IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Stealership 30,000mi service

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-11, 08:04 AM
rhy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought I'd chime in again. Wifey's Prius was due for its 30k so I went to a local Toyota dealer yesterday morning (solid dealer, had great experiences with them before).

They quoted $450 for the 30k. I brought my own oil, told them not to touch the air filters as they're 5k old and I change them myself, also not to rotate the tires.

They changed the oil and performed a multi point inspection -- tire wear, brake wear (front + rear), all fluids, all lights, fuel tank gasket, battery, various hoses, radiator, CV boots, steering linkage, suspension, exhaust, fuel lines.

Total out the door = $26.

The local Lexus dealer charges $60 for an oil change with my oil. They wash the car, but that's usually not a good thing.

So, for simple things like an oil change and visual checks, you can consider a Toyota dealer if there's a good one around.
Old 05-08-11, 10:10 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Service

Originally Posted by dsg03svt
Not sure I agree with you. Each dealership is different. Granted I could save a few dollars doing the work myself, there is value in one's time and the fact that your car's service is documented as being performed by a professional Lexus mechanic, when you decide to sell the car.

The number one thing is to verify you are getting a reasonable deal and not being overcharged like the OP was about to be...
My point was you can do 90 percent of the work yourself. Any kind of fluid change should be done at the dealer. Just because of the hazardous waste. And inspections should be done by a certified mechanic.

But why pay three hundred dollars for someone to change your engine, cabin air filters and windshield wipers?

If you want someone to do it for you. Great. Also for me I prefer to pay 80 dollars to the Toyota Dealer for an oil change. Not 300 to the Lexus Dealer.

But hey, thats just me.
Old 05-09-11, 10:37 AM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bring my Mobil 1 oil and OEM filter to the dealer and they charge me $38 OTD to change the oil. Typically I do all of my own maintenance, but for $38 and not having to recycle 10 qts of oil on my own every time + they give me a loaner and clean the car it's worth it to me.

This is a brand new dealership that just opened less than a year ago. I also have a good relation now with a service adviser and he is very willing to meet my requests such as doing an alignment to certain spec range. And yes, it's also worth it to have the oil changes documented with the dealer IMO.

Also a good thing about doing service and having a good relationship with the same adviser is if I have any warranty issues come up, he'll take care of it and/or be more lenient to replace/fix things under warranty.

My brake pads are about shot at 22k miles (about to hit the wear indicators) and I'll be doing that myself + flushing the brake fluid.

Just my $.02.
Old 05-09-11, 10:55 AM
jbeatty
Driver School Candidate

I'm so glad I checked this board. Went to my local Dealership today and they wanted $695. Instead, did Oil change and engine air filter for $193. I'm sure I threw money away on the air filter but just too busy to track it down.
Old 05-09-11, 12:17 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MC5Wes
My point was you can do 90 percent of the work yourself. Any kind of fluid change should be done at the dealer. Just because of the hazardous waste. And inspections should be done by a certified mechanic.

But why pay three hundred dollars for someone to change your engine, cabin air filters and windshield wipers?

If you want someone to do it for you. Great. Also for me I prefer to pay 80 dollars to the Toyota Dealer for an oil change. Not 300 to the Lexus Dealer.

But hey, thats just me.
You can get oil changes on an F done at a Toyota dealer? Didn't know that...
Old 05-09-11, 02:03 PM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

has anyone bought the service tickets when getting the car? is it worth it. I was offered these and I said no.
Old 05-12-11, 01:29 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil Change

You can take your car anywhere and get the oil changed. Lexus, Toyota or Walmart.

I have all of my work done on my RX that I dont do myself. Done at the local Toyota dealer.

Has anyone taken the Lexus to a Toyota dealer. And they told them they cant work on it?
Old 05-12-11, 06:23 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MC5Wes
You can take your car anywhere and get the oil changed. Lexus, Toyota or Walmart.

I have all of my work done on my RX that I dont do myself. Done at the local Toyota dealer.

Has anyone taken the Lexus to a Toyota dealer. And they told them they cant work on it?
toyota will work on any lexus (as they have access to all it's repair manuals and can access the cars computer) they only thing toyota will not do for lexus vehicles is any recalls or warranty work
Old 05-31-11, 06:18 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I bought my car in December of '08 and I still haven't changed my wiper blades. They work perfectly. But I also use Rain-X to minimize how much I use them.

ATF change? No. Level check and top off if necessary, and that's pretty unlikely at 30k with no extended track use. There is no change interval specified for any WS fluid by Lexus/Toyota/Scion.

