IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My battle with Nitto

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-11, 07:43 PM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ming15237
Fap I own a auto repair shop so I will give you my professional opinion, I still dabble in and was once a forensic investigator, meaning if you died, I figured our why and how. ( Our shop sells anywhere from 75 to 100 sets of tires a week) The first tire almost certainly failed due to improper tire mounting, this can range from they did not use enough lube on the tire to the bead of the tire slipped under the mounting head of the tire mounting machine, there are many things that can cause this type of tire failure. the second tire appears to have been damage by being pinched by the wheel, this causes a slice in the tire sidewall (thereby severing the nylon cords in the sidewall) which continues to weaken over time and eventually failed in the manor seen. Hope this helps. And PLEASE make sure the next company mounting your tires has the proper equipment to mount them.
Wow thanks for your forensic analysis of both situations. So what do you think is causing the bubbles in the sidewall on my third tire?
Old 09-21-11, 07:44 PM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by primecut
Thanks for the info. What psi were you running on those tires? I've also never heard of Nittos being an issue.
Mid 30s until recently Nitto corrected me and said that it requires 42psi.

Nice sig, I know I typed it but I still laugh when I read that!
Old 09-22-11, 07:17 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fapout
Wow thanks for your forensic analysis of both situations. So what do you think is causing the bubbles in the sidewall on my third tire?
Can you post up a pic of the third tire? Usually the telltale information is found inside the tire on the sidewall where the initial damage took place. That being said I am NOT a fan of Nitto tires. They may make a decent competition tire (honestly not an area I am involved in, but we have never received positive praise from customers on their performance, and longevity, we make it a point to NOT offer them for sale at our facility.
Old 09-22-11, 09:07 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nitto Invo is a nice looking tire, that's it. The sidewall is too soft to consider it a performance tire, something that the ISF needs.

Let me see if I understand this correctly, have all 3 tires been mounted on the same wheel? Have you checked the wheel for imperfections?

Now that you mentioned the Eagle F1s, I was on the market for new tires a couple of weeks ago, same sizes as yours. My previous setup was Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, terrific tires, not a single complain! I wanted to try something different so I decided to go with the Michelin PSS... too bad they don't have the front size, only rears. After days of research I went with the Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetric. From the hundreds of reviews that I read some people complained about 2 things: road noise (which I discarded as in these sizes there will always be road noise), and tread life. For a summer tire I don't expect them to last a long time, especially considering the way I drive, so I searched online and found that Tire Rack had them at closeout. Well, I can't be happier, the tires are great, sharp cornering and steering response, grip is better than the OEM Bridgstone and Vredestein... and best of all is the closeout price, all 4 tires for $550. I checked a couple of days ago and they're still at closeout price.
Old 09-22-11, 09:23 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca
Nitto Invo is a nice looking tire, that's it. The sidewall is too soft to consider it a performance tire, something that the ISF needs.

Let me see if I understand this correctly, have all 3 tires been mounted on the same wheel? Have you checked the wheel for imperfections?

Now that you mentioned the Eagle F1s, I was on the market for new tires a couple of weeks ago, same sizes as yours. My previous setup was Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, terrific tires, not a single complain! I wanted to try something different so I decided to go with the Michelin PSS... too bad they don't have the front size, only rears. After days of research I went with the Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetric. From the hundreds of reviews that I read some people complained about 2 things: road noise (which I discarded as in these sizes there will always be road noise), and tread life. For a summer tire I don't expect them to last a long time, especially considering the way I drive, so I searched online and found that Tire Rack had them at closeout. Well, I can't be happier, the tires are great, sharp cornering and steering response, grip is better than the OEM Bridgstone and Vredestein... and best of all is the closeout price, all 4 tires for $550. I checked a couple of days ago and they're still at closeout price.

nice Juanca! good deal. so we have a couple of good tires to choose from and a not so good nitto. Hope u resolve ur problem with Nitto Fapout. I'm on continentals DW and love em. next time i might try michelins PSS or vredestein.
Old 09-23-11, 12:25 AM
hydralisk
Driver

Im not too keen on 20s and rubber band tires but....

Could it be because the Load Rating is SL, 90W only able to hold 600kg, below the recommended XL rating?

I could be wrong, just thinking on the keyboard... I remember a thread where everyone was like.. "use XL rated tires only or else"
Old 09-23-11, 12:39 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

When HRE sent me to one of their local retailers, the shop recommended that I not use Nitto or Falken tires with the expensive HREs....
Old 09-23-11, 09:17 AM
Laid_Out
Driver

I've heard mixed reviews on NItto tires but nothing like this!
Old 09-23-11, 09:25 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ouch that sucks. damn Nittos customer service, that first tire is an easy claim for a faulty tire.
Old 09-23-11, 09:55 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nitto Invo are notorious for complaints. Just google it. Overpriced, cheap made tires with known problems across the boards. Stay away from Nitto as a whole. I rather go with "sunny" then Nitto.
Old 09-24-11, 07:48 AM
meade916
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by onihc
it looks to me that the sidewall wear was after the tire blew out. he had to ride like that til he pulled over.
tires dont wear THAT much just from pulling over to the side of the road. Thats a LOT of inner tire wear if you ask me. Thats miles and miles of wear not 150 feet (pulling over after a blow out). To me, looking at it from someone who has rode rubber-bands since a 50 series tire was a "rubber band"......it looks like you were riding low on air pressure and had it pinching itself silly for miles on the road and didnt know it. Low pro's are hard to tell you low on air but then again we have sensors so that shouldnt be an issue. Did i read you had them inflated in the 30's somewehre? I keep mine around 48.

I own Nitto Invo's but im not defending them, just observing your pictures and stating what i think based on that. Either way ill be paying closer attention to mine from now on. I wanted Pirelli's not Nitto's anyway but they have been on national backorder for MONTHS .....so these are temporary till that "little" company can get off thier *** and make my tires!! (285/25/20)