IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sunroof Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-11, 02:07 PM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turns out I'm not crazy after all. Apparently, what happened is when the original Lexus tech took it out the first time (the one that said nothing can be done about it), he couldn't replicate the problem I described. It was only to a much lesser extent, which is tolerable. However, I took the lead tech for a ride today and was able to replicate exactly what I've been trying to describe and he immediately said that it is a problem and it needs to be fixed.

The lead tech is going to open a case and contact the main Lexus headquarters in California and figure out the process to repair the sunroof. Good news is they let me take my car back and I don't have to pay for my 30k service until they have me bring the car back in for the fix on the sunroof!
Old 04-29-11, 02:36 PM
mentroc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice, finally got them to fix the problem
Old 07-19-11, 06:40 PM
clellandm
Driver School Candidate

I am currently going through these same conversations with my Lexus dealership. I figured that was just a poor design side-effect of the IS until I had a loaner that behaved just fine with the sunroof open (to the automatic stop). I pointed out the differences and they found a TSB, ordered parts, and when I got the car back I had a new giant heavy rear-view mirror! That was the extent of their "fix". Last week I had the roof open on a perfect evening and noticed the difference pulling the deflector down just slightly - like 1/4 inch. I shared that with the tech who was supposed to take the car for a test drive finally. Whether they did or not, the latest word is they ordered a new deflector.

Any idea what cure Headquarters came up with?
Old 09-15-11, 12:36 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dsg03svt
I took my car into the dealership on Monday for 30k service and a sunroof problem.

The problem with the sunroof is whenever I open it up all the way by either pressing the dial (08') or turning to full open, I get major vibrations that shake the entire roof/ rear view mirror. It basically makes the rear view worthless and also creates loud subwoofer like base noise. I can attribute it to the wind deflector thing that semi-pops up when the sunroof is open because when it starts to do what I've discussed, if I reach my hand up and hold or touch the deflector, I can feel it vibrating and then it will stop if I touch/hold it hard enough. This only occurs if I'm going 45mph and it's windy or most the time I'm on the highway.

The dealer already performed the new mirror recall months ago.

After having my car a week, my service rep told me that I'm not going to like the news. He said that that is just how the IS's are. That I need to not open it full way, but rather back it off one notch. Basically, there is no fix for it nor is there anything they can do...

My thoughts are not to accept this. I already kind of told him over the phone that this is a $65k lexus and that is not the type of quality I would expect of such. I want to get other opinions on 1) if anyone else has experienced this and 2) how I should go about handling this the best way possible.
My 08 IS-250 "had" the exact same problem.
They replaced it with new rear view mirror, but still no difference.

So I wrote to Lexus Customer Service demanding money back for the Sunroof. Next week their field technician comes in, adjusts the deflector and voila no more of those crazy vibrations when the sunroof is open. There are some though which are across all of their models as I see that much vibrations on the loaners too.
Old 08-13-12, 04:35 PM
socplay50
Driver School Candidate

has the actual glass of anyone's sunroof ever cracked/shattered/broke from this vibration which is pretty common?
Old 08-13-12, 08:10 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Geez, whoa, I don't think so.

I've had some crazy vibes going on when driving at full open but I just closed the sunroof a bit and it went away.
Old 08-14-12, 11:41 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 77 Posts

glad I'm not the only one with this vibration... it almost feels like the the sun roof is going to fly off with how much is vibrating!
Old 08-15-12, 10:23 AM
zombeezISF
Driver School Candidate

I also experienced the same problem with the sunroof and mirror. To solve the issue I just roll the back windows down and keep the sunroof just short of being fully opened. Doing that seems to keep that vibration down quite a bit.

As far as the rearview mirror shake, I griped to the dealership about it vibrating to death and told them I wanted the newer mirror that was installed in the IS C's since they seemed to be sturdier. Got it covered under warranty. That and I refuse to pay for that considering I've had the F in the shop at least 4 times before for the stupid CD player issue...
Old 05-15-13, 09:33 AM
eightysix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dsg03svt
Turns out I'm not crazy after all. Apparently, what happened is when the original Lexus tech took it out the first time (the one that said nothing can be done about it), he couldn't replicate the problem I described. It was only to a much lesser extent, which is tolerable. However, I took the lead tech for a ride today and was able to replicate exactly what I've been trying to describe and he immediately said that it is a problem and it needs to be fixed.

The lead tech is going to open a case and contact the main Lexus headquarters in California and figure out the process to repair the sunroof. Good news is they let me take my car back and I don't have to pay for my 30k service until they have me bring the car back in for the fix on the sunroof!
did they ever fix this? having exactly the same problem
i sometimes think my dash is gonna break in pieces because of how insane this turbulence noise is
Old 05-15-13, 11:17 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry...First you can't fix aerodynamic physics. Secondly...i think it's hilarious that some of you guys are saying it's a design flaw. I just don't open the sunroof COMPLETELY all the way. Then I don't have this problem.

Could it have been designed better? Sure... Could they make a fix immediately? I don't know if it's necessary. Nothing happens when you don't open the roof all the way. Look at 2008 models...the 12V in the center console is designed so that if you use it for most 12v things, you can't even close it. So is everyone up in arms about this?

Buy a new car....go buy a BMW...go deal with their design flaws...LOL
Old 05-15-13, 11:19 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

wow...just realized someone revived an old *** thread...LOL
Old 05-16-13, 05:48 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

I could go WELL over the speed limit with my BMW and not have my entire roof shaking like a huge earthquake to where Im worried about damage. It was a **** poor design, not physics. Iv never had a car or been in a car where its this serious. They could have let me test drive it before it was released and in 5 mins I could have told them something was wrong lol. Granted, I just change how open the sun roof is by like 1 click and it doesnt vibrate at all. It is what it is. Ill take this problem over my 335i breaking down all the time.
Old 05-16-13, 07:17 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would rather not have a sunroof at all! I never use mine so Incould care less.

They could just adjust the stopping point...that would be an easy fix.
Old 05-16-13, 07:51 AM
2008ISF
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tsb l-sb-0061-11

Has anyone seen this TSB?

L-SB-0061-11

Moon Roof Throb Noise/Mirror Vibration When Open

Some 2006 - 2010 model year IS vehicles may exhibit a throb noise and/or mirror vibration with the moon roof in the "Full Open" position. This condition is typically present between 45 - 65 mph. New moon roof deflector panel pads have been developed to address this condition.

The parts are small cheap pieces of rubber that allow the deflector to sit a little bit more snuggly against the roof/assembly. I put these on a few weeks ago and the vibration has lessened...not completely gone.

I have been dealing with the same issue as the OP. Very frustrating, I have also done what others have suggested,..opening windows while driving, opening the sunroof to a certain point.

I feel the main problem is that the springs inside the moonroof assembly that hold the deflector up are not strong enough when the car gets above a certain speed. If I am driving at a certain speed and get the vibration, all I have to do is hold the deflector with my hand and the vibration goes away. Also the deflector needs to extend somehow another 1/8 to 1/4 inch higher to push/deflect the air away from the cabin.
Old 05-16-13, 08:27 AM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had any problem with an open sunroof on my '11

Quick Reply: Sunroof Problem