IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

This is how I got rid of the drone on my Joe-Z exhuast

Old 02-25-12, 07:19 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

I have now modified my stock mufflers again adding an additional inlet thereby avoiding two reverse flow paths with the second inlet.

http://youtu.be/stqr-gE06TM

Lou
Attached Thumbnails This is how I got rid of the drone on my Joe-Z exhuast-exhaust5s.jpg   This is how I got rid of the drone on my Joe-Z exhuast-exhaust8s.jpg  
Old 02-25-12, 09:29 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blitz_714
There is no drone jason :P you'll when i see you Sunday :P
If you want drone, take a spin in my car with the Borla axle-back. It pretty much confirms that the stock mufflers are the key to volume complaints. So the ingenuity people are showing to keep those involved is pretty cool.
Old 02-25-12, 01:28 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by anxiouz
If you want drone, take a spin in my car with the Borla axle-back. It pretty much confirms that the stock mufflers are the key to volume complaints. So the ingenuity people are showing to keep those involved is pretty cool.
That's interesting and now confirms to me that the sub-muffler Borla uses on the their full exhaust is what does away with nearly all the drone you'd have otherwise. The sub-muffler is straight through, but has perforation inside to allow the exhaust pulses to go back and forth cancelling each other out.

Old 02-25-12, 02:15 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

I have zero drone with my axle back Borla. None
Old 02-25-12, 02:54 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

From all the reading I've done on these forums regarding exhaust systems, their seems to be a big disparity in what drone is or is not. We all have our own ideas. And personally, I can't stand drone or a real aggressive exhaust tone. That is why I have gone to the lengths that I have to retain the stock mufflers, even if it means a little more restriction. IMHO, the solution I have finally come upon is the best of all worlds. I luv my system from the PPE headers to the stock tips

Lou
Old 02-25-12, 06:01 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
From all the reading I've done on these forums regarding exhaust systems, their seems to be a big disparity in what drone is or is not. We all have our own ideas. And personally, I can't stand drone or a real aggressive exhaust tone. That is why I have gone to the lengths that I have to retain the stock mufflers, even if it means a little more restriction. IMHO, the solution I have finally come upon is the best of all worlds. I luv my system from the PPE headers to the stock tips

Lou
I wish I was still in AZ so I could come check out your setup and compare. I love what you've done, but obviously isn't for everyone since most will not want to modify their stock exhaust.

I'm with you in that I can't stand drone either. As you pointed out we do have a disparity in what drone is, but for me it's exhaust noise that hurts my ears, distorts your voice when you try to hold a conversation and adds an annoying resonance to the car at a certain rpm range. In the IS-F, drone is notorious between 1500 and 2300rpm with aftermarket exhaust. The PTS JoeZ exhaust droned for me both without and especially with headers and I did everything I could to quiet it down aside from putting stock mufflers on the exhaust like the OP. I added sound deadening material to my trunk which helped some and later added high flow cats which really helped, but we've all seen what can happen with aftermarket cats on the car hence the reason I went another route in hopes of avoiding the dreaded "drone". I took my chances with the Borla and had planned if it still droned to get another JoeZ exhaust with stock mufflers, but got lucky and have been very pleased with the Borla.
Old 02-25-12, 06:47 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

uggghhh you guys and this drone nonsense .....sell your car and buy a hybrid
Old 02-25-12, 06:50 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
uggghhh you guys and this drone nonsense .....sell your car and buy a hybrid
I've got one already.
Old 03-04-12, 05:13 PM
spddemon
Pole Position

I met with caymandive today to take a ride in his F, so I could experience the header and exhaust setup. Very little drone and very nice aggressive roar! At this time I am just interested in the bolra cat back system. I liked what I heard and saw and hope to have this installed soon.

