IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sikky headers question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-11, 09:07 AM
Bpower
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sikky headers question...

Can you run sikky headers and stock exhaust combination keeping 1 set of cats and get away without a CEL?

I figured since the 1st o2 sensor plugs in before the 1st cat and 2nd plugs in after the 2nd cat then it might be possible to just have 1 cat in each series of the piping and possibly get away with it without plugging in an o2 sim? Should one set of cats be efficient enough? thoughts?
EDIT: the answer would be no because the second sensor is pre 2nd cat.

Can someone explain to me how this o2 sim works? I don't think the ECU can communicate well and mix air and fuel correctly if you have sims everywhere.

Last edited by Bpower; 07-12-11 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-12-11, 09:36 AM
rtr01
Rookie

Take my advice. Buy PPE headers.
Old 07-12-11, 09:41 AM
Bpower
Driver

Would PPE headers work in same mentioned 1set cat delete configuration without a CEL?
Old 07-12-11, 09:45 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rtr01
Take my advice. Buy PPE headers.
can you explain?
Old 07-12-11, 09:56 AM
rtr01
Rookie

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
can you explain?
Yeah, search for a thread titled 'My Plight' and you'll understand.
Old 07-12-11, 10:27 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rtr01
Yeah, search for a thread titled 'My Plight' and you'll understand.
To the OP.

Keep in mind rtr01 is the only one whose had such complaints against the SIKKY headers. He modified them and did the install himself which is not recommended. Everyone else who had them professionally installed is enjoying them troublefree.

To answer your question though, I'm currently running stock exhaust with the SIKKY headers. I haven't tried removing the simulator to see what happens, but I'm fairly confident a CEL will still be thrown since the stock exhaust secondary cats are too far back to prevent a code from being triggered. With the Headers installed in combination with the stock exhaust all 4 o2 Sensors are pre-cat. See picture below for location of stock secondary cats. The secondary cats are located where the X pipe is on aftermarket setups.

Last edited by caymandive; 07-12-11 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-12-11, 10:40 AM
djsai
Lexus Test Driver

SIKKY is what I am running and I love it.
Old 07-12-11, 10:43 AM
Bpower
Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by caymandive
To the OP.

Keep in mind rtr01 is the only one whose had such complaints against the SIKKY headers. He modified them and did the install himself which is not recommended. Everyone else who had them professionally installed is enjoying them troublefree.

To answer your question though, I'm currently running stock exhaust with the SIKKY headers. I haven't tried removing the simulator to see what happens, but I'm fairly confident a CEL will still be thrown since the stock exhaust secondary cats are too far back to prevent a code from being triggered.
If I was to buy headers and they came in in such condition then I would return them and shop elsewhere.

They are far back, yes. What I Am thinking is that the headers are coated and don't emit as much heat themselves so the exhaust might not lose its heat temps as much continuing being hot further and in turn activating secondary cats much more canceling out the possible cell.

I just want the o2 sensors and ECU doe the job as intended and reap the benefit of extra power. Can I have a cake and eat it too?

I just saw the photos, for some reason I thought the 2nd sensor was after the second cat but its not so that would answer my question.

Last edited by Bpower; 07-12-11 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-12-11, 10:55 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Everyone else who had them professionally installed is enjoying them troublefree.
Not quite true:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-for-isf.html

Lou
Old 07-12-11, 11:00 AM
Bpower
Driver

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Those look awful similar as the other guys that "machined" his by hand!
Old 07-12-11, 11:12 AM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Why do we even let people still post new threads asking about Sikky headers....I have them I love them, but come on all this info is in like 4,000 different threads...Just saying seems like a waste of data.
Old 07-12-11, 11:27 AM
Bpower
Driver

^^^^^ This wasn't specifically Sikky thread, read above.
Old 07-12-11, 11:44 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Bpower
If I was to buy headers and they came in in such condition then I would return them and shop elsewhere.

They are far back, yes. What I Am thinking is that the headers are coated and don't emit as much heat themselves so the exhaust might not lose its heat temps as much continuing being hot further and in turn activating secondary cats much more canceling out the possible cell.

I just want the o2 sensors and ECU doe the job as intended and reap the benefit of extra power. Can I have a cake and eat it too?
I just saw the photos, for some reason I thought the 2nd sensor was after the second cat but its not so that would answer my question.
You can have your cake and eat it too. LowriderAZ has no o2 simulators and he hasn't received a CEL or at least not yet in his 800 miles. He had some high flow cats welded into his custom exhaust fairly close to his headers. You may have seen it but if not i'm sure he'd be happy to post some info/pics.
Old 07-12-11, 11:48 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^Pics posted.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Sikky headers question...-both-catss.jpg   Sikky headers question...-cat-from-sides.jpg   Sikky headers question...-cat1s.jpg  
Old 07-12-11, 12:03 PM
Bpower
Driver

^^^^ Just got off the phone with PPE and asked them why there is a tube that is attached to the o2 sensor and got an answer that the reading would be too high and thus the tube??? Makes no sense to me to put something there to defeats the purpose of the o2 sensor? The reason the reading would be too high if the extension tube isnt used is that cats used in PPE set up isnt as high efficiency. IMO might as well just go no cats and sim rather than get a messed up reading from a sensor. Please correct me if i am wrong, don't mean to be a ****.

I appreciate all the info and help guys.

Last edited by Bpower; 07-12-11 at 12:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Sikky headers question...