Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS F
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires

Old 11-06-11, 09:21 AM   #16
rhy
Pole Position
Trader Score: (2)

The PSS are great. Compared to the stock PS2s, they offer more grip while preserving the ride quality. Maybe it helps that I went to 275s They should also last longer, but only time will tell.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
rhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-11, 11:15 AM   #17
melbitoast
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (1)

Hmmm...so the theme I'm seeing here is the guys with the wider tires are having more luck. Guess I should go bigger next time.

Question for the wider set guys: have any of you just absolutely floored it from a stand still or even at a decent roll going in a straight line?

MODS to-be-done: sway bar, springs

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
melbitoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-11, 11:31 AM   #18
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

I remember hearing that the PSS dont have the little rim protecting overage lip sticking out from them like the PS2 does, is this true? That has actually saved my wheels a couple times with my PS2s.
CaptAwsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-11, 04:26 PM   #19
mikefate
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbitoast View Post
Hmmm...so the theme I'm seeing here is the guys with the wider tires are having more luck. Guess I should go bigger next time.

Question for the wider set guys: have any of you just absolutely floored it from a stand still or even at a decent roll going in a straight line?
Ill try and do some video this weekend of straight off the line cold tires from a stop, straight flooring it. They will break loose, but it's very predictable and completely different than my stock bridgestones.
'03 IS300T - sold
'01 IS300 - gone
mikefate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-11, 05:17 PM   #20
stratman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shot View Post
do you like your JoeZ intake? how much noiser is it than stock? performance over stock? thks. shot
It's a little louder than stock but not by much. It very much fits with the characteristic sounds of the IS F.
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-11, 07:06 PM   #21
staman
Pole Position
Trader Score: (1)

I see a lot of guys who race the ISF using Toyo Proxes T1R. I thought they would be really expensive but compared to the PSS they are actually cheaper. The toyo t1r for the front in 225/35ZR19 is actually only 250.00 a tire which is practically a steal. It is 5% thinner than the OEM 40ZR but i dont think theres much of a difference. What do you guys think?
staman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 06:03 AM   #22
TangoC
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhy View Post
The PSS are great. Compared to the stock PS2s, they offer more grip while preserving the ride quality. Maybe it helps that I went to 275s They should also last longer, but only time will tell.
I have the same size PSS's on my IS-F and agree they offer more grip than the PS2's, especially in the wet.

Quote:
I remember hearing that the PSS dont have the little rim protecting overage lip sticking out from them like the PS2 does, is this true? That has actually saved my wheels a couple times with my PS2s.
The PSS also has the protection lips.

Quote:
I see a lot of guys who race the ISF using Toyo Proxes T1R. I thought they would be really expensive but compared to the PSS they are actually cheaper. The toyo t1r for the front in 225/35ZR19 is actually only 250.00 a tire which is practically a steal. It is 5% thinner than the OEM 40ZR but i dont think theres much of a difference. What do you guys think?
I switched to Toyo T1-R's on 19" rims (8.5" & 9.5") on my IS250, mainly because they generate a lot less road noise than the original Potenza's. The T1-R is a good tyre, but it's quite soft. On the IS-F I'd say you wouldn't get much road mileage out of them compared to the PSS, so value per buck the PSS is better.
IS200 Sport Navigator and IS250, US spec Eibachs, BBK with polished calipers, full OEM GFX and lip spoiler, window tints, Volks 19" forged rims, JoeZ intake with Blitz filter and Tanabe Medallion exhaust, SE-L MM
TangoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 07:25 AM   #23
lukeisf
Driver

I have the toyo t1r in a 275 and I'm very disappointed with how the ride was. Now I'm going with the continental DW and hope they are better and I only paid 284 for 285
lukeisf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 12:25 PM   #24
Bpower
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
Hey shot,

