IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus won't fix warped brake rotor on warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-11, 10:41 PM
hlee1169
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Lexus won't fix warped brake rotor on warranty

I have a 2008 ISF with 29K miles. Starting around 23K miles the car started to vibrate when I braked above 40 miles/hr, so I took the car into the dealer. They first resurface the rotors, all 4 of them since they found every one has some degrees of unevenness. After around 3K, the car vibrated again, so I took her in and the dealer decided to replaced the front rotors, on warranty. Now, 3K miles later, the front rotors wrapped again, but this time they refused to fix it on warranty. They claimed Lexus refused to pay for them.

I am pretty unhappy, and I wrote to the service director about it. He claimed that Lexus factory service representative was there on the same day as I brought my car in, and he has denied the warranty claim. He also told me that heat warped the brake, so I have to avoid it. I was like, come on, ISF is designed for performance, and its brake rotors can't handle the heat? I never took it to track, only drove around in the bay area, and driven by my wife. It probably sees a life as easy as a Camry driver.

I am looking for advice on how to proceed, since I found his explanation unacceptable. Who should I contact next? The Lexus factory representative? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-11, 11:11 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you could write a letter to lexus corporate and see what they say.

However, i think the bigger problem is finding out why your rotors are warpping. They shouldn't be warping anywhere this fast, especially if you don't track your car. Are your brakes installed correctly?
Old 08-30-11, 03:31 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Before anything else, do the next easiest thing. Take it to another dealer. From what I have read in these forums, two dealers will have totally different commitments.
Old 08-30-11, 05:45 AM
crazymikie
Driver

It almost seems like the calipers are dragging or something. I can't see how you could overheat the brakes short of driving around with one foot on the gas and one on the brakes....
Old 08-30-11, 08:25 AM
BoostLver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2 on crazymikie; it's unlikely your rotors are actually warped unless you have incomplete pad release. You most likely have uneven pad transfer.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

Short answer: cool your brakes before coming to a stop.
Old 08-30-11, 09:04 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

What dealer is giving you a hard time? I have had pretty good with luck with Lexus of Steven's Creek in San Jose.
Old 08-30-11, 09:22 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Right on.... Rotors don't warp..

If you post pictures, I bet we will see some nice channel / groove wear patterns.....

Lobuxracer will explain the rest.. (Class in session)

In an nut shell, the Factory Service Rep and/or your service writer doesn't understand whats happening to the Brembo Rotors...

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 08-30-11 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-30-11, 02:57 PM
FPR1939
Pole Position

Did you properly bed in the pads? I have 75k miles on my ISF including 4 track days. I'm on my 2nd set of front rotors, originals on back, and have not had a minute's trouble, noise or vibration.

Bedding procedure I have used: 0-90 WOT, brake hard, repeat 6-8 times as quickly as possible. Then take it to the Texas World Speedway's 2.9 mile closed course and run the heck out of it.

Pat
Old 08-30-11, 05:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by crazymikie
It almost seems like the calipers are dragging or something. I can't see how you could overheat the brakes short of driving around with one foot on the gas and one on the brakes....
You'd be amazed how many women drive this way. A good friend worked at a Honda dealership and he told me there were Civics he would see every 10k miles for pads. The only way you can do this is drive with both feet - one on the brake, and one on the gas. I'd bet a whole lot of money this is what is happening here. My first set of rotors would still be on the car at 53k if they hadn't developed cracks beyond acceptable limits from track driving. They still have lots of thickness left, and never gave any issues with the so-called warping.

I once followed an M3 convertible driver down I-5 for about 25 miles at night. His brakes lights were on the entire time. His brake rotors had a dull red glow. I can't imagine how poor his gas mileage must be.
Old 08-30-11, 08:06 PM
hlee1169
Rookie

Originally Posted by edgeucated
you could write a letter to lexus corporate and see what they say.

However, i think the bigger problem is finding out why your rotors are warpping. They shouldn't be warping anywhere this fast, especially if you don't track your car. Are your brakes installed correctly?
Since it was installed by the dealer, I would assume it's installed correctly. The service supervisor said the mechanic inspected the brakes and thinks everything is mechanical sound.
Old 08-30-11, 08:08 PM
hlee1169
Rookie

Originally Posted by PurduePete
Before anything else, do the next easiest thing. Take it to another dealer. From what I have read in these forums, two dealers will have totally different commitments.
Thanks! I will try this suggestion, although I think the service history of a Lexus is available to all dealers, so my hope is not high.
Old 08-30-11, 08:11 PM
hlee1169
Rookie

Originally Posted by BoostLver
x2 on crazymikie; it's unlikely your rotors are actually warped unless you have incomplete pad release. You most likely have uneven pad transfer.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

Short answer: cool your brakes before coming to a stop.
Thanks for the link, I will take a look.

How do you cool? If it's just driving locally, and occasional highway, could it be considered overheat? Although it is probably not a good comparison, I am much harder on the 911 Carrera's brakes and did not experience the same problem.
Old 08-30-11, 08:14 PM
hlee1169
Rookie

Originally Posted by FPR1939
Did you properly bed in the pads? I have 75k miles on my ISF including 4 track days. I'm on my 2nd set of front rotors, originals on back, and have not had a minute's trouble, noise or vibration.

Bedding procedure I have used: 0-90 WOT, brake hard, repeat 6-8 times as quickly as possible. Then take it to the Texas World Speedway's 2.9 mile closed course and run the heck out of it.

Pat
I didn't bed it, I thought the dealer is supposed to do it after the rotor replacement?
Old 08-30-11, 08:15 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I warpped my front rotors on the track with garbage brake pads... oops

I had smoked my factory set of pads at 25K with a few track days included and there was two days before another track event. Becuase I couldn't get anything worth having in two days and they were 95 buck I threw a set of Raybestos OEM replacement pads on thinking the stockers did ok on the track. So two days later I drove to the track (5ish hours) and did three 1 hour sessions to get black flagged on my second to last lap of the day because my front brakes were spraking.... I was metal on metal Not to mention I had been complaining all day like a wet vag because I had lost minimum 200 feet in stopping power from any speed above 60 once they got hot.
I am tuffing out a vibration during braking till the rotors meet minimum width or cracking reaches replacement limits. I have a fresh set waiting for the day... with Carbotech bobcats and xp12/xp10 to rid myself of brake issues.

Probably gonna get some Toyo proxy888's to match the xp series pads on the track... dun dun dun
Old 08-30-11, 08:16 PM
hlee1169
Rookie

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
What dealer is giving you a hard time? I have had pretty good with luck with Lexus of Steven's Creek in San Jose.
The same dealer. I bought 3 Lexus from them and have serviced all my cars at the dealer, but apparently it means nothing as a loyal customer.

Quick Reply: Lexus won't fix warped brake rotor on warranty