IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Borla full catback review: clearing up misconceptions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-12, 08:24 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well my current set up is PPE mixed with some Joe-z. Man this set up is loud for virginia. No cats and the gas smell has me worried about cops. If i did not have to worry about cops i would run this set up all day long. It sounds so beastly. Car is for sure faster than stock.

VBB can attest to this. He can also tell you how loud it is.

So I want to add cats back to my car so I think i am going to stick with the factory mid pipe. I talked to the guys over at PPE and they said I would only lose around 3whp with stock mid pipe. I am 100% fine with that. So i am thinking about the borla cat back. I don't want to weld into my joe-z in my opinion thats ruining the exhaust. I would rather sell it someone thats going to keep it the way its meant to be.
Old 08-23-12, 10:24 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^Assuming you mean Borla Axle Back That's certainly a way to go. The factory secondary cats, are not HiFlows, but they probably flow pretty good. IMO, you would lose more than 3HP, but what do I know But, as you know I'm extremely happy with my catted Fabricated dual system that utilizes modified stock mufflers.

Lou
Old 08-23-12, 11:05 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jleonard71
Summit Racing's website says the Borla is 2.25", but everywhere else says 2.5". And the Joe-Z is definitely 2.5".
Originally Posted by caymandive
They are both 2.5"
Cheers guys!

I seen it advertised as 2.25" on another website, but I also had a look at the installation PDF and it shows it used 2.5" clamps, hence the confusion.

Seems like a great choice, I'll take a closer look at this one for sure. I want to retain the stock tips, and have no drone. I looked at the HKS set up, but it's way too expensive, and too restrictive if I was going to make the effort of changing the exhaust out.
Old 08-24-12, 06:10 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by zapa
Well my current set up is PPE mixed with some Joe-z. Man this set up is loud for virginia. No cats and the gas smell has me worried about cops. If i did not have to worry about cops i would run this set up all day long. It sounds so beastly. Car is for sure faster than stock.

So I want to add cats back to my car so I think i am going to stick with the factory mid pipe. I talked to the guys over at PPE and they said I would only lose around 3whp with stock mid pipe. I am 100% fine with that. So i am thinking about the borla cat back. I don't want to weld into my joe-z in my opinion thats ruining the exhaust. I would rather sell it someone thats going to keep it the way its meant to be.
The JoeZ/PPE combo is not for those who want their car to sound anything at all like a Lexus, that's for sure. It has a fantastic muscle car sounding growl, and is insane at WOT, but for someone like me, who occasionally carts around coworkers and even clients, it would be way too obnoxious.
Old 08-24-12, 06:41 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^Assuming you mean Borla Axle Back That's certainly a way to go. The factory secondary cats, are not HiFlows, but they probably flow pretty good. IMO, you would lose more than 3HP, but what do I know But, as you know I'm extremely happy with my catted Fabricated dual system that utilizes modified stock mufflers.

Lou
Lou i get confused on which borla exhaust is what. So the axle back keeps the factory mid pipe. Also this is what i was told by Eric,I believe thats his name, at PPE. He said since they are 5inch instead of 4inch like the ones they sell they flow better. I have no evidence to back this up at all but it is what i am told.

Im just the messenger.
Old 08-24-12, 01:44 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

I just went from a Borla axle-back to a JoeZ cat-back. That's not a fair comparison by any means and I realize this is a Borla cat-back thread but the axle-back has been brought up a few times so I'll chime in.

The JoeZ is louder than I expected it to be and possibly the loudest car I've had yet (and I've had some heavily modded Evos) but I absolutely love it. Man, it sounds great. No complaints from me about it at all yet. I can absolutely feel the difference (power and in-car sound/feel). The JoeZ feels like the exhaust spans the entire car whereas the axle-back felt like someone just turned up the volume. The Borla may deepen the sound a bit but it sounds better outside of the car than in (which is why I moved on). It also "droned" (everyone defines this differently though).

I'm trying to find some pics of the axle-back on this machine because it's not identical to the rear section the OP posted pics of. And I've heard from several people now that the Borla cat-back sounds awesome. So don't consider the axle-back a "light" version of the full cat-back...it shares mufflers but I think the midpipe is what helps alleviate drone issues.

For me I don't think the JoeZ has any drone. It has volume under load but when just chilling it doesn't drone in my opinion, hwy or city. The Borla axle-back has a boomy-ness to it if you're in too high of a gear under load. So that may give you some indication on how it compares to the JoeZ.

I discussed that a bit with Cayman (comparing the Borla cat-back to the axle-back) and we both seemed to agree that the mid-pipe really cuts out the drone issue with Borla's product. The stock mid-pipe with the axle-back isn't an optimal setup. It's not terrible, but I didn't like it. I would really like to hear the cat-back in person because I believe it's a totally different animal compared to the axle-back.