I too went with the PSS tires but upped the width. Fronts are now 245/35/19 and the back are 275/30/19 on stock wheels. They fit perfectly and definitely helped in the handling department as well as offering a better ride (at 36 psi all around) than the stock Potenzas. You can still pull the rear out if you go through a curve and gas it but not nearly as much as with the stock tires and size. For the most part they hold a line really well. I'm also pleased that the gas mileage did not suffer much either; About 0.2 miles per gallon according to the onboard computer's average miles per tank of gas.
By the way, my F is a 2009 Starfire Pearl White with a black (vinyl) top and tinted windows. Only drive train mods are these tires, Joe Z intake and an AFE pro dry S drop-in air filter.
Any cons to up sizing?
Bpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 02:59 PM   #25
lowrideraz
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)

^^^^Not in my experience, only Pros. See my thread:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f...xtreme-dw.html

Lou
Old 06-29-12, 07:15 AM   #26
IS350atWOT
Lead Lap

In the new August issue of Car and Driver, they just ranked the Michelin Pilot Super Sport number one. The top 3 were 1.) Michelin PSS 2.) Bridgestone S-04 Pole Positions and 3.) Yokohoma Advan Neova AD08. The were really impressed with the PSS's wet performance.

I'm needing new front tires now and this confirms my choice of going with the PSS.
Old 06-29-12, 07:25 AM   #27
scrosby
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefate View Post
I have them and I love them. They are very predictable and dependable. My 305's in back grab the road like no other tire I've used. I will never go with another tire on this car.
Did you have to mod anything to get the 305's to fit in the rear?
scrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 10:19 AM   #28
RCB
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosby View Post
Did you have to mod anything to get the 305's to fit in the rear?
I don't think you'll get a reply from Mike. I bought the car from him and I'm not sure that he browses the forum anymore.
To answer your question in his/my behalf the fenders where modded. Mike had rolled and did a light pull on them. When I purchased the car I also decide to purchase the wheels. When I reinstalled them on the car it still had a rubbing issue and was peeling the outer sidewall (more so on the right side) I had to grind the tabs on the bottom edge of the quarter panel and repaint it.
After that it was a lot better but still rubbed at times, more so with a full tank of gas and/or a passenger. I got the Mega Arms from Figs and I have toe links on order, next will be BC/Swift COs.
While I am waiting for the Figs toe links I decided to install an F sport sway bar temporarily and the rub seems to be gone. I tried the car yesterday on a test track that has some turns with elevation change and I had no rub. I think I had it down to cornering load and the sway bar limited the body roll enough to stop it. I'll probably leave the bar installed with the new suspension now that I have it.

If I had to do it from scratch I would probably go with 295s but now that the hard part is done I'm very happy to have the PSS 305s that Mike and Figs had picked out.
That being said I only have the stock Brigestones to compare this tire to on the ISF but I still see no reason to explore other tire options.

I think this will be the next tire that goes on the Supra when the NT05s are worn.
08' IS-F M.M., SARD CUVU Evolution, FIGS Mega Arms/Toe Links, BC Wheels w/305s, FIGS 2 piece F&R rotors, BC/Swift Coils, FIGS Bushings, Cusco Bar, iCode/aFe , PPE/Borla, ARKYM diffuser, Vaistech, JL sub/amp, LED, Ultinon, Morimoto, JDM visors...
93.5 Supra Anthracite GT42R 857 WHP
03' GMC Yukon Denali on 26s
00' CBR 600 F4
91' Galant VR-4 1459/2000 *Sold*
RCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 06:43 PM   #29
jchong
Driver

Richard Bell

Does anyone have pictures of this set up?
2007 Civic SI (sold)
jchong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 07:13 PM   #30
lowrideraz
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)

^^^^Here:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f...r-fitment.html

Lou
Old 06-29-12, 07:13 PM

Tags
19x85, as, cup, gs350, lexus, michelin, micheline, pilot, pss, ride, sport, sports, super, t1r, toyo