IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Debating on purchasing an IS-F

Old 03-26-11, 08:38 AM
MxChase
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debating on purchasing an IS-F

So... I've been looking around for a good deal on a 2008-2009 IS350. The more I look the more I think I want to just spend the extra cash and pick up a used '08 IS-F. I don't know a ton about them other than their specs.

I guess I'm wondering if you guys think it is worth spending an extra 8-10k to get the IS-F. Are they more maintenance than an IS350? Has anyone ever compared the difference in insurance costs between the two? And, what kind of gas mileage can you get in an IS-F??
Old 03-26-11, 08:47 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

You're asking this question on an ISF forum? Of course, it's worth the extra money, if you're into raw performance Think of it as the Lexus equivalent to the BMW 335i vs. the M3. As to all your other questions, a search will turn up answers for you. Good luck on your decision.

Lou
Old 03-26-11, 08:49 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

All basic maintenance is more money, tires are more, gas is more, insurance differs person to person to much. If you want the fast one that stops, handles and looks beefed up than yes its worth the 10K.
Old 03-26-11, 10:55 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I was in a similar boat but I was looking at a new 350 or a used 08 IS-F so the price difference didn't really exist and it was more a debate of new vs used. I drove both and that easily answered my question and I now on a F. The awesome power and sound of the car was just amazing and something I decided was definitely worth it.

Maintenance is definitely a little more since you are doing 19in tires instead of 17 or 18 as well as they are summer high performance. It seems you are from Utah so you will definitely need a dedicated set of winter tires as well unless you have another vehicle for that.

Gas mileage depends on how you buy it. If I cruise to work and only have 2-3 heavy acceleration runs a day I can manage about 23mpg a tank but most of my 32 mile commute each way is highway. I tried just for the heck of it to do no heavy acceleration for one week which was absolute torture by the way and did manage to get 25.5 mpg for the week. These are calculations from fill up divided by mileage and not from the trip computer as well.
Old 03-26-11, 11:31 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

The same answer I give every time this question is posted (over and over). Drive both, buy the one you like better. In my mind (preference) it was well worth the premium for the ISF, they are very different cars from behind the drivers seat. The transmission alone is worth the extra money, then add, 19" wheels, 5.0L V8, extensive chassis bracing, brembo brakes, better interior (seats), performance suspension, aggressive body work, list goes on and on. You could not "re-create" an ISF from a IS350 for anywhere near $10K.

Mileage will very, tires can be traded for long lasting all seasons, etc. but WHY?

The car is great if you value what it offers. Like I said, drive it and see if it makes sense to you. It made sense to all of us.
Old 03-26-11, 11:33 AM
lx470man
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gas is a bit of a killer, it is about $65 for a fill now. And this on commuting back and forth only last me 1.5 week with a lite foot. With commuting i have never gone over 250 miles per tank with granny driving.

As for the car itself, lolz get into a regular everyday car it just accentuates the fact every time why you paid the extra cash for the F. I have a Joe Z exhuast and I just feel like a superstar every time i take the car out.
Old 03-26-11, 12:41 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used IS-F. If you are looking for looks and performance, than I would go this route.
Old 03-26-11, 01:03 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

If you can afford it, do the F.
Old 03-26-11, 01:26 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

all this talk about gas mileage seems ridiculous. If you compare the average MPG specs for the IS350 and ISF and average it over a year, you end up spending only $325 a year! hardly an unreasonable expense when you consider it's the price of 1 tire for the car.

Old 03-26-11, 02:30 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Between an IS F and an IS 350, you'd have to test drive both to see which really suits your needs more. Gas prices are soaring, but that shouldn't deter you from an F. I've heard great reviews about the 350 and having test driven one before I purchased my F, it is a great ride overall as a daily driver. It's luxurious, quite fast, and very reliable. Personally, I just chose my IS F because it's what I wanted at the time. You cannot go wrong with either one, but definitely check both out before purchasing. I wouldn't automatically say get the F because of the performance bump over the 350. Hope you get the car you're looking for, my friend! Best of luck!
Old 03-26-11, 03:06 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant wait for $5.00 gas here in CA
Old 03-26-11, 03:07 PM
rhy
Pole Position

Something to consider when comparing the prices of 350 vs F:

The F will be more money but it will also cost more down the road. When you'll decide to sell it one day, you'll recoup a large portion of the difference. So, the higher maintenance cost (tires + brakes) will be the major difference between the two.
Old 03-27-11, 08:00 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

+1 total agree
Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Between an IS F and an IS 350, you'd have to test drive both to see which really suits your needs more. Gas prices are soaring, but that shouldn't deter you from an F. I've heard great reviews about the 350 and having test driven one before I purchased my F, it is a great ride overall as a daily driver. It's luxurious, quite fast, and very reliable. Personally, I just chose my IS F because it's what I wanted at the time. You cannot go wrong with either one, but definitely check both out before purchasing. I wouldn't automatically say get the F because of the performance bump over the 350. Hope you get the car you're looking for, my friend! Best of luck!
+ 1 hit this right on the head Nate
Originally Posted by rhy
Something to consider when comparing the prices of 350 vs F:

The F will be more money but it will also cost more down the road. When you'll decide to sell it one day, you'll recoup a large portion of the difference. So, the higher maintenance cost (tires + brakes) will be the major difference between the two.
I owed 2008 IS350 for 22 months and now own IS-F and can tell you that you will probably spend more than $325 average a year, but once again don't let this put you off from purchasing IS-F.
Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
all this talk about gas mileage seems ridiculous. If you compare the average MPG specs for the IS350 and ISF and average it over a year, you end up spending only $325 a year! hardly an unreasonable expense when you consider it's the price of 1 tire for the car.
I've owned both and it comes down to what's more important to you luxury or performance. If it's quick nice riding luxury car that gets good gas mileage then get IS350, if you want more of sport oriented luxury car that is both fast and fun that much more exclusive than IS350 then get IS-F. I really liked my IS350 but I just love my IS-F, night and day difference between these two cars. Good luck with your choice.
Old 03-27-11, 01:59 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i was originally looking for an IS250... just as a daily driver...
ended up with the F...
and my buddy with a 350 is kicking himself for not spending the extra $$$ to get the F...
he wants to buy so many things for the 350 but i keep telling him, he should've just gotten the F... so yeah, imho it's worth the extra $$$
Old 03-27-11, 03:45 PM
USBM2011
Driver

another thing to think of...

if your planning on keeping long term the isf will hold a lot more of its value....

so that 10k you spend up front will be worth it when its time to get rid of it.

there are A LOT less IS-F made and much less a dime a dozen than a 250 or 350. and im sure will be much more sought after down the road.

GET THE IS-F

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Debating on purchasing an IS-F