IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What's your opinion on this service note? (brakes/rotor related)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-11, 07:48 PM
testmetest
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What's your opinion on this service note? (brakes/rotor related)

At 25,000 service appointment they made a note on my paperwork to have front brakes and rotors replaced at the 30,000 service appointment which will cost just over $1,000.

But at the 30,000 service, they didn't say anything about it. Are they skimping on the service? (Saying they did something when they didn't) Are they playing games?

I have to go in for a state inspection renewal, should I say something? Ignore it?

I have no idea what to do. Thanks for any input!
Old 11-21-11, 07:55 PM
DubbStep
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it could be a few things, how do ur pads look? Are ur rotors groved/ warped? They could of jus noted as a precaution, Maybe there is wear, jus not so much. Are you familiar with brake wear? Take a look, or at most jus see if another shop gives free estimate's...
Old 11-21-11, 07:56 PM
testmetest
Driver

Originally Posted by princerani
Well it could be a few things, how do ur pads look? Are ur rotors groved/ warped? They could of jus noted as a precaution, Maybe there is wear, jus not so much. Are you familiar with brake wear? Take a look, or at most jus see if another shop gives free estimate's...
I have no idea how to tell.

I see what you mean, I guess it was just a precaution to prepare me for eventual replacement.

On one hand, I don't want to bring anything up because if it doesn't need replacing, I don't want them to say, "Oh yeah, sure, come on in, we're glad to take your money even though it doesn't need replacing just yet."

On the flipside, I don't know what damage can be done if the brakes and rotors _do_ need replacing and I don't get it done.

Last edited by testmetest; 11-21-11 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-21-11, 08:09 PM
DubbStep
Pole Position

Id say it should be covered, warranty? Ive had brakes over 65k mile's before Ive changed, And at times Im a little rough. The rule of thumb is to sets of brake per rotor replacement/// It wont hurt to get someone jus to take a peak.....
Old 11-21-11, 08:44 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by testmetest
I have to go in for a state inspection renewal, should I say something? Ignore it?
I wouldn't say anything. They will tell you if the pads are worn enough to be replaced.

Check out this brake pad DIY. It has pictures and you can learn what the parts look like and what to look for. You should be able to check how much pad is left. You could upgrade the pads and do it yourself for less than what the dealer will charge for regular pads.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rake-pads.html
Old 11-22-11, 07:17 AM
testmetest
Driver

Thanks everyone for the help. I wish I were handy to take my tire off, and look myself, but I hesitate to do that. My plan is to see what they say at the 35k visit.
Old 11-22-11, 07:27 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think lobuxracer can chime in here... rotors only need to be changed when they are 28mm or less... if they claim it needs replacing talk to the mechanic and ask him to take you into the shop and measure the rotors in front of you.
Old 11-22-11, 11:00 AM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

have them give you the brake pad and rotor measurements; ie: how many mm's of pad is left? and how much rotor thickness is left. the pad minimum thickness is 1mm and rotor minimum thickness is 28mm. these specs are for the front brakes only!
Old 11-22-11, 01:28 PM
testmetest
Driver

Originally Posted by Bulls23337
have them give you the brake pad and rotor measurements; ie: how many mm's of pad is left? and how much rotor thickness is left. the pad minimum thickness is 1mm and rotor minimum thickness is 28mm. these specs are for the front brakes only!
Originally Posted by VtotheJ
I think lobuxracer can chime in here... rotors only need to be changed when they are 28mm or less... if they claim it needs replacing talk to the mechanic and ask him to take you into the shop and measure the rotors in front of you.
Good ideas, will do!
Old 11-22-11, 01:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Rotors don't warp. Grooves are cosmetic in the IS-F. None of this is important. As stated in later posts, the only thing important is how thick the pads and rotors are.

