IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Silver ISF @ Carmax - Kennsaw,Ga. Anyone know?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-11, 10:06 AM
dmk08
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve727
I had my ISF shipped from car max and they told me the paint was in great condition, and it was fair. They buffed out all the small scratches and had the hood repainted at an authorized Lexus dealer since some rocks chipped the paint. If there is something wrong, Carmax will make it right no questions asked. Lol
haha yep thats what they told me. I went to pull the trigger this morning and now the GM has that car out on demo. Waiting to hear back...
Old 06-14-11, 12:19 PM
Steve727
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dmk08
haha yep thats what they told me. I went to pull the trigger this morning and now the GM has that car out on demo. Waiting to hear back...
Sweet, I hope the car is in the condition u want it to be.
Old 06-14-11, 04:12 PM
dmk08
Intermediate

So after the GM not really giving me the best feeling today and the fact that my wheels for my IS350 actually showed up. I've decided to put some more money away before my birthday and purchase an 11' IS-F instead of an 08'. So it'll be about 6 more months before I join the club! I must have the LED headlamps, LSD, and new shocks.
Old 06-15-11, 12:41 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I definitely wish I would've done more homework before buying mine, like you guys are doing. Hell, you're all forensic detectives when it comes to inspecting cars! I was just so stoked to find one that I could get for $34K in my area that I just jumped on it even though it had documented front end damage on CarFax. I brought it to my body guy who said the entire front end was repaired very well and the paint was perfect, and there didn't appear to be any frame damage. And it was still under the original 50K warranty so I felt comfortable in buying it.

But now here I am 6 weeks later and I'm finding things that I didn't notice at first. The trim around the windows was all painted black but it wasn't done properly and now it's starting to chip/flake and it looks trashy. I even found a few spots where it looks like the dealer probably touched it up to make it look nice. But all the trim will need to be stripped and repainted, so that's going to be a PITA. I have also noticed that there are tons of little body clips missing, like most of the ones inside the wheel wells and under the front bumper, and also most of the clips that hold the plastic covers in place under the hood are missing. And as I was detailing this past weekend I find out that in addition to the front end damage that showed up on CF, the rear bumper was apparently also repainted and it doesn't match the rest of the car very well. I looks fine from afar, but when you get right up to it you can clearly see it's not a match

Lesson learned, I guess. The few things I did notice up front when I bought this one should have been an indicator that there were more issues under the surface. Next time I plan on giving the car a thorough top to bottom inspection over several trips to the dealership, and I'll only buy it if it passes with flying colors.
Old 06-15-11, 05:52 AM
Steve727
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jleonard71
I definitely wish I would've done more homework before buying mine, like you guys are doing. Hell, you're all forensic detectives when it comes to inspecting cars! I was just so stoked to find one that I could get for $34K in my area that I just jumped on it even though it had documented front end damage on CarFax. I brought it to my body guy who said the entire front end was repaired very well and the paint was perfect, and there didn't appear to be any frame damage. And it was still under the original 50K warranty so I felt comfortable in buying it.

But now here I am 6 weeks later and I'm finding things that I didn't notice at first. The trim around the windows was all painted black but it wasn't done properly and now it's starting to chip/flake and it looks trashy. I even found a few spots where it looks like the dealer probably touched it up to make it look nice. But all the trim will need to be stripped and repainted, so that's going to be a PITA. I have also noticed that there are tons of little body clips missing, like most of the ones inside the wheel wells and under the front bumper, and also most of the clips that hold the plastic covers in place under the hood are missing. And as I was detailing this past weekend I find out that in addition to the front end damage that showed up on CF, the rear bumper was apparently also repainted and it doesn't match the rest of the car very well. I looks fine from afar, but when you get right up to it you can clearly see it's not a match

Lesson learned, I guess. The few things I did notice up front when I bought this one should have been an indicator that there were more issues under the surface. Next time I plan on giving the car a thorough top to bottom inspection over several trips to the dealership, and I'll only buy it if it passes with flying colors.
That sucks!! Your first red flag should of been the price along with the car fax telling u of the damage. I know how u feel about being stoked about how low the price was but at least u learned your lesson.
Old 06-15-11, 06:11 AM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I made a very similar mistake when I bought my old IS300... never again. I have purchased 3 cars since then and I have done my due dilligence. Having said that, I still learn something with every car buying experience.
Old 06-15-11, 06:12 AM
dmk08
Intermediate

Indeed! This is why I'm going to wait til I can get a real low mile 2011 or maybe even a new 2012. Not that I'm not going to mod and abuse the car but I want to be the first one to do it!
Old 06-15-11, 09:27 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I still love the car even with those issues. But this was my most expensive car purchase to date and I'm just a little bummed that I am finding all these flaws after I bought it. They're things that are fairly easily fixable, aside from repainting the rear bumper, but it's just an annoyance. And I plan on driving this until it hits 150K+ miles so they shouldn't hurt the resale value as much by the time I'm ready to sell it since it'll be a high mileage vehicle at that point anyways. But it's clear that the previous owner didn't care for it like they should have, although at least it got all the scheduled maintenance done by Lexus (it's all documented in the Lexus service history).

Good luck in your hunt!