IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Secondary cat delete, add x pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-11, 03:55 AM
Super6
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secondary cat delete, add x pipe

X pipes and 2nd cat deletes were all the rave in the mercedes Benz world. Hoerver, I dont see much of that going on here. Anybody here done it to their isf? Also, I assume there are no sensors on the secondary cats on our cars?
Old 09-28-11, 04:16 AM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Many people have the JoeZ exhaust that does both. It's good for about a 10 HP gain.

JoeZ and stock

Name:  JoeZ01.jpg
Views: 16191
Size:  61.6 KB

JoeZ

Name:  JoeZ.jpg
Views: 5300
Size:  54.1 KB
Old 09-28-11, 04:52 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Super6
X pipes and 2nd cat deletes were all the rave in the mercedes Benz world. Hoerver, I dont see much of that going on here. Anybody here done it to their isf? Also, I assume there are no sensors on the secondary cats on our cars?
There are quite a few of us here that done a secondary cat/muffler delete. Works great, sounds great, and is very economical. My particular setup has flanges so that i can put my stock mufflers back on within 15 minutes.
Old 09-28-11, 05:29 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My muffler/cat delete Enjoy

The sensors are before your secondary cats, so no worrying about that. I don't think the xpipe in the stock set up would be optimal because its not a true dual exhaust set up. When going custom or buying an exhaust from ISS or Joe then the X pipe is beneficial because they are a true dual
Old 09-28-11, 07:09 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by Super6
I dont see much of that going on here. Anybody here done it to their isf? Also, I assume there are no sensors on the secondary cats on our cars?
Maybe you don't see it, because you really haven't looked. Lot's of us have done something and as has been said, the JoeZ PTS is the most popular. I have headers, aftermarket cats, an X pipe, glass pack resonators and I am utilizing the stock mufflers. And, the answer to your question is yes, there are no sensors on the secondary cats in the stock system.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Secondary cat delete, add x pipe-exhaust-resonator-s.jpg  
Old 09-28-11, 08:31 AM
Super6
Driver

Thanks folks. I love the Joe z set up etc. On the Benz the x pipe in place of 2nd cats,stock resonator delete subed with high flow resonator with stock mufflers was a $250 mod. In the long term I would like to add the Joe z but might do the x in the short term.
Old 09-28-11, 10:03 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^As was mentioned above, just doing an X will gain you nothing because the stock system already mingles both banks of the exhaust. However, removal of the secondary cats and replacing them with straight pipe might gain you something. The stock ISF exhaust system is not a true dual system, in that it's a two into one into two system. It starts out as two pipes through both sets of Cats (the first set is in the manifolds) than merges into a single Resonator and splits off again to exit the rear into two mufflers. Lexus describes the system as:

The stainless steel exhaust system starts with tubular exhaust manifolds and integrated catalysts. Next come dual 2.4-inch diameter front pipes that are joined before a pre-muffler and 2.7-inch single center pipe, after which the system splits into two 2.1-inch pipes and enters dual 16.8-liter mufflers.
IMO, the most restrictive part of the stock exhaust is the squished area in the rear where it branches off into two pipes on its way to the mufflers.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 09-28-11 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-03-11, 07:21 PM
Super6
Driver

Ok, X-pipe scenario makes sense.

Hey Lou,

I like your set up as it's simple and relatively economical. Couple of questions:
1) How long are those resonators? I assume they are 2.5 sized in diameter?
2) Did you notice any performance gains with your set up?
3) Do you have any sound clips?

Thanks.
Old 10-03-11, 07:53 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Ya know, I didn't measure the length of my resonators, guess I never thought about it. I'll measure them the next time I'm under the car. Yes they are 2.5: in ID. Sound clip is here:

http://youtu.be/YMMeD9tEvf4

This is my current setup with PPE headers, MagnaFlow cats, the resonators you see in the pict above and stock mufflers.

I noticed a performance increase with the secondary cats gone and my modified exhaust system installed alone. A big increase with the headers and HiFlow cats added.

Lou
The following users liked this post:
John12ISF (05-30-18)
Old 10-03-11, 10:34 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Maybe you don't see it, because you really haven't looked. Lot's of us have done something and as has been said, the JoeZ PTS is the most popular. I have headers, aftermarket cats, an X pipe, glass pack resonators and I am utilizing the stock mufflers. And, the answer to your question is yes, there are no sensors on the secondary cats in the stock system.

