IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F for $30k

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-11, 12:45 PM
EDouble79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man killais250, I'm looking for you on this same boat that we're on lol. I feel the same way!
Old 08-18-11, 02:07 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I've been on the search for an IS-F for a while now. Cheapest i've seen one was $36k. It had low miles too (~40k) but it sold so quickly I would have had to pick it up the same night i inquired about it. I just decided to drive my 250 till at least 70k miles (next summer for me) and then i'll check out the IS-F again and hopefully sell my 250 for one! I'm looking at 350's right now but I just can't seem to get over the IS-F....i'll probably hold out for the right deal!

Good move...Get the F never mind the 350...I had one and itched for an F the whole time but didnt want to take the financial hit for one ...in the end the itch won and I have yet to look back in regret of trading my IS350..

the 350 is a fast car with really good power...but the F is a whole other experience in itself....from the moment you fire up the 5.0 V8 you kNOW its no 350

wait and get the F...especially coming out of a 250 ...the F will feel like you can travel thru time, you'll be pickin up speed so fast.
Old 08-19-11, 12:08 AM
Riceater
Driver

I will keep looking and see what I can find. I'm not too serious right now about buying anything. I'm driving an 01' Pathfinder right now and no it's not the most exhilarating thing to drive but it's only $50 a month for insurance so I'll just keep saving and looking for a good deal. I've looked at a couple of IS350/250's and really think I'd be happier with the F since it has a much more aggressive stance and a little more power. I'll keep my eyes peeled this winter and into next spring. I'm sure some deals will start sprouting up as the new models come out and people try to bail out of the older ones.
Old 08-20-11, 08:44 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone needs to ****** this up QUICK! 2011 IS-F

It does have a salvaged title, but at that price who cares? As long as you get it checked out and it doesn't have any frame damage or hidden problems then it's well worth that price, and probably a lot more. Only time you need to worry about the salvaged title is when you go to sell it, so this would be perfect for someone who plans on driving it into the groud.

Last edited by jleonard71; 08-20-11 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-21-11, 07:24 AM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jleonard71
Someone needs to ****** this up QUICK!
It does have a salvaged title, but at that price who cares? As long as you get it checked out and it doesn't have any frame damage or hidden problems then it's well worth that price, and probably a lot more. Only time you need to worry about the salvaged title is when you go to sell it, so this would be perfect for someone who plans on driving it into the groud.
It's a $34K gamble and that's a big bet. Hidden problems can stay hidden for a long time and when they arise, you could be footing the entire bill. I wouldn't expect Lexus to honor any warranty work on it.
Old 08-22-11, 12:52 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
It's a $34K gamble and that's a big bet. Hidden problems can stay hidden for a long time and when they arise, you could be footing the entire bill. I wouldn't expect Lexus to honor any warranty work on it.
It's not that big of a gamble if you do some research and find out why it has a salvaged title, and also pay a good mechanic & body shop to do a thorough inspection on it. Not all salvaged cars have hidden issues.

I had a friend a while back whose brand new Yukon Denali was stolen, and the cops found it a few weeks later in the indian reservation. It had been stripped of pretty much all removeable parts - radio, lights, seats, wheels, brakes, rotors, suspension, etc, but the rest of the car was in mint condition. The insurance company declared it a total loss and wrote him a check for the full amount of the vehicle, which I believe was around $40K. He then made a deal with them to buy it back for around $15K, and then spent another $10K or so buying all the parts to bring it back to new condition. So he ended up with the same car in the end with a salvaged title, but it was just as good as before it was stolen.

And of course Lexus won't warranty a car with a salvaged title, but they also won't warranty a car with over 50K miles. So are you saying buying a car that is past its warranty period is a huge gamble as well? I think if this car checks out then it's a ridiculous deal for someone, as long as they don't plan on trying to sell it any time soon since salvages cars are hard to sell.
Old 08-22-11, 02:16 AM
filthywet
Driver

All these deals are getting me excited. In the past two months I dropped some good money in getting parts for my is350. But I just decided I really want n f so I decided to halt further mods on my is350 and wait till the end of next year and see if I can get a good deal on n f in the low 30k's.
Old 08-22-11, 09:13 AM
EDouble79
Driver School Candidate

I'm with you on that filthywet! My car is almost 1 year old and I haven't done anything to it lol.
Old 08-22-11, 09:19 AM
filthywet
Driver

Originally Posted by EDouble79
I'm with you on that filthywet! My car is almost 1 year old and I haven't done anything to it lol.
yea bro just wait. i love my lexus it was my first. ive always owned toyota family tho. first was an 05 xrunner, 07 single cab 5.7 tundra, now my 06 is350. couldnt be happier with the reliability, quality and the easy maintenance. i actually wanted a 335i but after looking at some in my price range most were out of warranty and after hearing about some of the costly repairs i said no way. everything that my is350 has needed ive done my self and thats why i cant wait to get my f. i know ittl be just as reliable! but with so many ponies
Old 08-22-11, 04:03 PM
paperchasi
Rookie

Give it another 6-9 months. 2012 is around the corner, which makes the 08 models 4-years old. Cars depreciate the most in the first 4 years. After that, it'll hold its value a little bit better.
Old 09-06-11, 03:40 PM
JenISF
Driver School Candidate

I purchased my 08 ISF with 70k early this year for a great price. After having it for 6 month the touch screen 'touch' stopped working. After looking into the cost to fix it being around 2k-6k for a replacement. If I am to sell my car I would have to lower the price to about $30k to make up for this... Everything still works on the car and the screen still works... just have to use voice controls for navi. Not sure I want to spend the extra money to have it fixed ...
Old 09-06-11, 03:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

The touchscreens are limited life items. Typical service life is 7 years, but if you use it a lot, it will die much sooner. Sounds like your previous owner used the screen extensively. There is a cheaper solution, but no one has made the part numbers for the overlay public yet.

I'm not fixing mine until it breaks. When it does, I'll post a DIY with everything you need. It might be awhile since my needle LEDs are still all good and my water pump isn't leaking the pink death. I think I got a good one...
Old 09-06-11, 04:04 PM
JenISF
Driver School Candidate

I'd love to see a DIY on fixing the screen. The car had a lot of highway miles... probably the case with over use. Not to be mean but now you have me wanting/wishing your screen to fail! ;-) in the nicest way possible! ... Only issue with the screen is season change... worried about heat/air and switching between the two. If I take it off AC without the touch screen I'm not sure I will be able to return it to AC.
Old 09-06-11, 04:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I never use the touch screen for the HVAC. I just set it to auto/auto and use the temperature buttons. Probably why mine is still doing fine. Really the only time I use the screen is when I'm putting in an address. I even use the voice dialing feature now instead of using the touchscreen's speed dial.
Old 09-06-11, 04:12 PM
JenISF
Driver School Candidate

So you are telling me I am out of luck for the DIY post! ugh! - Disappointment! Guess the good news is it makes for a cheaper purchase for the next lucky owner! IF I ever part from it... High miles have me a little worried but the car has been amazing! I enjoy when people have no idea what an ISF is... ah! ;-)...
Thanks again for a small amount of hope then taking it away! LOL

Quick Reply: IS-F for $30k