IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS F or USED GTR 2009

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-11, 07:51 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GTR any day... It will WOW you and whoever is staring at you.
Old 11-13-11, 08:44 PM
aLexGS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn hire me at your work place.
Old 11-13-11, 09:39 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
I'm new here, but I see this question/comparison of the ISF and GTR often. Who started this? These two cars are not in the same league and shouldn't be used in the same sentence!
Well a used 09 GTR is just a little more than a new ISF so that's where it probably came in to play. I Know that when I first bought my F I couldn't afford a GTR and now that I can I jumped ship and am looking to buy a new one.

If you are going to get the GTR, the 2013 model will be released in Jan so you might as well wait till then and let the other prices trickle down as owners jump to update. Personally unless you can take it to a nissan dealer and have them plug in the consult III and see how many LC1 launches the car has had I'd go with a '10+
Old 11-13-11, 09:49 PM
Mofoe
Driver

i wish i had these type of tuff choices to make
Old 11-13-11, 09:53 PM
js619858
Pole Position

ISF! I know everyone says GTR but unless your rich and driving only for the weekend I go ISF!

I love the GTR but would never buy one because I don't want a car just to drive 1 day a week for that amount of money. Also for me to buy one I would need to be rich.
Old 11-14-11, 11:38 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Id say GTR seeing what your coming from

with some bolt ons and tune the thing is a beast

ISF is a great car but GTR is in another league
Old 11-14-11, 03:19 PM
IsFast3r
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with everyone else when they suggest GTR, I love my F but if it was a possible choice to get the GTR then i would have. Since the 996 was prolly your weekend car and thats what your looking for, then a GTR has to be the choice, if its everyday I say the F. Theres no WOW factor like the GTR but I guarantee you will see as few F's on the road as you will other GTR's so there's also that going for both cars.
Old 11-14-11, 03:28 PM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I would buy a GTR as my 2nd car, with ISF being the primary.
Old 11-14-11, 04:07 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

There are plenty of people who DD their 911's and GTR's, the weekend thing is strictly optional just to keep miles/maintenance down.
Old 11-15-11, 01:03 AM
GenuineKid
Driver

honestly if you buy a sports car, dont buy it to stare it in your garage, buy it to drive it. I bought my F and its my DD. Once i am able to " Happily " finance + money on side to afford the GTR/maintance then i will make the switch and make it my DD. Don't understand why people buy nice cars to take space in there garage. I know my boss drives his bentley 24/7 cause HE LOVES THE DAMN CAR.
Old 11-15-11, 01:14 AM
aLexGS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GenuineKid
honestly if you buy a sports car, dont buy it to stare it in your garage, buy it to drive it. I bought my F and its my DD. Once i am able to " Happily " finance + money on side to afford the GTR/maintance then i will make the switch and make it my DD. Don't understand why people buy nice cars to take space in there garage. I know my boss drives his bentley 24/7 cause HE LOVES THE DAMN CAR.
I agree! My uncle bought a brand new 2nd GX and had only 5000 miles on it after 2 years...He only drives it when his family goes to dinner or when they go on long trips 4hours+. Now the value dropped and its still practically a brand new car!
Old 11-15-11, 03:20 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My co-worker has a 2011 GTR, and with only 5,300 miles on the clock, it's transmission has taken a dump! I use to own a 350Z, bought it new and at 13,000 miles....the trans took a dump. One thing I have learned is....Nissan is good at hyping a car, but very very very poor at actually engineering one. Remember, this is Nissan (Renault) not Nissan (Datsun). Those days of bulletproof transmissions are over. As much as I applaud the technological achievements of Nissan and it's GTR, I still cannot get over the fact that your paying $90k for a NISSAN!?!?!?! Get the ISF, take it to AMS and tell them you want a proper supercharger installed....then, keep the extra $20k to make it rain at a nightclub with hotties!
Old 11-15-11, 03:56 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
My co-worker has a 2011 GTR, and with only 5,300 miles on the clock, it's transmission has taken a dump! I use to own a 350Z, bought it new and at 13,000 miles....the trans took a dump. One thing I have learned is....Nissan is good at hyping a car, but very very very poor at actually engineering one. Remember, this is Nissan (Renault) not Nissan (Datsun). Those days of bulletproof transmissions are over. As much as I applaud the technological achievements of Nissan and it's GTR, I still cannot get over the fact that your paying $90k for a NISSAN!?!?!?! Get the ISF, take it to AMS and tell them you want a proper supercharger installed....then, keep the extra $20k to make it rain at a nightclub with hotties!

