IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

oil level low

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-11, 08:58 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default oil level low

Im about 2 weeks and 2000 miles out from my next scheduled oil change. The warning light came on sunday but I figured it was because I had parked the car on a incline. It just came on again today. I don't have a leak. Do u think I should get an oil change or just add some oil?. Thanks.
Old 06-16-11, 09:02 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Sounds like who ever did your last oil change didn't put enough oil. Nearly 10 quarts is required.
Old 06-16-11, 09:05 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Originally Posted by flipside909
Sounds like who ever did your last oil change didn't put enough oil. Nearly 10 quarts is required.
I always go to the dealer. Gonna have to call them
Old 06-16-11, 09:31 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just check your oil level? The only time I took my car to the dealer they put in 8 qts. I called to let the service manager know that his techs need to be made aware the F requires 10, and put the other 2 in myself. I always double check any service.
Old 06-16-11, 11:59 AM
crazymikie
Driver

Also, if your oil light came on, I wouldn't be driving the car until you figure out what is going on. Usually, those are oil PRESSURE warning lights and if that's low, you could be damaging your motor.
Old 06-16-11, 12:44 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Thx guys. I went ahead and got the oil change. First time this ever happened.
Old 06-16-11, 12:49 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This did not happen over night.

A weekly inspection of the level would have prevented this, or at the very least indicated a massive drop in oil week over week. Only takes a minute to take note of the level.

This is the best practise for keeping the oil level at the full mark on the dip stick, and not half way. Either way no harm and the warning light did its job.
Old 06-16-11, 10:05 PM
lx470man
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why the hell would you take your car to get an oil change? it is so easy, and just a waste of money and time trying to rely on people to do what they are supposed to do. Yea i know if you don't have time to do it yourself, then yea just chuck it up and you will have to deal with it, but i would never let anyone touch my baby, unless i am in a situation where i have no choice.
Old 06-17-11, 04:47 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Originally Posted by lx470man
Why the hell would you take your car to get an oil change? it is so easy, and just a waste of money and time trying to rely on people to do what they are supposed to do. Yea i know if you don't have time to do it yourself, then yea just chuck it up and you will have to deal with it, but i would never let anyone touch my baby, unless i am in a situation where i have no choice.
date of thread 6/16
oil change due date 6/20

That wouldnt make sense to you to just get it done while im there?
Old 06-17-11, 05:34 AM
crazymikie
Driver

Chris- I'm with you.

I'd rather pay the dealer $65 to change the oil than to do it myself. I'm quite capable of doing it, but I value my time. I always make sure to check the level before leaving and have never had a problem.
Old 06-17-11, 08:24 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by lx470man
Because people have choices. Sure I can save myself $30 bucks or so to do it myself, but I take my IS F to the dealer to have a service history that can be recalled by any Lexus dealer in the US. If there is any problem that happens mechanically to my car, I have documented proof my car has been serviced at regular intervals. Some people have trust issues with dealerships because they've had a bad experience or they're simply too cheap. When you become a regular long time customer, the dealer will take care of you in one way or another.

I don't have time to get under the car to get dirty, drain the oil, change the filter, refill it, and then find a place to recycle 10 quarts of old oil. Time is money.
Old 06-17-11, 09:56 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Yeah, that 10 minutes saved is huge. And of course when you get the dealer to change the oil, you never get a UOA to determine what, if anything, is actually going wrong inside your engine. They just assume everything is good because you're there to get an oil change according to a purely arbitrary schedule that has nothing to do with actual need.

I suspect if anyone ever wanted to question my service intervals, I could always just show them my UOA. It would silence anyone, including Lexus, about the quality of maintenance I performed.
Old 06-17-11, 11:03 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

For me, I have chosen to change my own oil (with my pops) because I value that father-son time. Sure, it would be a heck of a lot easier to just to give the keys to the dealer and let a service tech do the change, but then both my dad and I would miss out on the bonding and the conversing about cars and other things. Some people don't want to waste their time doing their own oil changes, and that's perfectly fine. But I have noticed some F owners in my area wanting to change their own oil due to previous altercations with their dealers.
Old 06-17-11, 11:09 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

The average person who changes their own oil is looking to save money plain and simple. Chances are most of those who change their own oil, let alone those who take it to a dealer will pay extra money for a UOA. Most people don't care about how much silicon and boron was left in the oil. Not everyone is a master tech that has the liberty to play with old oil for kicks.
Old 06-17-11, 11:23 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Well I have a great relationship so far with my dealer. I take 3 cars to them now and I have bought 2 cars from them. I drive 20 mins one way to my dealer even though i could go 5 mins to the other dealer. one reason is that I enjoy the drive on the turnpike. Another is, the customer service. My last service adviser at was fired because he had multiple bad customer service surveys. These guys are serious about customer service. I have never seen anything like it. I really do feel like they kiss my ***. Plus the free food, massage chairs, wifi, ipads and pc's are a plus.

Like others have said, I like to have a service trail. Im not mechanically inclined so i wouldn't dare try to change the oil. (I can fix a computer or install da **** out of a stereo). Plus if i have any problems i can call on that record.

Talked to my adviser today. He said that they check the engine out to ensure that it was ok. They put 9.5 quarts of oil in it and had me on my way in about 30 minutes.

Quick Reply: oil level low