IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Borla full catback review: clearing up misconceptions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-11, 09:42 AM
MINO
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
All I will say is your findings are not the NORM - Borla drones quite a bit and is unbelievably loud! My friend bought this for his IS-F and sold it 2 days later. He told me it was just too loud for his kids in the back seat.

rick
LOL. To me the Borla Cat back wasn't loud enough. Plus, I never liked the sharp 90° bends to the muffler (on both the Borla and JoeZ). So I removed the mufflers and had softer angled pipe put in.
However, to keep the lady happy and avoid the eye of the police, I put electronic valves inline as sound suppressors.
Old 08-22-12, 06:38 AM
Gotspd2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
agree wholeheartedly, which is why I too went Borla True Dual exhaust... JoeZ & ISS are nice quality pieces as well... if you are going Borla... order from 21st Century in Florida... they are some 30% cheaper than anywhere else, and had in stock when I purchased mine last year.

Couldn't be happier a year later... have to use BlueTooth, and pick up clients from Airport every now and then.
Pulling up an old thread. Googled 21st century but didn't come up with a link. Do you have contact info?
Old 08-22-12, 06:47 AM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

gotspd:

i saw this on an earlier thread about the borla :

FYI - the Borla Catback Exhaust just came back in stock at StreetsideAuto.com for $1005.99 - $75 coupon code AFQ21275 = $930.99 delivered! Best price you will find anywhere. I think the coupon is good through 8/31, but when I called and ordered mine they said they only got a few of these in stock and they'll probably go quick at that price.
Old 08-22-12, 08:55 AM
JBFGS300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the full borla and have had zero zero drone before headers and after. I have driven both joe z exhaust cars without cats and ISS who is local, to me they are both for sure louder, more cosmetically pleasing, and have some drone. If you want quiet and all the same performance if not more and a reasonable price 33-70% cheaper then get borla. But if you plan on laying under your car viewing and polishing your exhaust the other options are for you. As for me numbers are numbers fastest ISF NA runs borla, and appears the same Sikky, Borla as only mods dynod well for me as well at 413rwhp.
The following users liked this post:
2014acISF (06-13-20)
Old 08-22-12, 09:07 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had nothing but excellent comments on my JoeZ - the power, sound, looks, is all there in one complete package! Its hard to describe "sound" but the Borla exhaust didnt do it for me.
Old 08-22-12, 09:43 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
I have had nothing but excellent comments on my JoeZ - the power, sound, looks, is all there in one complete package! Its hard to describe "sound" but the Borla exhaust didnt do it for me.
You're preaching to the choir, the borla guys in this thread never questioned the power, quality, sound, or looks of the JoeZ or the ISS.

As for the Borla sound "not do it for you", their argument was to find an exhaust sound less intrusive than the JoeZ or ISS.
Old 08-22-12, 09:47 AM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

Bk
Originally Posted by JBFGS300
I have the full borla and have had zero zero drone before headers and after. I have driven both joe z exhaust cars without cats and ISS who is local, to me they are both for sure louder, more cosmetically pleasing, and have some drone. If you want quiet and all the same performance if not more and a reasonable price 33-70% cheaper then get borla. But if you plan on laying under your car viewing and polishing your exhaust the other options are for you. As for me numbers are numbers fastest ISF NA runs borla, and appears the same Sikky, Borla as only mods dynod well for me as well at 413rwhp.
Plus 1. I had both systems. To be honest sound/noise is a personal preference. Joe Z is one of the best sounding exhausts for the f however Borla to me was more suitable dd with headers.
Old 08-22-12, 10:20 AM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

I'm torn between the two...i've sat in a Joez ISF before and it sounded great but we only took it around the block.

There seem to have been no issues with the quality of the Joez and the only gripe is that it may drone to SOME.

The price of the Borla is very enticing esp with the discount that is being offered right now. The Borla on the other hand has had a few fitment issues (hitting the diffuser) and the quality is not quite on par with the JoeZ.