If you think about it, paying $90k for GT-R isn't bad at all. Sure, its "just a Nissan" but when you compare the kinds of cars the GT-R can take on, your getting a lot of car for $90k compared to the competition. Top gear raced it on their track and it beat out cars like the Ferrari 599 GTO, Veyron and even the Murcielago. Cars that sell for 4x, or much more (Veyron) than the GT-R itself. Sure those cars may beat in a straight line, but how often are the roads you drive on completely straight anyway. lol or for that matter, how often do most super car owners even take their cars onto a track....

But I don't agree that Nissan makes all poorly engineered cars. My girlfriend has a newer Altima Hybrid (with CVT trans) that is perfectly well built. In some ways, the car even feels more solid than my IS250. I'm sure it will hit 200k without any issues, except for needing a new Hybrid battery possibly...tho many owners have done plenty of miles with even the battery being fine. I've also seen plenty of Nissan trucks and SUV's tow heavy loads and do major work and still run fine past 100k.
Old 11-15-11, 04:16 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
I still cannot get over the fact that your paying $90k for a NISSAN!?!?!?! Get the ISF, take it to AMS and tell them you want a proper supercharger installed....then, keep the extra $20k to make it rain at a nightclub with hotties!
With those statements the GTR is definitely not for you.....people said the same thing about paying $90k for a Honda/Acura NSX years ago.

I don't own a GTR so can't comment on Nissan reliability issues though so I hope anyone who buys it would at least be sure to have warranty. It seems with "most" modern supercars there is always cost of ownership risks.

The IS-F is one of the FEW cars that have good performance AND reliability! I never had a single issue with my IS-F and actually had to find reasons to bring it to dealer service

But I will say this - over the weekend a friend let me test drive his 2010 GTR and I can now see why the hype is there! It's an amazingly fast car that is easy to drive and has a lot of visual appeal. The car just has that in your face look that makes people stare whether young or old, male or female. We drove it around Durham and it seems the car just makes you take notice and yes it's blistering FAST. I didn't even know I was going 80+ because the illusion of speed is hidden well. Of course having a tiny speedo that is hidden in the lower left and needle pointing downwards going 80 doesn't help!

Price wise new vs. new MSRP they are really in different price league anyways, a more fair comparo would be:

IS-F > CTS-V > M3 > C63 AMG > RS5

GTR > Corvette > 997 Turbo > R8 > Gallardo (Sedans: E63 AMG and M5)

The funny thing is the GTR's performance cannot be beat by anything in it's price range - only close competitor would be the Corvette and that still costs more. Only a select handful of cars are faster than the GTR and most of those are double or more in terms of cost so in that respect the GTR is a bargain.

Last edited by s4play; 11-15-11 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-15-11, 04:28 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
If you think about it, paying $90k for GT-R isn't bad at all. Sure, its "just a Nissan" but when you compare the kinds of cars the GT-R can take on, your getting a lot of car for $90k compared to the competition. Top gear raced it on their track and it beat out cars like the Ferrari 599 GTO, Veyron and even the Murcielago. Cars that sell for 4x, or much more (Veyron) than the GT-R itself. Sure those cars may beat in a straight line, but how often are the roads you drive on completely straight anyway. lol or for that matter, how often do most super car owners even take their cars onto a track....

But I don't agree that Nissan makes all poorly engineered cars. My girlfriend has a newer Altima Hybrid (with CVT trans) that is perfectly well built. In some ways, the car even feels more solid than my IS250. I'm sure it will hit 200k without any issues, except for needing a new Hybrid battery possibly...tho many owners have done plenty of miles with even the battery being fine. I've also seen plenty of Nissan trucks and SUV's tow heavy loads and do major work and still run fine past 100k.
It's really not that hard for someone to make a "Ferrari Killer" or "Veyron Killer". Any car can be made to go fast...er...than an exotic in a race. The bottom line is, at the end of the day, your car will have two dents on it: one being it's a Nissan, and the other being that your $15k transmission will have lost 20% of its life in that one race! No joke, the GTR's transmission has been revised three times already, and they still haven't gotten it right. There are numerous lawsuits against Nissan for their faulty transmissions. Remember, the GTR was always a gentleman's sports car, that was slightly above average price. So yeah, paying $90k for a Nissan is really not a bargain! The same concept goes to Lexus with the LFA...that car is not worth $375k....no way! There are luxury exotic hyper-cars with history lists dating back before Toyota existed....that will embarrass the LFA and don't cost as much as an LFA. My point in all this is, you have to be kinda smart for yourself and not give in to marketing gimmicks! Buy a car for its true value and "whole package". The ISF is good at that (not the best), but there are plenty of cars that would be sick fast, not too expensive, and look great with ultra luxury! Wait for the new BMW ///M5....you will never look back! The past 10yrs have demonstrated a bad turn for Japanese car makers in that they are finding markets with a demand, but at the same time, making it very difficult for the that "demand" to buy what they have to offer....aka GTR & LFA.

Quick Reply: IS F or USED GTR 2009