Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 03:23 PM
ThisOldNSX
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Found a decent 2011 and about to pull the trigger

I have been searching for a while and I found a decent example:
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/ct...457682490.html

It is nearby, decent price, the upgrades are nice (wanted to do both the exhaust and coils anyway) and it is the color I want.
It has a few rock chips, the wheels have some curb rash, and it will need the 60k mile service soon, which should only require spark plugs getting replaced, but otherwise it is in great shape.

I have done my research and it sounds like 2011 do not suffer from the valley plate leak, tacky dash and other problems that troubled some earlier model years.

Is there anything I need to look out for with these mods? Leaky exhaust? Blown shocks?

Of course I plan on taking it in for a PPI, but is there anything else I should look out for or keep in mind? What might it take to touch up small rock chips and fix the curbed wheels?
Old 01-14-18, 04:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

It is missing two Service Campaigns - the airbag replacement (still available from Lexus) and the cooling fan screw replacement (expired). The bad news on the cooling fan replacement is it often came with a new radiator because the old radiator was too brittle to remove without damage, so many of us ended up with a new radiator when it was all said and done. I would carefully check the fan motor screws. I had loose screws on mine and didn't know it. It got fixed under the Service Campaign, but not before the motor was ruined. I ended up buying a new fan assembly (can't buy the motors or screws separately now) and installing it because the rear bushing on the fan was 1mm oversize from wear.

Other than that, nothing special about this one from TIS.
The following users liked this post:
ThisOldNSX (01-14-18)
Old 01-14-18, 05:12 PM
ThisOldNSX
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It is missing two Service Campaigns - the airbag replacement (still available from Lexus) and the cooling fan screw replacement (expired). The bad news on the cooling fan replacement is it often came with a new radiator because the old radiator was too brittle to remove without damage, so many of us ended up with a new radiator when it was all said and done. I would carefully check the fan motor screws. I had loose screws on mine and didn't know it. It got fixed under the Service Campaign, but not before the motor was ruined. I ended up buying a new fan assembly (can't buy the motors or screws separately now) and installing it because the rear bushing on the fan was 1mm oversize from wear.

I will look for that during the PPI. Sounds like it costs about 800ish to fix?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...eak-photo.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...in-08-isf.html
Old 01-14-18, 05:39 PM
s2kjer
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The Valley plate is on every year... I just had to deal with it on my 2012.
Check the coolant level and make sure its not leaking any alongside the transmission or back of engine.
Old 01-14-18, 05:54 PM
Fadeaway
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not bad at all man, I say pull the trigger! I bought mine private party in Plano, TX and I paid significantly less than Blue Book. Dealerships really try to stick it ot you. The one I bought had 55k miles but it was single owner and well maintained.

Also as an FYI: Park Place no longer does pre-purchase inspections in case you wanted to get it done at a Lexus dealer. I was kind of bummed out about that since they were the closest to me.

Best of luck!
ThisOldNSX (01-15-18)
Old 01-14-18, 06:01 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

My 2011 has had the valley plate leak repaired

The marks from old coolant on the back of the engine and transmission when it was leaking are still visible
Old 01-15-18, 07:38 AM
ThisOldNSX
Driver

I only find the airbag recall when using the vin.
I have not come across the cooling fan screw recall anywhere. Is that just because it is expired?

NM, I found this:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...y-plate-2.html

Last edited by ThisOldNSX; 01-15-18 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-15-18, 03:25 PM
graphX250
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Not to sound dumb, but what is TIS ?
Old 01-15-18, 05:10 PM
ThisOldNSX
Driver

Please pardon the "philosophical" nature of this post. I was talking to a friend about this particular car and he pointed out that there are quite a few options in the $35k price range. I lean toward the ISF for the reliability, exclusivity, It's looks and the engine. An M3 would be alright, but I have a hard time trusting its reliability, same with an Audi and Merc. A CTS-V would be alright, but it's GM and its not as reliable, plus the looks don't quite do it for me. There are Porsches and even the 2018 mustang for a similar price. The mustang is pretty tempting, but it will depreciate pretty quick. Everyone and their mother owns one.

There are some cars I should probably try before I buy an ISF, but I can't think of much that checks all the same boxes. Does anyone regret their purchase? If you could do it again, what would you look at?
Old 01-15-18, 05:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by graphX250
Not to sound dumb, but what is TIS ?
techinfo.toyota.com. It's the same resource the dealer uses to service your vehicle. I pay an annual subscription for it and have access to everything include reflashes, but you can get shorter ones if you just want the service manual information. They all include the ability to see when the vehicle was originally placed in service, what the original configuration was when it was first sold (FIO and PIO, not DIO) and see what service campaigns have been completed (or not). It is truly a wealth of information.
Old 01-15-18, 05:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by ThisOldNSX
...Does anyone regret their purchase? If you could do it again, what would you look at?
I recently had to think about this, and I couldn't find something I really wanted to buy that fit all the necessary parameters - four doors, reasonable power, better than average reliability, fun to drive even on a track day, able to embarrass lots of "sports" cars with ease, and fit two child car seats in the back.

Not sure what your key requirements are, but for me, there really isn't anything else in this space. The only thing I wish the car was and isn't is 300 pounds lighter.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
lorenr (01-16-18), ThisOldNSX (01-15-18)
Old 01-15-18, 06:31 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

No regrets. Absolutely love the car and love to drive it. And its nice to own something rare that you dont see every day
ThisOldNSX (01-15-18)
Old 01-15-18, 06:44 PM
ThisOldNSX
Driver

I recently had to think about this, and I couldn't find something I really wanted to buy that fit all the necessary parameters - four doors, reasonable power, better than average reliability, fun to drive even on a track day, able to embarrass lots of "sports" cars with ease, and fit two child car seats in the back.

Not sure what your key requirements are, but for me, there really isn't anything else in this space. The only thing I wish the car was and isn't is 300 pounds lighter.
I have been driving an S2000 for nearly 7 years, also have an NSX for the past 2.5 years. Time for a fun, powerful four door v8 that is also kinda rare and reliable. I like cars that feel a bit special and I don't think the ISF competition really fits that.
Old 01-15-18, 08:32 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by BlckGhst
No regrets. Absolutely love the car and love to drive it. And its nice to own something rare that you dont see every day
^^^^all of that, lol!

V.
Old 01-16-18, 06:27 AM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Owner of a 1991 NSX and my 2011 IS-F has been my daily since 2014. Absolutely love it and it's been perfectly reliable. Like lobuxracer said, it would be nearly perfect if a bit lighter.