I am not a fan of drone but have heard that the JoeZ does and doesnt have drone. At one time I had a GTR with a midpipe and that sounded awesome. Has anyone who has a borla/joez ISF sat or owned a GTR with some exhaust work before? Can you compare?
Old 08-22-12, 10:27 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

If you want an unbiased opinion of the JoeZ, I have the stock exhaust but have ridden in a JoeZ equipped IS-F both at city driving speeds, highway cruising speeds and WOT. In my opinion, the JoeZ sounds great at startup, has a quiet grumble at highway cruising speeds, and sounds fantastic at WOT. There IS a slight drone at the lower rpms during city driving though. It isn't so loud that you can't carry on a conversation or use your bluetooth, but it is definitely louder than stock, and may be a bit much for non car enthusiasts. Like the OP, I occasionally have clients or coworkers in my car and it is during those times where I want my Lexus to be more Lexus-like and less V8 muscle car. Those times are few and far between mind you, but I have to consider them. I don't think I could ever get headers for this reason, and I probably would get something just a little quieter than the JoeZ if I upgrade my exhaust at all.
Old 08-22-12, 10:40 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by daniel3ooo
I'm torn between the two...i've sat in a Joez ISF before and it sounded great but we only took it around the block.

There seem to have been no issues with the quality of the Joez and the only gripe is that it may drone to SOME.

The price of the Borla is very enticing esp with the discount that is being offered right now. The Borla on the other hand has had a few fitment issues (hitting the diffuser) and the quality is not quite on par with the JoeZ.

I am not a fan of drone but have heard that the JoeZ does and doesnt have drone. At one time I had a GTR with a midpipe and that sounded awesome. Has anyone who has a borla/joez ISF sat or owned a GTR with some exhaust work before? Can you compare?
I was the one who had the diffuser issue when I first installed mine. Went back and it turned out being an install problem as they didn't slide one of the slip fit joints in all the way. Other than that I've seen zero fitment issues with the Borla.

I've had the JoeZ and the Borla and both are fine without headers, but paired up with headers the JoeZ was just too loud and droned for me. With that said though, the JoeZ did sound great.
Old 08-22-12, 10:48 AM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caymandive
I was the one who had the diffuser issue when I first installed mine. Went back and it turned out being an install problem as they didn't slide one of the slip fit joints in all the way. Other than that I've seen zero fitment issues with the Borla.

I've had the JoeZ and the Borla and both are fine without headers, but paired up with headers the JoeZ was just too loud and droned for me. With that said though, the JoeZ did sound great.
Hey Cayman, thanks for the reply. Since it seems the power is comparable between the Borla and JoeZ..IF you could go back and just pick one exhaust without headers, which one would it be?

I ask because you've had both and you always give an unbiased, honest opinion

(again i do understand its all about personal preference)
Old 08-22-12, 10:48 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

James, not that it makes a dramatic difference but your best time (11.91s) was with the JoeZ exhaust, right?
Old 08-22-12, 11:02 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Juanca
James, not that it makes a dramatic difference but your best time (11.91s) was with the JoeZ exhaust, right?
Yup it was with the JoeZ exhaust. There is little to no difference in power though between the two, but they do sound, look and weigh differently so it all comes down to personal preference.
Old 08-22-12, 11:12 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by daniel3ooo
Hey Cayman, thanks for the reply. Since it seems the power is comparable between the Borla and JoeZ..IF you could go back and just pick one exhaust without headers, which one would it be?

I ask because you've had both and you always give an unbiased, honest opinion

(again i do understand its all about personal preference)
It would be the Borla for the following reasons.
-it fit my car better than the JoeZ. The JoeZ had some close spots around some of the under bracing whereas the Borla did not. The Borla actually has two slight bends just before the x pipe that allow for more clearance.

Here is a picture of where there were clearance issues with my old JoeZ exhaust. I "think" the newer versions fixed this but I can't confirm.

- the Borla weighs a few lbs less
- seems like the Borla is deeper in tone which I like for daily driving
- I like how the Borla mufflers have 4 exhaust tips that match up to the rear diffusers
- the price of the Borla is significantly less

The JoeZ exhaust does have a nicer fit and finish and I believe it sounds better on the race track too.

Last edited by caymandive; 08-22-12 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-22-12, 11:14 AM
JBFGS300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

James that's right it was with joe z the pass but you dynod almost 5-6rwhp more with the borla thought it was the borla that got you over the 400rwhp mark.

Quick Reply: Borla full catback review: clearing up misconceptions