Differential? Not at 30k.

Brake fluid? Yes.

Oil change? Sure if you're following the recommend intervals.

Cabin filter? Whenever you feel like it - it takes all of five minutes to change yourself.

Engine air filter? Probably. It can't hurt to change it, but changing it yourself isn't rocket science.
If you were to keep the car LITERALLY FOREVER, would you suggest preventive maint and replacing the diff fluid and topping off AT fluid?

What other things would be required in order to OVER maintain the car?
Old 05-31-11, 10:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

I have no plans to sell my F any time soon and I plan to spend more time on the track with it. I still have my '93 Supra I bought in '97.

Given this, the only thing I plan to do is change the diff oil at 50k miles and take a sample of the ATF for Blackstone to analyze. The results of their analysis will drive the OCI for the gearbox.
Old 06-01-11, 03:39 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Too late mate, I am already getting the rear diff, transmission, brake fluid done
I think a few other things, under 700$ after taxes

I need to order front and rear pads and rotors, what would you suggest? I had those... I think Streetmax or whatever that was super cheap a few years ago, I know lots of things have changed since then, but a lot of the searching I've done brings up more track oriented or temp setups or bbks

Lobux your advice is always appreciated, I love reading your posts
Old 06-01-11, 03:58 PM
kickhard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISFSteve
Just another example where you have to watch the Dealership very closely. It almost seems like these guys are running on commission and hope people don't question anything. Absurd! Fortunately people on this forum ask questions and help each other out. I would hate to see what all would be going on out there if it were not for great people here.
LOL actually they are on commission.
Old 06-01-11, 05:11 PM
PNY
Rookie

So here was the breakdown of the Desert Lexus 30K service. They are located in Cathedral City, CA. They are the only Lexus dealership within 50 miles of my home.

30,000 Mile Type "3" Service:

Change Engine Oil and Oil Filter
Add Fuel Injection Cleaner to Fuel System
Drain and Re-Fill Transmission Fluid
Replace Differential Fluid
Replace Engine Coolant
Replace Air Conditioner Filter
Replace Windshield Wipers
Replace Engine Air Filter
Rotate and Balance Tires
Inspect Brakes
Inspect Tires
Inspect and Adjust Tire Pressure (Sure they didn't use Nitrogen to adjust even though I have the right valve stem caps on)
Inspect Wheels for Damage
Load Test Battery and Report
Inspect and Adjust all Fluid Levels
Inspect lights for Operation
Test Drive

Parts 226.11
Gas-Oil-Grease 59.56
Hazardous Waste Change 6.33
Labor 591.95
Tax 27.85

Total: 911.8

I asked the service advisor why it was so much more than anywhere else and he said it's because they do additional work because of the heat the cars go through in the Desert. He said if I can find a Lexus that does it cheaper he would match it. Terrible service if I have to do work IMO.
Old 06-01-11, 05:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by PNY
So here was the breakdown of the Desert Lexus 30K service. They are located in Cathedral City, CA. They are the only Lexus dealership within 50 miles of my home.

30,000 Mile Type "3" Service:

Change Engine Oil and Oil Filter
Add Fuel Injection Cleaner to Fuel System
Drain and Re-Fill Transmission Fluid
Replace Differential Fluid
Replace Engine Coolant
Replace Air Conditioner Filter
Replace Windshield Wipers
Replace Engine Air Filter
Rotate and Balance Tires
Inspect Brakes
Inspect Tires
Inspect and Adjust Tire Pressure (Sure they didn't use Nitrogen to adjust even though I have the right valve stem caps on)
Inspect Wheels for Damage
Load Test Battery and Report
Inspect and Adjust all Fluid Levels
Inspect lights for Operation
Test Drive

Parts 226.11
Gas-Oil-Grease 59.56
Hazardous Waste Change 6.33
Labor 591.95
Tax 27.85

Total: 911.8

I asked the service advisor why it was so much more than anywhere else and he said it's because they do additional work because of the heat the cars go through in the Desert. He said if I can find a Lexus that does it cheaper he would match it. Terrible service if I have to do work IMO.
Gas-Oil-Grease $59.56? Not a chance if they're actually draining the WS from the gearbox and replacing it. Your SA doesn't know jack about an IS-F.
Old 06-01-11, 07:16 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Rotate Tires The tires are corner specific on our cars, unless you have a 2010 or later. Make sure they didn't put the wheels on the wrong position

Oh, those guys are pure robbers!!!!!!

Lou

Quick Reply: Stealership 30,000mi service