Updates: JPM X Cusco x MM IS-F

Old 10-11-11, 09:39 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Updates: JPM X Cusco x MM IS-F

It's been awhile since I've posted anything new on my car so I figured I would

CUSCO

A couple months ago the guys at Cusco USA approached me to test fit some new front & rear shock tower bars on the my IS-F.

The rear bar (not pictured ) is the same as the regular 2IS but the front bar is different (to clear the engine cover). What you see here is the prototype and they hope to have the production version completed and ready for sale late 2011 or early 2012. Price TBD.

NOTE: I did notice some increased chassis rigidity but you are not going to install shock/strut bars and transform your car into a "race car"

http://www.cusco.co.jp/en/parts_prod...for_lexus.html

This is a going to be a good alternative to the more expensive TOM's or iCode front and rear braces currently available for the IS F. And yes you have the GT Spec bars that "look like" Cusco bars but aren't and weren't designed for the front of the IS-F, contacts the engine cover and not made in Japan.

The Cusco bar clears the factory engine cover but as with all front shock bars on the IS-F, they will require trimming or removal of the left and right covers. The rear will require holes to be placed in the rear trunk carpet panels to fit the bar or removal.

So far I've noticed a marginal increase in chassis rigidity and at some point in the future I may test fit/install some of the other parts they offer for the 2IS to see if they will fit our cars.

JPM Coachworks

One of the other things I had done was recovering of the factory wheel (and most importantly) in addition to making it thicker. The factory wheel grip diameter is 4.5" vs 5.2" on the wheel I had done by JPM Coachworks. It is the same thickness as the M3 (which is the one of the best factory steering wheels I've ever felt/driven).

I bought a core from a 2IS and had it sent to them with what I wanted, perforated alcantara at the top and bottom with perforated leather on the sides to match the seats and blue stitching. The folks at JPM maintained communication with me throughout the process. They called me when they got the core wheel to confirm what I outlined in my letter and emailed me with tracking when it was completed. The process took less than 2 weeks even though they quoted longer.

I won't quote pricing here but it's not cheap. The materials are all top grade, feel like OEM and are not like the other wheels on the market which I purchased before realizing that it was not what I wanted.

Now for the pics!

NOTE: If you have to have the "F" on the steering wheel I'm sure you can send your stock wheel and they can accommodate your request. I couldn't care less and wanted to keep my factory wheel as is so the core without the "F" worked for me

Thanks for looking!
Old 10-11-11, 09:46 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the updates! I'm surprised that the bars are not making more of a difference. I guess it speaks to the stock stiffness of the chassis.

The steering wheel quality looks really good! I actually like the stock thickness though, so I def. won't be looking at this mod. My hands get tired from gripping thick steering wheels.
Old 10-11-11, 10:11 PM
96817isf
Lexus Test Driver

how much is the upper strut bars..n will u get a discount if u get both of them at the same time?? wishful thinking i know but just gotta ask
Old 10-11-11, 11:27 PM
SExDEVIN
Driver School Candidate

Nice upgrade boss
Old 10-11-11, 11:30 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

I was going to say that the front strut looks like the GT spec version, but good to know that this one actually fits the F and is made in Japan!

Nice upgrades.
Old 10-11-11, 11:41 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good.
Old 10-12-11, 06:33 AM
sweetbird
Pole Position

Sweet!!! I like the steering wheel !
Old 10-12-11, 07:55 AM
rhy
Pole Position

Very nice steering wheel!
Old 10-12-11, 09:20 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Loving the steering wheel.
Old 10-12-11, 09:44 AM
riboflavin
Driver

looks great!
Old 10-12-11, 10:44 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,832 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If they could sew in a thin red section at the top of the wheel, it would be pretty ideal.
Old 10-12-11, 11:24 AM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If they could sew in a thin red section at the top of the wheel, it would be pretty ideal.
They can do that and just about anything else you want. See below.

http://www.jpmcoachworks.com/jpm/sho...-re-cover.html
Old 10-12-11, 11:42 AM
Apexsports
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Both parts look top notch! Thanks for the detailed info also.
Old 10-14-11, 01:01 AM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by primecut
Thanks for the updates! I'm surprised that the bars are not making more of a difference. I guess it speaks to the stock stiffness of the chassis.

The steering wheel quality looks really good! I actually like the stock thickness though, so I def. won't be looking at this mod. My hands get tired from gripping thick steering wheels.
You must have small hands then , just kidding. I couldn't be happier with the quality and the way it feels. It also really adds to the joy of driving the car for me. These things are really subjective though.

Originally Posted by 96817isf
how much is the upper strut bars..n will u get a discount if u get both of them at the same time?? wishful thinking i know but just gotta ask
See first post for price.

Originally Posted by SExDEVIN
Nice upgrade boss
Thanks Dev!

Originally Posted by ShadowISF
I was going to say that the front strut looks like the GT spec version, but good to know that this one actually fits the F and is made in Japan!

Nice upgrades.
Originally Posted by CalitriSC
Looks good.
Originally Posted by sweetbird
Sweet!!! I like the steering wheel !
Originally Posted by rhy
Very nice steering wheel!
Originally Posted by OneSiCkF
Loving the steering wheel.
Originally Posted by riboflavin
looks great!
Thank you all!

Originally Posted by Apexsports
Both parts look top notch! Thanks for the detailed info also.
Thanks! I tried to be as detailed as possible and cover the typical questions people may have.
Old 10-14-11, 09:45 PM
96817isf
Lexus Test Driver

sorry but i was tryin to order it but i couldn't seem to find a dealer in the usa can someone help me out please

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Updates: JPM X Cusco x MM IS-F