Lou
Is that a true x-pipe on your setup? If so, any reason you went with that, instead keeping the pipes separate all the way through?
Old 10-04-11, 08:38 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by primecut
Is that a true x-pipe on your setup? If so, any reason you went with that, instead keeping the pipes separate all the way through?
Yes it's a true X Pipe. As you probably are probably aware most third party exhaust systems have an X pipe, some have an H. All aftermarket systems for the F have an X, except for SRT who uses an H. The reasons are explained here a lot better than I could explain them:

Although X-pipes are essential for race cars, adding this modification to a stock car can be a good idea for many reasons – increased power, fuel economy and less noise inside the vehicle. This type of aftermarket performance part is something you can either purchase or have custom-made for you by a good muffler shop. Installation is simple enough for the at-home pro, and the result will be well worth the effort.

• The Evolution of the X-Pipe.
To understand the importance of the X-pipe in relation to improved performance and power, you have to know about its roots. The X-pipe is really the offspring of the H-pipe design, which was first conceived in the 1960s by the major American car manufacturing companies at the time. Duel exhaust pipes for V-8-powered vehicles are very noisy, as there is no sound wave cancellation between the 2 separate four-cylinder engines and unconnected exhaust systems. Engineers were looking for a way to cut down on interior noise levels and improve the engine's power. They realized that running a balance tube between the two branches of exhaust pipe would work to broaden the torque curve (thus improving engine performance) and dissipate sound resonance in the exhaust system.

In the 1990s improved technological advancements made it possible to construct an exhaust pipe that, instead of connecting by means of a balance pipe at a severe 90-degree angle, could unify the two branches of pipe to create a flow of exhaust in one direction. Now X-pipes are being manufactured for popular performance cars, usually off-road versions minus catalytic converters, but you can also find them in legal models fully equipped with proper emissions equipment. Performing an X-pipe mod is an option that you should consider.

• Why X over H?
It has been proven time and again that the X-pipe design is more efficient than the H-pipe. Various tests have shown that for multiple cylinder engines the X-pipe outperforms H-pipe exhaust systems, especially as rpm increases, providing both better torque and power. Unified exhaust pipes work most efficiently with multiple cylinders because of the scavenging effect. With exhaust X-pipes the almost seamless connection between the two exhaust pipes allows sequential firing cylinders to salvage any spent exhaust gases from the combustion chamber more efficiently and creates more room in the cylinder for a fresh intake of undiluted fuel and air. When you have two exhaust pipes, as the velocity in one header tube increases, the pressure in the adjacent tube is lowered causing the exhaust to be sucked out of that cylinder. X-pipes are simply better at doing the job, especially at higher speeds.
Lou
Old 01-18-18, 08:51 PM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider

Lou

May I ask what X pipe did you use? and what resonators?
I had these listed, but not sure if I want to buy because I'm not sure of the space of the x pipe would fit snug with behind the secondary cats.
Possible X Pipes:
http://amzn.to/2ETH7rj
http://amzn.to/2rlFIIg

Resonators:
http://bit.ly/2DsSGbX
Old 01-18-18, 09:33 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Wow, this thread is over 6 years old! I don't even remember it But, please re-read my post No. 7 above. It was true 6 years ago and it's today. There's absolutely no reason to put an X-Pipe into a stock ISF exhaust system because of the reasons stated above.

Lou
Old 01-19-18, 04:47 PM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Wow, this thread is over 6 years old! I don't even remember it But, please re-read my post No. 7 above. It was true 6 years ago and it's today. There's absolutely no reason to put an X-Pipe into a stock ISF exhaust system because of the reasons stated above.

Lou
Lou, I'm going to create a duel system out of mine, but since I live in CA I have to hold onto the secondary cats unfortunately. I could get rid of them, but Im planning to make 2 test pipes that I will fabricate in order to be able to quick swap in the CAT location. Would have gone Joe Z... Put my old exhaust on because smog... But Id rather have it this way because l'm weird haha
Old 01-19-18, 09:10 PM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OneFastF
Lou, I'm going to create a duel system out of mine, but since I live in CA I have to hold onto the secondary cats unfortunately. I could get rid of them, but Im planning to make 2 test pipes that I will fabricate in order to be able to quick swap in the CAT location. Would have gone Joe Z... Put my old exhaust on because smog... But Id rather have it this way because l'm weird haha
You will pass smog without secondary cats. I have the X-Force exhaust(copy cat of the Joe Z) on my ISF. You'll pass the OBD2 test and if a tech does a visual he'll see the cats on the stock headers.

Quick Reply: Secondary cat delete, add x pipe