ISF shift speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-11, 05:23 AM
kenysl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISF shift speed

Hi guys,

I picked up my ISF last week and is having a fabulous time! However, I've got a question about the transmission. When I click the downshift, seems its not happening instantly, especially if I hit it like 3 times to drop 3 gears, seems its doing the shifting 1 by 1, and quite a bit of delay. I really do no see the advertised lightning shift. I've tried to put in manual mode and sport mode and I don't see too big of a diff. It seems if i want to overtake, the best is push the throttle, the power comes quite quick. But if i choose to click 2-3 gears down, i have to wait for it to shift and then the power comes.

I've driven a GTI DSG before and when I hit it 2 times to drop 2 gears, it does it instantly. I have also owned an SMG before and its slower in response. But seems this direct shift is not so instant. Or is there anything I did wrong here?
Old 04-14-11, 06:21 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You definitely need to be in M mode. It shifts faster when in M.
Old 04-14-11, 07:14 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to M mode, SPORT, and when downshifting do not step on the gas, it makes a HUGE difference. Downshifting this way is instantly (I drive with VCD off all the time, I don't know if that matters here). Remember that this transmission is sequencial, not dual clutch, that means that the tranny WILL go through every gear.
Old 04-14-11, 07:14 AM
mr2fast
Driver

the downshifts are only fast at higher RPM, and yes you have to go gear by gear. I have found though that if you tap the paddle with the proper timing it will roll through the gears quite quickly to downshift. Alternatively if you want to drop multiple gears at once put it into auto, mash the gas, and it will drop down to the gear closest to peak torque - then you can pull it back into manual mode. On the other hand up-shifts at WOT are incredibly fast.
Old 04-14-11, 07:24 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want an ISF :'(
Old 04-14-11, 08:41 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wait a minute....in my is350 I can tap my gear limiter paddles (-) quickly in succession and it will go into say 2nd from 4th directly,skipping over 3rd. But if I miss hit the paddle or do it too slowly it WILL go one by one. Foot off the Gas btw.

It does this when you go from D into S from a cruising speed of like 60mph too. It'll just shift directly into 4th.

Maybe I just cant recognize the gear it skips in and out of quickly
Old 04-14-11, 09:46 AM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Juanca
Go to M mode, SPORT, and when downshifting do not step on the gas, it makes a HUGE difference. Downshifting this way is instantly (I drive with VCD off all the time, I don't know if that matters here). Remember that this transmission is sequencial, not dual clutch, that means that the tranny WILL go through every gear.
any need to take your foot off the gas when upshifting?
Old 04-14-11, 11:29 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fapout
any need to take your foot off the gas when upshifting?
Nope. Keep your foot on the gas.
Old 04-14-11, 11:38 AM
Tempest
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
wait a minute....in my is350 I can tap my gear limiter paddles (-) quickly in succession and it will go into say 2nd from 4th directly,skipping over 3rd. But if I miss hit the paddle or do it too slowly it WILL go one by one. Foot off the Gas btw.

It does this when you go from D into S from a cruising speed of like 60mph too. It'll just shift directly into 4th.

Maybe I just cant recognize the gear it skips in and out of quickly
The transmission is in fact downshifting through multiple gears, and that's part of the "delay" in acceleration that you get when you mash the gas. Hitting the paddles will only display the gear you want (as long as it's not outside of the tranny's range given speed and rpm), not the actual gear it's in. You can rapidly tap from 6th to 3rd, but it's definitely not downshifting that fast, nor is it skipping gears.

In an ISF, when the display shows the gear position, it's the actual gear. And when you use the paddles to downshift quickly, it will only go down one gear at a time, and you have to time it well otherwise the tranny will "ignore" rapid tapping of the paddles.
Old 04-14-11, 11:56 AM
michaelisf
Driver

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
I want an ISF :'(
i know how you feel bro im waiting on patience too brotha.
Old 04-14-11, 01:37 PM
Got F?

Originally Posted by kenysl
Hi guys,

I picked up my ISF last week and is having a fabulous time! However, I've got a question about the transmission. When I click the downshift, seems its not happening instantly, especially if I hit it like 3 times to drop 3 gears, seems its doing the shifting 1 by 1, and quite a bit of delay. I really do no see the advertised lightning shift. I've tried to put in manual mode and sport mode and I don't see too big of a diff. It seems if i want to overtake, the best is push the throttle, the power comes quite quick. But if i choose to click 2-3 gears down, i have to wait for it to shift and then the power comes.

I've driven a GTI DSG before and when I hit it 2 times to drop 2 gears, it does it instantly. I have also owned an SMG before and its slower in response. But seems this direct shift is not so instant. Or is there anything I did wrong here?
This is one of my biggest disappointments with the ISF, as well. Does anyone know if the Blitz throttle controller (or something similar) fixes this problem?
Old 04-14-11, 02:37 PM
MicaISF
Pole Position

Hi guys,

the 150ms shift is only for upshift. downshift takes at least 250 ms per gear( i read somewhere, but forgot the source, correct me if i am wrong). it will take at least 750ms to shift three gears. that's close to a second. if you consider there is probably more delay from transmission to engine to drive train, i believe a delay of over a second is reasonable. if you shift from 8--> 2, you probably will have a delay of 1.5-2 seconds.
Old 04-14-11, 02:43 PM
MicaISF
Pole Position

Hi guys,

the 150ms shift is only for upshift. downshift takes at least 250 ms per gear( i read somewhere, but forgot the source, correct me if i am wrong). it will take at least 750ms to shift three gears. if you consider there is probably more delay from transmission to engine to drive train, i believe a delay of over a second is reasonable. if you shift from 8--> 2, you probably will have a delay of 1.5-2 seconds.
Old 04-14-11, 04:50 PM
TripleBlkF
Rookie

Yup, no dual clutch tranny here. BUT, i say we count all our blessings and be thankful for what i have heard is the fastest shifting CONVENTIONAL transmission anyways.

Plus, its always more fun to be accelerating (up shifting) anyways...
Old 04-14-11, 07:41 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, the higher the rpm and at 100% throttle, upshift is much quicker and harder. Why do you need to downshift 3 gears that quickly? On a track, you only downshift 1 gear at a time. When I am at the track, I'm typically in 2,3,or 4th gear only. Even the 2nd gear I am rarely in and when I slam on the brake before the turn, I only downshift usually only once or maybe twice at most and it downshifts faster than the time it takes for the car to decel to the right gear. I suppose you're talking about downshifting from like 7th or 8th gear to 2nd and 3rd gear in case you are at a sudden need to speed up? In that case, being in sport and auto mode will kick down to the right gear, then you can put it in manual mode.

Quick Reply: ISF shift speed