IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sikky header rattle passenger side.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-11, 09:06 AM
LonISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sikky header rattle passenger side.

just installed sikky headers on my '11. Passenger side was a really close fit to motor mount and has me thinking it would be a problem later. Sure enough, once started up there is a major chatter. Anyone have fitment issues with their Sikky headers? did anyone do the install themselves possibly have any insight on this?
Old 11-24-11, 08:45 PM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LonISF
just installed sikky headers on my '11. Passenger side was a really close fit to motor mount and has me thinking it would be a problem later. Sure enough, once started up there is a major chatter. Anyone have fitment issues with their Sikky headers? did anyone do the install themselves possibly have any insight on this?
Under full throttle my passenger side touches something for sure. Its always bothered me but I don't rag on the car enough to notice much. I understand why a motor moves under load with the type of mounts we have , but it still sucks. Your issue sounds worse though.
Old 11-25-11, 06:20 AM
LonISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mitch08ISF
Under full throttle my passenger side touches something for sure. Its always bothered me but I don't rag on the car enough to notice much. I understand why a motor moves under load with the type of mounts we have , but it still sucks. Your issue sounds worse though.
the clearance between the motor mount and header definitely was too close for comfort. my rattle I am pretty sure is from contact with my
motor mount under load because it gets worse when I put my car into any gear.
Old 11-25-11, 07:26 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I've tracked my F, and also WOT here and there, no issues, no rattles. I had mine installed by JE. I was like there 13th install so I imagine they had good lessons learned. I say contact JE to ask. Good luck.
Old 11-25-11, 10:25 AM
rtr01
Rookie

I installed my own headers and the problem areas are near the flanges that mate to the exhaust. At certain times depending on a lot of things I can make the flanges touch the heat shield studs on the main frame rails, causing a loud vibration. Another area of issue is when you reinstall the exhaust if you have a Joe-Z it could rub on the splash guard brace on the tranny. Yes the mount is really close to the header on the passenger side, but that will not cause a rattle unless it is actually touching all the time. And of that was the case I don't see how you could put the mount back in anyways. The header and the mount will move in unison because they are both secured to the block. It is the other end of the mount that has movement. If it is rattling as soon as the engine is started, that is an exhaust leak, not a rattle or vibration. It will sound like one, but that is the noise of combustion leaking where it should not. Take a video and post it here for group deliberation.
Old 11-25-11, 10:28 AM
rtr01
Rookie

And if it gets worse when you put the car in gear that is because you are loading the motor and it takes more combustion than in idle. I say it is definitely a leak. Probably on the engine block.
Old 11-25-11, 05:41 PM
LonISF
Driver School Candidate

thanks anyone who were able to try and help but I was able to narrow down the problems and fix them. passenger side 2nd runner was actually pressed against the frame ever so slightly and I'm having the steering shaft contact now though so I will be addressing that tomorrow.
Old 07-17-12, 12:50 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

How did it got fixed?
Old 07-23-12, 07:33 AM
LonISF
Driver School Candidate

i shimmed the height of the motor mounts until I got it to a height that would allow the engine to clear away from the frame.
Old 07-23-12, 07:39 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

where did you get urs installed LonISF?
Old 05-23-13, 08:40 PM
VegasISF
Driver School Candidate

just had my sikky headers installed and i have a huge rattle/vibration on the passenger side under full throttle and especially when the car is turning left under throttle. Sikky told me to just try and "massage" the header to fix the problem. Anyone try this yet. Really disappointed with the product so far.
Old 05-23-13, 09:43 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I have this too. Massage how?
Old 05-24-13, 01:00 AM
VegasISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
I have this too. Massage how?
I think they literally mean stick something up there and bend it.