Help! P0607, VSC & CEL

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-11, 10:33 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! P0607, VSC & CEL

hey guys,

short story, CEL & VSC lights came on in my F and ofcourse all traction control, abs etc are gone.
There does not seem to be any other issues with the car, sounds good, drives good, no shaking.

recently have driven through 2 snow storms, slush, and high snows.

my mods are Borla exhaust, Injen intake which have been installed for 6000+ mi with no issues

latest maintenance was an oil change and rear diff oil change, battery has not been replaced.

The car is at Lexus Calgary right now as I was on a business trip at the time of failure.

Code thrown is P0607 CONTROL MODULE PERFORMANCE, after I talked to the service rep he said the suggestions were exhaust leak and O2 sensor (after i suggeted both)

Any help would be appreciated fellas.
Old 12-06-11, 11:44 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As a pure guess I would say exhaust leak related. This code primarily points to 2 issues and the ECM
1.Exhaust gas leak
2.Heated Oxygen sensor
and a ECM malfunction

Lexus states this, as a potential

NOTICE: An exhaust gas leak generates electrical noise in the heated oxygen sensor output. The ECM may interpret this as an heated oxygen sensor transistor malfunction and set P0607.

Lexus of Calgary is pretty big dealer, I trust they will work with Lexus USA.

Maybe a Borla coupler slipped, as there certainly is alot of connection points?

Last edited by digger08; 12-06-11 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-06-11, 11:46 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

check your o2 senors if it needs to be adjusted/tighten.
Old 12-06-11, 12:33 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by digger08
As a pure guess I would say exhaust leak related. This code primarily points to 2 issues and the ECM
1.Exhaust gas leak
2.Heated Oxygen sensor
and a ECM malfunction

Lexus states this, as a potential

NOTICE: An exhaust gas leak generates electrical noise in the heated oxygen sensor output. The ECM may interpret this as an heated oxygen sensor transistor malfunction and set P0607.

Lexus of Calgary is pretty big dealer, I trust they will work with Lexus USA.

Maybe a Borla coupler slipped, as there certainly is alot of connection points?
just heard back from the dealer, apparently there are several exhaust gas leaks. However they will not work on the sysem as they did not do the work originally.

looks like i'm climbin under my car with a torque wrench and spray bottle full of soapy water. I had to dissemble the exhaust to get at the drain bolts for the rear diff, must be the root cause.

EDIT: can anyone make a suggesstion for making sure the clamps seal? besides over tq'ing?
Old 12-06-11, 01:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Over torquing? Do you mean so the bolts will break for sure?

Usually you loosen everything a little, work everything to align it for minimum stress, then tighten to spec from front to rear.
Old 12-06-11, 01:23 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

I have access to 12 different automotive shops with pits all over the city of Calgary. PM me your cell phone and your location in the city, I can provide you immediate assistance. We don't want you crawling around in the hotel underground. We are open 8am to 8 pm, you can drive in and do an assessment. There is no charge for any of this.
Old 12-06-11, 03:05 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Over torquing? Do you mean so the bolts will break for sure?

Usually you loosen everything a little, work everything to align it for minimum stress, then tighten to spec from front to rear.
apparently I forgot my bbm sarcastic smiley.

thats all the dealer could tell me. "make sure they are tight"
Old 12-06-11, 03:06 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

^^ Wow WHAT AN OFFER...!!!!!!

You probably need 2 new OEM crush gaskets the upfront connections..

Any leaks after the O2 sensors will not throw all these codes....

~ Joe Z
Old 12-06-11, 06:20 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ Wow WHAT AN OFFER...!!!!!!

You probably need 2 new OEM crush gaskets the upfront connections..

Any leaks after the O2 sensors will not throw all these codes....

~ Joe Z
Absolutely, quite a stand up guy.

I will ask the tech when I pick up the car where the leaks are located. I have a feeling this is not the end of the CEL. (the CAI may be to blame partially also)

Last edited by 4everkidd; 12-06-11 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-06-11, 07:31 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

I PM'd you my 1-800 number for tomorrow if you need any help, I am located in EST and 3 hours ahead of you.

Digger08
Old 12-19-11, 06:31 PM
ISFBce
Driver School Candidate

I 4everkidd!

Did you got news from your dealer?

I have same issu with mine! IS F 2008 with Magnaflow exhaust. I have the check egine light, Main warning light, VSC light and my screen saying "check VSC".

Since those check are on, I do not have anymore my 1st gear and no traction control! I need to run at 15miles/hr and if I put the manual mode I can drop down into 1st gear.

I ran into friend of mine garage who got almost the same scaner than Lexus Dealer and my code is the P0607 Control Performance Module.

One day I hade the problem that the car was not starting. I changed the ID box and the Smart Key ECU and car was starting back.

My friend told me that it can be an Oxygen Sensor that is not running correctly.

Somebody help me!!!
Old 12-20-11, 05:08 AM
ISFBce
Driver School Candidate

I'm now running my car since 3000 miles with those check on because at the beginning we tought that it was an Evap problem. The scanner was giving us this answer. We found that my canister was broken a little bit so......

But we fix everyting and now the light came back but with this P0607 code!

On my point of vue, if it was an PCM/ECU problem, my car won't run like it is since minimum 3000 miles????
Old 12-20-11, 07:47 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

The dealer told me that it was an exhaust leak, so i put the car up on a lift, torqued everything to spec' and did an exhaust leak test. I then cleared the code, and drove for several hundred miles.

The code came back a few days later during a snow storm (again). So i tested my hypothesis that there is a loose, or open connection somewhere that is being effected by the snow packed into the wheel wells.

I drove the car until wheel wells and underside were full of snow, the CEL came on so i left the car outside and cleared the code. I came back in the morning to a car still packed off with snow and started her up, within a block my CEL came back.

I then drove the car into my heated underground and cleared the codes, leaving the car over night to melt and dry out. I then came back in the morning and fired her up, no codes, and its been over 1000mi (I drive alot)

So my feeling is there is a short in the system somewhere when there is snow packed under the car.

Exhaust leaks, control performance module, wheel speed sensors or O2 sensors can all be to blame. I guess its just a matter of finding the culprit
Old 12-20-11, 11:28 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

I had a thermal problem with my Supra's ECM connector - when it got cold, one of the connections (the one providing +5v to throttle position and MAP sensors) would open. As soon as the car warmed above 50F, it worked. It was very frustrating to troubleshoot because of the temperature issue and being in California. Sounds like your situation may be similar.
Old 12-20-11, 06:09 PM
ISFBce
Driver School Candidate

I guys!

We scanned everything tonight and we find out that the two back oxygen sensor left and right (into exhaust, not headers) do not give us the same flow information. The two in the headers are fine (exactly the same information and graphic are same too) but for the ones in the exhaust there is a difference. Also, when I was giving trottle, the O2 on right side giving always less than the one on left side. Also, always when I was giving trottle, on the right side the response was not fast as the left side sensor when we looked over graphic. Looks like my Oxygen Sensor on right side can be broken.

Quick Reply: Help! P0607, VSC & CEL