Lou i get confused on which borla exhaust is what. So the axle back keeps the factory mid pipe.
Yes. The axle-back replaces just the single rear y-pipe piece that goes from roughly the rear axle to, and including, the mufflers. The cat-back is nearly the length of the car from the headers all the way back, and it removes 2 cats which is majority of the reason there are performance gains. The price difference is around $700 vs $1k. Besides attractive price, the axle-back retains the stock cats so smogging isn't an issue, plus install is a piece of cake.
Old 08-24-12, 04:49 PM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I think that what Eric was trying to say is that the stock cats flow well and only loose an estimated 3-4 whp vs an aftermarket midpipe with no cats. A full dual exhaust will make more power than a stock or aftermarket midpipe and axle-back.

If you are going to use an axle back, we recommend keeping the stock midpipe as it is not a big difference in power vs. a catless midpipe and sounds better, in my oppinion.

-Paul

Old 08-24-12, 07:47 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PPEHeaders
I think that what Eric was trying to say is that the stock cats flow well and only loose an estimated 3-4 whp vs an aftermarket midpipe with no cats. A full dual exhaust will make more power than a stock or aftermarket midpipe and axle-back.

If you are going to use an axle back, we recommend keeping the stock midpipe as it is not a big difference in power vs. a catless midpipe and sounds better, in my oppinion.

-Paul
Thats exactly what i was trying to say. You just worded it a lot clearer than i did. Thank you
Old 08-25-12, 04:28 AM
Gotspd2
Driver School Candidate

Wow! I ordered the Borla from streetside auto on Wednesday at 5pm and when I got home from vacation late last night, it was already sitting at my house! That's remarkable turn around time (esp considering shipping was free)!
Old 08-25-12, 05:34 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotspd2
Wow! I ordered the Borla from streetside auto on Wednesday at 5pm and when I got home from vacation late last night, it was already sitting at my house! That's remarkable turn around time (esp considering shipping was free)!
I agree! I ordered mine on Monday afternoon and I got it on Wednesday. Since they are located in KS it's only 2-3 days transit time to anywhere in the country, and they get it out quick!!

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 08-25-12, 10:20 PM
Gotspd2
Driver School Candidate

Just installed the Borla (cat-back). Sounds good and I think it is made very well. Easy to see how it improves upon the stock exhaust. Downsides are that it has far more drone than I was expecting. All in all, it's an improvement but time will tell whether the drone is going to be an issue. I had a Borla on my srt8 jeep and got rid of it because of the drone. I did take my kids for a ride and they didn't have any issues at all with the sound. In fact, my daughter (7) said she thought it sounded great!
Old 08-25-12, 10:46 PM
JBFGS300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the car in snow mode at slow speeds it will quiet it down a lot. As for drone I didn't experience that it was louder but at cruise one in top gears was as quiet as stock for me just about.
Justin.
Old 08-26-12, 10:44 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed the full Borla exhaust with PPE headers last week and I am very happy with this setup. My goal was to make power and compliment the headers without being any louder then neeeded. The original plan was to moddify the stock exhaust in a similar way to what Lou had done with his. My girlfriend bought me the Borla as a gift and I surely wasn't saying no to it but I was a bit concerned about the volume.
The fittment was perfect and I had no issue with the diffusers touching and as caymandiver stated that is an installer related issue. I can see how the the clamps could be a downside for some but I actually like the idea since I weld. It gives you the opertunity to reposition the exhaust sections untill you have the right fit and then the option to weld some or all of the sections together or even tack weld them to keep the positioning. I painted the tips and back side of the mufflers flat black so it has the same stock appearance which was also important to me.
The sound is also perfect IMO. You can control the sound very easly if you want to keep it quite. At low RPMs it has a nice low muscle car rumble that won't wake the neighborhood and in 8th gear on the highway it is vey quite.
On the throttle it is loud but it is not the loudest exhaust in the world and gives a nice clean roar. I also don't feel like it drones and I imagined that the headers would have made it louder then it is.
I haven't been back to the Dyno yet but I will be going next chance I get. Either way there are already Dyno results here that show that this exhaust system performs.
Old 08-26-12, 11:51 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear your feedback, RCB! I too wanted to get headers and an exhaust that added power and sounded more aggressive, but didn't want an obnoxiously loud setup like the JoeZ and ISS Track exhaust are known for when paired with headers. I was also initally going to do a custom exhaust similar to what Lou did, but then I saw another member who had posted a video with headers and the Borla and I really liked the way it sounded. And then I saw that the Borla on sale for just over $900 and I was sold. I have the exhaust sitting in my garage and I should be getting my headers in about 3 weeks. Looking forward to getting them both installed!!
Old 08-26-12, 06:01 PM
Gotspd2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RCB
You can control the sound very easly if you want to keep it quiet.
By changing gears?

Quick Reply: Borla full catback review: clearing up misconceptions