Borla full catback review: clearing up misconceptions

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-12, 06:18 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotspd2
By changing gears?
Yea, upshifting would do it. Simply cruising in auto and being light on the throttle seems to keep the sound down to an acceptable level.
Old 09-12-12, 12:10 PM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked up a "used" Borla Exhaust on Amazon for $780 shipped...at these prices I might as well give it a try. Excited to see if it gives the car the added growl w/o droning on the freeway
Old 09-12-12, 01:09 PM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

^^^^congrats daniel. I too just picked up a used one and will be intstalling it next tuesday!
Old 09-12-12, 01:18 PM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EGI IS350
^^^^congrats daniel. I too just picked up a used one and will be intstalling it next tuesday!
Congrats to you as well...hopefully the borla meets or exceeds our expectations. What are you hoping for from the Borla? I'm personally looking for slightly more growl, little to no drone, and 20-30whp
Old 09-12-12, 01:45 PM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

About the same as you listed. After reading all the exhaust threads it seems the borla still puts down the power and seems to have little or no drone, so that is a huge plus. I was going to do the secondary cat and muffler delete but opted for this instead.

Cheers
Old 09-12-12, 05:47 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by daniel3ooo
Congrats to you as well...hopefully the borla meets or exceeds our expectations. What are you hoping for from the Borla? I'm personally looking for slightly more growl, little to no drone, and 20-30whp
You'll get the power, but don't expect it to be quiet. The exhaust is not quiet, but it is comfortable enough to drive daily and it does not drone on the highway even with headers. I've seen some folks get the Borla exhaust under the impression that's it's a little louder than stock only to be disappointed. With that being said, the Borla is quieter and more comfortable to drive than many if not all the other full exhaust options including the JoeZ, the race version of the ISS Forged exhaust and modified OEM (muffler/cat delete) exhaust setups. I haven't personally heard or driven others, but I'm truly happy with the sound and power of the Borla and I'm pretty picky.
Old 09-14-12, 04:59 PM
stick
Pole Position

Anyone ever have issues with the v-band clamps loosening?
Old 09-15-12, 06:42 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

I just ordered this. I hope its not too loud but Im sure compared to my four inch no cats no resonator on my turbo IS it cant be. lol
Old 09-15-12, 07:48 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stick
Anyone ever have issues with the v-band clamps loosening?
No issue so far for me. Maybe you need to crank them tighter? If that doesn't help maybe some blue or green loctite will help.

Originally Posted by Gearbangin
I just ordered this. I hope its not too loud but Im sure compared to my four inch no cats no resonator on my turbo IS it cant be. lol
Like Caymandiver said, it's the quietest full exhaust you'll get. I too have a full 4 inch on my 2JZ and it's a totally different sound and not nearly as loud.
Old 09-15-12, 09:06 AM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Im getting ready to switch to borla. I cant stand the drone on my Joe Z no more when I put the PPE headers.
Old 09-20-12, 10:54 PM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

Just installed my borla last week. Sounds GREAT. I bought the exhaust used from amazon for $790 shipped next day. When it can it literally looked brand new. There is no drone on the freeway at normal cruising speeds around 70-80 mph. "drones" slightly when driving in the city since you see 2k rpm often. But if you can stand that, then you probably souldnt be installing a catback exhaust at all.

For comparison, I had an e93 m3 with an rpi gym exhaust and it droned like crazy. The interior would buzz when I drove. I'm sensitive to drone and I'm happy with this borla so that says a lot about this exhaust. I had my gf drive the car up and down the block so I could here how it sounds and it sounds great!

The added power can definitely be felt and the car seems to breathe better now. Some say the sound of the Joez is better but at the end of the day it's all subjective. What we do know is that both the borla and Joez add nearly the same amount of power. I saved about 600$ compared to the only Joez exhaust I found for sale locally. That made the decision easy for me.
Old 09-21-12, 07:14 AM
kteng7
Driver

^^^^^ Congraz!! I'm thinking to get borla over Joez now.
Old 09-21-12, 08:39 AM
streetspee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daniel3ooo
Just installed my borla last week. Sounds GREAT. I bought the exhaust used from amazon for $790 shipped next day. When it can it literally looked brand new. There is no drone on the freeway at normal cruising speeds around 70-80 mph. "drones" slightly when driving in the city since you see 2k rpm often. But if you can stand that, then you probably souldnt be installing a catback exhaust at all.

For comparison, I had an e93 m3 with an rpi gym exhaust and it droned like crazy. The interior would buzz when I drove. I'm sensitive to drone and I'm happy with this borla so that says a lot about this exhaust. I had my gf drive the car up and down the block so I could here how it sounds and it sounds great!

The added power can definitely be felt and the car seems to breathe better now. Some say the sound of the Joez is better but at the end of the day it's all subjective. What we do know is that both the borla and Joez add nearly the same amount of power. I saved about 600$ compared to the only Joez exhaust I found for sale locally. That made the decision easy for me.
to another daniel with another isf with another borla exhaust ! i picked mine up locally here in chicago as well for about 700 a few months ago and have been very happy. the clamps hold up very well over time and haven't loosened. did your o2 sensors come out of the factory exhaust easily without stripping?
Old 10-04-12, 09:19 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've jumped on the bandwagon today! One of my O2 sensors stripped - but I ended up replacing both with brand new ones anyways. Loving the new found power. It does drone a little under 2000 rpm, but to my ears, it's fine and it's actually music to my ears. I do notice I lose traction just little easier now. Next up... PPE headers and coilovers!!!
Old 10-05-12, 05:35 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
I've jumped on the bandwagon today! One of my O2 sensors stripped - but I ended up replacing both with brand new ones anyways. Loving the new found power. It does drone a little under 2000 rpm, but to my ears, it's fine and it's actually music to my ears. I do notice I lose traction just little easier now. Next up... PPE headers and coilovers!!!
Congrats on the performance upgrades and it's about time! You have the recipe for an 11 second N/A car with the power adders and the weight reduction you've done. Don't disappoint!

As for the slight drone you mentioned it will be better when you get the headers installed. From what I've noticed the Borla axle-back has an annoying drone while adding little sound, the Borla cat-back is much better, but as you mentioned does still have a little drone, but when headers are added it's much better. Call it crazy, but it's true! Though the car will be noticiably louder with the headers added, the slight drone is pretty much eliminated as what you'll get is more of a deep pulsing sound that really is music to the ears and doesn't bother a bit. Curious to what you think once you have the headers installed.

Quick Reply: Borla full catback review: clearing up misconceptions