Thanks Caymandive for meeting with my wife and I

Last edited by spddemon; 03-04-12 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-04-12, 07:35 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You can have a loud exhaust outside and be completely stock quiet inside using Side branch resonator. Do a search. I had this done on my Z. Current setup is 3'' dp, 3''->2.5'' tp mated to 2.5'' Greddy catback. Was very loud at all rpms before side branch resonator but now it's beastly loud still but stock quiet on hwy.
Old 03-04-12, 07:50 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by spddemon
I met with caymandive today to take a ride in his F, so I could experience the header and exhaust setup. Very little drone and very nice aggressive roar! At this time I am just interested in the Borla cat back system. I liked what I heard and saw and hope to have this installed soon.

Thanks Caymandive for meeting with my wife and I
You're welcome! It was nice to get out of the house for a few hours to meet a fellow F enthusiast. I knew you and the wife would be pleased with the Borla setup.

Hope to see you around as the weather warms up and maybe hit up Summit Point this season too.

Last edited by caymandive; 03-04-12 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-05-12, 09:14 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

I agree that everyone views "drone" a little differently. For me drone is when you hear a constant, loud, deep, resonating noise. It's a big, boomy (but constant) sound that's at a frequency that is impossible to ignore.

For me it's really only under load at the magic 1700-2200 rpm range. If I downshift to ease the burden on the engine, it's a non-issue. If I'm just cruising on the hwy, it's a non-issue. It's only during slower city driving when I'm shifting sooner than perhaps I should.

And to clarify, I don't dislike what I'm experiencing. I just wanted to point out that the Borla is really nice and I do like it, but under load in low rpms it does drone (by my definition).
Old 03-05-12, 10:25 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

I agree that everyone views "drone" a little differently. For me drone is when you hear a constant, loud, deep, resonating noise. It's a big, boomy (but constant) sound that's at a frequency that is impossible to ignore.

For me it's really only under load at the magic 1700-2200 rpm range. If I downshift to ease the burden on the engine, it's a non-issue. If I'm just cruising on the hwy, it's a non-issue. It's only during slower city driving when I'm shifting sooner than perhaps I should.

And to clarify, I don't dislike what I'm experiencing. I just wanted to point out that the Borla is really nice and I do like it, but under load in low rpms it does drone (by my definition).
I think most of us here define drone the same way you do with varying sensitivity. I also don't doubt for a second that you experience drone in the conditions you described above especially with having just the axle-back. The full exhaust has features that I believe work to prevent drone such as the way the sub-muffer is designed.

Then again it could all come back to perception so the best thing folks out there with any concern over sound should do is experience other members F's with different exhaust setups and see what works best for you. It's easy enough, fun to do and you'll not have to worry about buying the wrong one.

Last edited by caymandive; 03-05-12 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-05-12, 04:17 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Steering this thread back on track for the OP........

Originally Posted by krue92
I don't really know what you mean by the drone the Joe-Z has. I have had mine on for a couple months and never have heard this so called drone. I think the exhaust sounds amazing and people actually can tell it’s a V8 under the hood...
Originally Posted by mattcocita
I was in an '08 ISF a few days ago that had a Joe-Z intake and exhaust. The sounds was incredible and there wasn't any drone that I noticed.
Originally Posted by SeanGTS
I installed my Joe Z exhaust today, I think your all crazy

Sound is perfect. Although, I'm used to hearing the open downpipe on the celica
Originally Posted by blitz_714
There is no drone Jason You'll hear it when i see you Sunday

Thanks for all the honest opinions guys...

The good news is that we are not changing the system.... It's been made exactly the same way for the last 4 years....

So all we will ever have is ONE proven version..

I applaud those who have made custom modifications to their systems, to fulfill their daily needs..

Regards,
~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 03-05-12 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-12-13, 07:29 PM
AussieISF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm quite torn between doing this muffler mod and just putting the stock exhaust back on. I've got the Borla catback and while I like the sound, the 2k RPM drone just kills it for me. I've done everything, sound deadening material, added venturis which helped, but it's still there.

Personally, it kills the dual nature of the car for me to have that drone. Does putting on the stock mufflers back on eliminate the drone?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: This is how I got rid of the drone on my Joe-Z exhuast