IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Looking at IS-f

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-11, 11:06 PM
d1trainee
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at IS-f

Im pondering selling my current vehicles and picking up a F. Whats your favorite year? When should the 2010's start coming off lease? When they do come off lease what can I expect for a fair price, 50k?
Old 06-05-11, 09:33 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2011 has a lot of improvements since the debut 2008 model. The 2011 has faster track times, smoother suspension, updated headlights that include LEDs, and new instrument panel. The 2010 was the first year for the limited slip differential. I like my 2010, but I'd like to be able to trade it in for a 2011. Lexus is doing a good job of the "relentless pursuit of perfection" on the ISF, updating it every year. The later year model you get, I think the happier you will be.

Most people lease for 3 years. So 2010s should show up real well in a couple of years.

A good estimate of paying price would be to go to autotrader.com and look up ISFs, using any year model and any distance. That should give you an idea.
Old 06-06-11, 01:42 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

How does a car ship with faster track times ?
Old 06-06-11, 03:44 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I just got my 2011. I've only put a couple hundred miles on it, but as an owner of both the '08 and '11, my opinion is that the '11 is vastly improved and worth holding out for. In fact, I would even go as far as to say to '08 owners that this is one of the rare instances where upgrading in successive generations is worthwhile. I had no intention of replacing my '08 (and technically I still haven't, since I still own it) but my personal circumstances just happened to make picking up a new one an acceptable option, and I'm very pleasantly surprised by how good the '11 is.

As mentioned previously in this thread, the big differences in IS F evolution are the additions of LSD for MY2010 and the suspension revision along with a couple other tweaks for MY2011. I notice the '11 absorbs bumps much better, especially in the front. The suspension overall feels much closer to how my LFA rides.

Additionally - and I'm surprised I don't hear this in reviews - is that the steering feel has been VASTLY improved (maybe this happened before MY2011?). It is much lighter in the '11, and the variable ratio is implemented quite well, reminding me a lot of the legendary Porsche steering. There is obviously personal preference and subjectiveness involved here, but I much prefer the lighter steering a la Porsche compared to the heavier BMW feel, so this is a huge plus for me.

I'm still getting used to the instrument panel. I am not as keen on that change because I don't think it's as good for daily driving, and to me the IS F must be a daily driver first - no matter its prowess on the track.

The MY2011 the IS F also gets all the other benefits of the IS refresh, so that is a nice plus. I notice for example the ML system is better in the '11 than the '08.
Old 06-06-11, 12:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

OK, this pretty much seals it. Time to find out what is really different on the 2011 suspension...

I'll check into the steering as well. This is the wife's chief complaint about the F - steering is too heavy.
Old 06-06-11, 12:40 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
OK, this pretty much seals it. Time to find out what is really different on the 2011 suspension...

I'll check into the steering as well. This is the wife's chief complaint about the F - steering is too heavy.
Don't get me wrong - the steering feel is still very heavy compared to conventional cars such as other Lexus vehicles. It's just much lighter compared to the '08, which was quite heavy and didn't have as good a variable ratio.
Old 06-06-11, 01:32 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't they use the Tokico HTS shocks in the '11? Not sure if they changed anything else, but I know that's one difference.

You can buy the HTS117 shocks for a fairly reasonable price - Autoanything has them for $744 w/free shipping, and if you search online you can find a 15% off code making the grand total just $632 delivered. Pretty good price to make your suspension similar to the new '11. Plus, they are fully adjustable from super-pillow-soft to rattle-your-fillings-loose-hard.
Old 06-06-11, 02:23 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

^^Lance, do you know anything about this? I love the steering in my 2010, but if the Tokico shocks referenced above will give us 90% or so of the 2011 suspension, it might be worth a shot. Thoughts?
Old 06-06-11, 04:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I want to find out all the differences. It's not that difficult if you have access to EPC - if I had it myself I would have done it awhile ago.

There could be a lot of subtle differences - bushings, links, etc., so I want to get the full details. If the steering feel is as simple as getting an updated steering ECU, it might be worth it. I just don't see me getting the car with the accelerator and brake interlock feature enabled. I'll be in the weeds the first time I left foot brake at the track.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 06-06-11 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-06-11, 05:05 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Don't get me wrong - the steering feel is still very heavy compared to conventional cars such as other Lexus vehicles. It's just much lighter compared to the '08, which was quite heavy and didn't have as good a variable ratio.
nice rides... 2 IS-F's and LFA...
Old 06-06-11, 06:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Default It wasn't as hard as I thought

Here's the full parts list. Bad news - the rear hub carriers are different too. They're a bit pricey. We already know the limited slip diff is different, so you'd want to add it too, but at the end of the day there are lots of other changes (the transmission ECU is revised as well). Partnumbers.txt lets you price these pieces at the online retailers using the multi-parts search function. This isn't exactly a cheap conversion. Anyway, here are the part numbers with the 2010.08 (latest model year) production changes:
Attached Thumbnails Looking at IS-f-suspension-differences-2011-vs.-2008.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: txt
partnumbers.txt (232 Bytes, 182 views)

Last edited by lobuxracer; 06-06-11 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-13-11, 08:21 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by jleonard71
Didn't they use the Tokico HTS shocks in the '11? Not sure if they changed anything else, but I know that's one difference.
No. HTS is an adjustable aftermarket offering which I am the first to try out. Here's my review.

The list is of changes are extensive as Lance mentioned above. The change is not only for 11 IS F, it's througout the IS model range. Revised shocks and bushings, revised springs, revised front spindles are just the main items.
Old 06-13-11, 09:01 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was getting a little excited until I saw that huge parts list.
Old 06-13-11, 10:46 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by flipside909
...The list is of changes are extensive as Lance mentioned above. The change is not only for 11 IS F, it's througout the IS model range. Revised shocks and bushings, revised springs, revised front spindles are just the main items.
Unless you know something magical, there are no new bushings on any of the suspension pieces. If there were, we'd have different part numbers for them and I would have included them in the spreadsheet. I included every item with a new part number for both front and rear suspension - this is the only way to know what actually changed. I've never seen an updated part keep the same part number assigned to a previous version, and if this were true it would present a nightmare for the person managing the parts inventory. Whatever you see in the spreadsheet is what has undoubtedly changed and verified with the best possible source - Lexus parts.

Different front hubs (spindles)? Not true at all, there is no part number change for any of the front hubs across the 2IS line.
Old 06-13-11, 01:12 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Lexus was keen on making a few extra bucks they should just make a package of all the upgraded changes for the 2011 and offer it the 08-10 drivers.

Quick Reply: Looking at IS-f