me started on servicing!!!

The choice was pretty simple for me!
Old 12-30-11, 12:52 AM
Cleo
Driver

Originally Posted by LexyISF
you guys are extremely lucky when it comes to car prices, but we get screwed here in OZ. Our ISF comes fully loaded here, just pick colours and that's it, and it's still about $50k - $60k cheaper than the equivalent M3 and C63! and don't get me started on servicing!!!

The choice was pretty simple for me!
Really? Wow! I wonder why the tariffs are so much higher for the Germans...