Water Pump leaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-14, 05:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaper21
Still don't get it :eek:
Dissolve 10g of salt in 100g of water. If you let the water evaporate completely, you still have 10g of salt. As the water evaporates the concentration of the salt in the liquid increases. If you replace the water as it evaporates, you maintain the proper concentration. That's why we add distilled water. The ethylene glycol barely evaporates compared to the water.
Old 11-17-14, 09:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a 2010 and was just cleaning the engine bay and noticed the level right above the low line. I need to go back down and look for leaks where the photos showed but I think if its a 2010 its just evaporation.

Finger and toes crossed
Old 11-18-14, 05:43 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I hope so. My understanding, as also stated above, was only the 08 and 09 models were prone to this problem.
Old 12-08-14, 07:14 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

So I had my water pump replaced 2.5 years ago under warranty on my 2008. I am now 4k miles passed when my extended warranty ran out and the dealer is now telling me the water pump has failed again. They are not the dealer than replaced the original one but are telling me it will cost $660 parts and labor to replace it and that it is really in bad shape and should be done immediately. They can see on my service records it was replaced before by a different dealer but have zero desire to work with me on a price or to submit it to Lexus for consideration to be covered seeing as this will be the second time it has been replaced. Not very happy with Lexus right now on this issue.
Old 12-08-14, 08:31 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by WReuroR
Glad to see this thread cause the dealer I had an oil change at during a trip last week told me my pump was leaking and I needed to get it replaced but they didn't have one instock and I was leaving the next day. Guess I need to look how bad mine is and get it scheduled soon.
Just found my previous post about this on page 2. Ended up having my water pump replaced in July of 2011. I think I am going to open a case with Lexus. I had my car in for an oil change and the typical multipoint inspection 1000 miles before my warranty ran out. I find it hard to believe it is just a coincidence my water pump went bad in 5000 miles since then an 4000 miles after my warranty ran out. If it was so close to failure right now they should have seen something then as well.
Old 12-08-14, 07:40 PM
jw669
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WReuroR
Just found my previous post about this on page 2. Ended up having my water pump replaced in July of 2011. I think I am going to open a case with Lexus. I had my car in for an oil change and the typical multipoint inspection 1000 miles before my warranty ran out. I find it hard to believe it is just a coincidence my water pump went bad in 5000 miles since then an 4000 miles after my warranty ran out. If it was so close to failure right now they should have seen something then as well.
Call corporate directly to file the complaint. They'll likely send you to an authorized dealer to confirm the issue, and place a repair order free of charge.
The dealers are out there to make money, corporate is out there to keep lexus owners happy (and buy more lexus's)
Old 12-16-14, 06:30 AM
Youlege
Driver School Candidate

I took my 2008 IS F in yesterday for an alignment and oil change. They told me there were 2 service campaigns, Fan and Fuel line. No fix for the fuel line yet. While they were doing the fan fix they noticed my water pump leaking and they said that it would be covered under the power-train warranty. My car has 56k miles.
Old 12-16-14, 06:38 AM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Youlege
I took my 2008 IS F in yesterday for an alignment and oil change. They told me there were 2 service campaigns, Fan and Fuel line. No fix for the fuel line yet. While they were doing the fan fix they noticed my water pump leaking and they said that it would be covered under the power-train warranty. My car has 56k miles.
Yep same thing happen to me ****s crazy mines 08 and 54 k miles
Old 12-16-14, 10:05 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the water pump assembly 16100-39506 comes with all the required gaskets?
Old 12-16-14, 09:15 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the updated pumps are not immune to this issue also. I have what are the tell tale signs of water pump leaks in my 2012

My reservoir was at low when the engine was cold. I topped it off and will keep monitoring it. Sucks to find out about this now in the winter
Old 05-02-15, 09:28 AM
stantaur
Driver School Candidate

Default Proactive, courteous instruction with dealer worked out OK for me (whew).

Originally Posted by FNSSESPORT
Well, I got my car in March, just did my first oil change and what do I find?
Looks like another 2008 (66K kms) water pump bites the dust. Thanks to lobuxracer and 9aristo for posting some good replacement info, I'll definitely be doing this myself
Thanks to great pics by FNSSESPORT and advice as always by lobuxracer and RickyCRX, I brought my '09 IS-F in for 4 of the 5 recalls, and SPECIFICALLY cautioned the Service Manager and team at Kuni Lexus of Portland that I did NOT want them to do anything related to the ECU or the pedal modification. (This was based on RickyCRX's nightmare with Lexus of San Antonio wherein they flashed the ECU against his will and wound up buying the car back from him.)

I was really apprehensive about bringing the car in for any dealer work due to that, but with the fuel leak issue I was finally compelled to go meet my service team at Lexus of Portland.

I Gorilla-taped over the ECU / OBD2 port, placed a kindly-worded caution note on the armrest (requesting that if they had anything to do with the ECU, NOT to do it & to please contact the owner first) and made sure the management chain knew why I was being so protective against them de-featuring the car / dumbing it down for the grandpa recall. Also requested they not vacuum the car (fear of ruining that amazing leather smell with some foo foo cleaner/detergent/protectant) or wash it (silicone tire protectant overspray from tires to rotors = contamination) - saves both of us effort / liability.

Lexus of Portland's entire team was quite courteous (Shaun = Svc. Mgr; Steve = SA) and honored these wishes explicitly. They performed the recalls for the fuel pressure sensor, cooling fan bolts, wiper arm and trunk emergency handle. Seems to be OK as they didn't break the harness (no electrical tape, etc.) and the car power-brakes two stripes as God and OS Giken (thanks again to Mike at Figs) intended. :-)

I also referenced this thread re: water pump leaks on '08-'09s and they checked/replaced the pump under my Lexus Platinum extended warranty. The SA gave me 2 phone calls advising of the status / asking if I needed a loaner (I'd declined since I had my Tundra anyway) overnight. There was a little pink fluid on the under-tray that I hosed off when I got home (which I'd infer is leftover from the water pump replacement) so I'm putting some miles on the car today to confirm there no after-work/re-work needed.

All in all, so far so good and for Kuni Lexus of Portland. Talk about nerve-wracking, as the car really endeared itself to us once we got the OSG diff installed (and lightweight battery, 3" Laivins single axle-back exhaust). Hated to mess with perfection by risking a dealer visit, but a lot of courtesy, assertiveness and proactive bozo-proofing just might have delivered a good dealership service experience.
Old 05-02-15, 12:02 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by stantaur
I Gorilla-taped over the ECU / OBD2 port, placed a kindly-worded caution note on the armrest (requesting that if they had anything to do with the ECU, NOT to do it & to please contact the owner first) and made sure the management chain knew why I was being so protective against them de-featuring the car / dumbing it down for the grandpa recall.
What a GREAT Frapping IDEA!!!!!! I'll be going the same thing!!!!!!!!

Lou
Old 10-03-15, 09:30 AM
nickj718
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 44 Posts

Well I joined the club on friday. Im gonna be replacing it myself. Anyone know how much coolant it should take?
Old 10-04-15, 06:31 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by nickj718
Well I joined the club on friday. Im gonna be replacing it myself. Anyone know how much coolant it should take?
A lot. I can't remember exactly, but buy two of the gallon jugs and you will have enough.
-R
Old 10-06-15, 02:07 AM
specie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there only 1 part number now for the ISF water pump for all years?

Quick Reply: Water Pump leaking