Id say it should be covered, warranty? Ive had brakes over 65k mile's before Ive changed, And at times Im a little rough. The rule of thumb is to sets of brake per rotor replacement/// It wont hurt to get someone jus to take a peak.....
Brakes are almost never covered by any warranty for pad or rotor wear. I really doubt anyone will go 65k on the IS-F with the stock pads. Rules of thumb go out the window with the IS-F. Some of us have changed pads and rotors at the same time, others of us are still on the original rotors, still others have had cracking beyond acceptable limits and had to change an otherwise good rotor.

Front rotors start life at 30mm and wear down to 28mm at minimum thickness. Any rotor less than 28mm thick needs to be replaced. Front pads start life at 9.8mm and are done by 1mm. What this means is, you can project the service life on your pads and rotors simply by a little arithmetic. If you have 30k miles on the odometer and you've seen 1.5mm wear on the rotors (measures 28.5mm) then you have 10k miles left on your rotors. Same for the pads. So, get the measurements and you can figure out how much actual mileage you have left.

I hate to say it, but I believe a very large number of people have been convinced to replace their brakes when they still had quite a bit of service life left in them because a Service Adviser needed to make a number for the week, and the IS-F's brakes are not cheap at all if you're paying full retail for parts.

FYI- standard rotor thickness for the rear is 28mm, minimum is 26mm. Pads start life at 11.5mm and end at 1.0mm.
Old 11-22-11, 02:01 PM
BB/F
Rookie

Brakes on the ISF are literally the easiest to do. It takes me longer to get the car jacked up to actually put new pads in. Unfortunately, I'd bet about 99% of the other people who own a Lexus, follow what the service advisers say without question and will simply pay the money to have it done.

When they told me mine needed pads, they gave the "its a special braking system...high performance...about $1000 for the fronts...yadda, yadda, yadda". I told him I know. Its a 30 minute job and I have the parts at home to do it myself. The look on his face was priceless.
Old 11-22-11, 02:12 PM
testmetest
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Rotors don't warp. Grooves are cosmetic in the IS-F. None of this is important. As stated in later posts, the only thing important is how thick the pads and rotors are.

Brakes are almost never covered by any warranty for pad or rotor wear. I really doubt anyone will go 65k on the IS-F with the stock pads. Rules of thumb go out the window with the IS-F. Some of us have changed pads and rotors at the same time, others of us are still on the original rotors, still others have had cracking beyond acceptable limits and had to change an otherwise good rotor.

Front rotors start life at 30mm and wear down to 28mm at minimum thickness. Any rotor less than 28mm thick needs to be replaced. Front pads start life at 9.8mm and are done by 1mm. What this means is, you can project the service life on your pads and rotors simply by a little arithmetic. If you have 30k miles on the odometer and you've seen 1.5mm wear on the rotors (measures 28.5mm) then you have 10k miles left on your rotors. Same for the pads. So, get the measurements and you can figure out how much actual mileage you have left.

I hate to say it, but I believe a very large number of people have been convinced to replace their brakes when they still had quite a bit of service life left in them because a Service Adviser needed to make a number for the week, and the IS-F's brakes are not cheap at all if you're paying full retail for parts.

FYI- standard rotor thickness for the rear is 28mm, minimum is 26mm. Pads start life at 11.5mm and end at 1.0mm.
Amazing info, thanks! How do you know so much?
Old 11-22-11, 02:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I have a subscription to TIS and I've been doing motorcycle and car stuff for about 35 years or so.
Old 12-02-11, 10:30 AM
testmetest
Driver

Originally Posted by Bulls23337
Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Front rotors start life at 30mm and wear down to 28mm at minimum thickness. Any rotor less than 28mm thick needs to be replaced. Front pads start life at 9.8mm and are done by 1mm.

So here are the measurements they gave me for the state inspection:

Front brake depth: 5/32
Rear brake depth: 8/32

Does this mean 5mm was worn down? So now it's 27mm?
Old 12-02-11, 10:42 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Think it means you have 5mm of pad and 32mm of rotor remaining for the front and 8mm of pad and 32mm of rotor on the rear, if this is the case you have tons of life left before a change is required.

Quick Reply: What's your opinion on this service note? (brakes/rotor related)