IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Apex throttle controller

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-11, 10:13 PM
lexuswtf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apex throttle controller

Ok!!! Yet another addition from VIP i just got in!!! Haven't installed yet, but from what I can tell so far, it's pretty user friendly.. Stay tuned for install and Tests... http://vipautosalon.com/store/index....cel-controller
Old 09-26-11, 11:28 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

I saw it had like 7 or 8 settings. Although user friendly, that's a lot. Once installed, give us your opinion on it. Can't wait.
Old 09-27-11, 12:33 AM
Nate008
Pole Position

I'm going to install mine today hopefully. I got it mainly because of all the different setting options. Install does seem it should be clean and easy. Hopefully it works well as it is a very reasonably priced alternative to Toms/Blitz.
Old 09-27-11, 06:18 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let us know if you notice a huge difference, and post videos of the difference if possible.

I've tested my TOMS LTS in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...os-inside.html
Old 09-27-11, 10:50 AM
VIP Auto Salon
Former Sponsor

I will be doing an installation video and review video REAL soon on our ISF. Here is how it looks installed on our ISF, installation took less than 10 minutes and the button just happens to fit Perfectly into one of the button holes.

Old 09-27-11, 11:51 AM
Linkseal
Driver

^ Looks like a clean stealth install, can't wait to see more pics and reviews...
Old 09-27-11, 12:44 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Yeah, very stealthy. Looking forward to the reviews of the different modes.
Old 09-27-11, 01:16 PM
lexuswtf
Lexus Test Driver

That's where I put my warp speed button!!!
Old 09-27-11, 04:14 PM
VIP Auto Salon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lexuswtf
That's where I put my warp speed button!!!
Mine is behind my Flux Capacitor!
Old 09-27-11, 04:40 PM
Nate008
Pole Position

I can't really make a review of all the diff modes as I really only tried two (The two I will be using most)

ECO 3-Dark Blue Color- "Slowest" mode. Car def felt sluggish and hopefully will save me some gas lol.

HIGH THROTTLE MODE-Red Color- My fav of course haha. This coupled with MANUAL+SPORT mode=Sex. Seemed like the pedal was more sensitive to the foot and barely had to move to make the car move.

It is just like TOMS/Blitz will not turn on until you push a button to turn it on. It will revert back to the same mode you left it on when you turned the car off. Although I didn't drive the vehicle for long, I did manage to cycle through the different modes while on the throttle and def could tell how the throttle response was affected depending on the mode it was in. I did not install the reverse cancel wire as I won't need it. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE how this thing fits in the switch spot perfectly and looks pretty damn OEM IMO. Especially in ECO 3 Mode-Dark Blue matches interior blue very well. Seems to be a great product at a great price so far

I have to thank Steven@VIPAutoSalon for the install tips/fast service. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts in your more in depth-review.

Here's a crappy cell phone pic of how mine turned out.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 09-27-11, 05:53 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW, very clean installation, congrats. From what I've read the mode that I'd use it the most would be BOOST, it seems to be adaptive as opposed as a fixed percentage.

The reverse cancel feature is a must for me, why didn't you install it if you have it? Let's say you're at a red light and the car in front rolls back, you put reverse and quickly back up... if you were in HIGH THROTTLE you'd certainly hit the car behind, or damage your tranny, right?
Old 09-27-11, 06:16 PM
Nate008
Pole Position

@ Juanca- Thanks! Yes that install is sick. It looks so OEM it's crazy. With more driving time I will find the mode/modes I like best. I only tried High Throttle because I wanted to try the "Slowest & Fastest" setting to see if I saw a difference.

About the reverse cancel feature, it was kinda meh to me. It will stay on one of the ECO modes 99% of the time so I didn't feel I really needed it. Even switching to the High Throttle Mode I found myself switching right back to ECO 3 immediately after finishing the pull before anything can "happen". Now that I saw that I will probably forget to turn it off now lol.

Also, is there any proof that it would damage the tranny? I don't see how it could really.

@ lexuswtf- Did you get to install yours yet?

Last edited by Nate008; 09-27-11 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-27-11, 07:05 PM
lexuswtf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nate008
@ Juanca- Thanks! Yes that install is sick. It looks so OEM it's crazy. With more driving time I will find the mode/modes I like best. I only tried High Throttle because I wanted to try the "Slowest & Fastest" setting to see if I saw a difference.

About the reverse cancel feature, it was kinda meh to me. It will stay on one of the ECO modes 99% of the time so I didn't feel I really needed it. Even switching to the High Throttle Mode I found myself switching right back to ECO 3 immediately after finishing the pull before anything can "happen". Now that I saw that I will probably forget to turn it off now lol.

Also, is there any proof that it would damage the tranny? I don't see how it could really.

@ lexuswtf- Did you get to install yours yet?
I sure did sir!!!.... i freakin love that i don't have to mash on the pedal all the time anymore.. .i can just push a button... .... it only took me seriously like 5 min.. (after i found the accelerator position sensor.. thanks steven!!) ... haven't mounted it yet tho.. just went about 10 miles testing all the settings.. and your right Nate... blue and red are all i'll ever use...... for those of you who want your car 'faster',,, this isn't for you...i definitly felt a huge difference in throttle response though... from normal to super slow eco.. to sensitive red... to put it perspective.. the red setting is as sensitive as me crying in the theatre when Wilson died/floated away in the movie "Castaway"

OK... so there you have it people!!!! quick review from two of us 'F'ers ... i give it two : .... THANKS VIP...THANKS CLARK AND STEVEN!!! EOS-X here i come!!

BTW.. let me emphasize that this is not going to make your car faster... but better throttle response, my car doesn't feel 'faster'.. just that i don't have to floor the pedal to get the throttle to open all the way ...... so no video 'VtotheJ" unless u want to see my foot...

Last edited by lexuswtf; 09-27-11 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-27-11, 07:37 PM
Nate008
Pole Position

Awesome! I'm glad you see it the same way. Yea I didn't mean to have my post read like the car got slower or faster. I only meant when talking about throttle response it was less sensitive or more sensitive. I'm bad at typing things I am thinking or want to say lol.

Most people know by now that throttle controllers don't make our cars faster, just the driver lazier since pedal doesn't have to go to the floor lol.

It gets thumbs up from me so far as well. Cheap and OEM looking alternative to Toms/Blitz.
Old 09-27-11, 08:09 PM
lexuswtf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nate008
Awesome! I'm glad you see it the same way. Yea I didn't mean to have my post read like the car got slower or faster. I only meant when talking about throttle response it was less sensitive or more sensitive. I'm bad at typing things I am thinking or want to say lol.

Most people know by now that throttle controllers don't make our cars faster, just the driver lazier since pedal doesn't have to go to the floor lol.

It gets thumbs up from me so far as well. Cheap and OEM looking alternative to Toms/Blitz.
no worries.. i'm sure most peepz know what a throttle controller does... but i did want to ask Nate... how'd u mount that.. did u have to pull the consol out to mount it?... how'd u take the cover off?

Quick Reply: Apex throttle controller