IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Friend locked my keys in the glove box, help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-11, 07:11 AM
infinus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Friend locked my keys in the glove box, help!

So I'm on day 2 of my road trip around the country and my friend locked my keys and fob in the glovebox while we were driving. So can a locksmith open these locks since it has a non standard key design? Or does Lexus have to do it? Do they have a master key? I'm in the boonies of NM there isn't a Lexus dealer for hundreds of miles.... I also can't get in the trunk because of the switch in the box. We slept in a hotel so we had it locked.....
Old 05-30-11, 08:53 AM
infinus
Lead Lap

I called Lexus of Houston and they are useless they told me I have to break in, I'm on my way to Lexus of San Antonio to get a key made. I thought dealers had sone type of master key? It's $60 for a new key and they are open till midnight according to the guy I spoke to.
Old 05-30-11, 08:55 AM
iffy08
Rookie

Originally Posted by infinus
So I'm on day 2 of my road trip around the country and my friend locked my keys and fob in the glovebox while we were driving. So can a locksmith open these locks since it has a non standard key design? Or does Lexus have to do it? Do they have a master key? I'm in the boonies of NM there isn't a Lexus dealer for hundreds of miles.... I also can't get in the trunk because of the switch in the box. We slept in a hotel so we had it locked.....
Well I think the bright thing is that you can still operate the vehicle. Not sure about the lock, but you should have a friend or family member FedEx overnight your other key to your hotel at your next destination. Good luck, drive safe.
Old 05-30-11, 09:33 AM
infinus
Lead Lap

I thought of that but does fedex run on memorial day? I'm not even sure which hotel we are staying at. The only thing I can think of is I hope we don't get a flat in the meantime since our clothes and spare are locked in the trunk and can't be opened from inside the car because valet mode is enabled.
Old 05-30-11, 09:57 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Step One: ***** Slap your friend in the face.

Sorry to hear this. Breaking in might be the most expensive solution. Getting a key fedex'd the cheapest. Dealer can cut a key to the VIN# of the car.

Good luck. Don't let this ruin your trip.
Old 05-30-11, 10:43 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You also should have the dealer switch "on" or expand the key proximity sensing to the entire car (instead of just the driver area) - this will prevent this from happening again. Its a setting in the C-best options that needs to be turned on. The car will then sense the key from anywhere inside, and you will not be able to lock it...even by accident!

Last edited by digger08; 05-30-11 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-30-11, 01:40 PM
rtr01
Rookie

the trunk release is to the left of the steering wheel beside the fuel door release.....how long have you owned this car?
Old 05-30-11, 01:45 PM
J2K
Pole Position

^^^ The trunk can't be opened from inside the car because the car is in valet mode.
Old 05-30-11, 04:36 PM
DaEvilG
Rookie

Had you not locked the car before going to sleep, you could've simply used a 10mm wrench and a phillips head screwdriver from your toolkit to dismantle the glove box and retreive your key from the plastic housing found behind the glovebox. The plastic housing is the piece used to help change the cabin filter. But this won't help you until you get the doors open now.
Old 05-30-11, 05:00 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

The doors are unlocked and the car can turn on and off just fine. It's only the glovebox with the key inside that we are locked out of. The problem is that since the trunk is in valet mode I can't get to my clothes. I just drove 8 hours to the Lexus dealer just for them to say oh it's an ISF? We have to order that It wont be here till wednesday and it will be $300. Even though on the phone I told him it was an ISF. I'll try to see if I can take it apart the dealer said the only way in was to break it or get a key. If I can't take it apart I'll just drive straight to atlanta where I have relatives and have my spare overnighted there.
Old 05-30-11, 05:24 PM
DaEvilG
Rookie

The doors are unlocked and the car can turn on and off just fine. It's only the glovebox with the key inside that we are locked out of. The problem is that since the trunk is in valet mode I can't get to my clothes. I just drove 8 hours to the Lexus dealer just for them to say oh it's an ISF? We have to order that It wont be here till wednesday and it will be $300. Even though on the phone I told him it was an ISF. I'll try to see if I can take it apart the dealer said the only way in was to break it or get a key. If I can't take it apart I'll just drive straight to atlanta where I have relatives and have my spare overnighted there.
Try to open these to panels, the one to the right of door and the one underneath the knee airbags. I attached a photo. There are 3 10mm bolts you can remove to take the knee airbag panel off, and hopefully you can then access the glovebox. The 3 phillips screws I mentioned are in the glovebox, but you obviously can't access them with the box locked (These 3 screws would finaly allow the glovebox to come out). You can buy the wrench for cheap or you could easily find a wrench from someone else's lexus or toyota if anything.
Attached Thumbnails Friend locked my keys in the glove box, help!-img_0266_800x598.jpg  
Old 05-30-11, 06:47 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

open the middle part in the back seat and try to open the trunk by pulling the release from the inside.
Old 05-30-11, 08:04 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Rip the glove box door off and buy a new one. That's what I would have done after giving the friend a well deserved dope slap.
Old 05-30-11, 08:27 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

its cheaper to go buy a new shirt and some deodorant and drive to your relatives and have your key shipped, instead of having to replace your glove compartment.
Old 05-30-11, 09:24 PM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

I've been following your travels since I first read it on My350Z. I hope your filming your adventures!!!!! Never know you could have some more mishaps and YOU could be living the real Hangover...for real