IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Nitto NT555

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-11, 07:55 PM
spekterg35
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitto NT555

Decided to get a new set of Nittos on the F. I've been using these on my G35 for years. They've lasted me 22,000mi+ on 2 degrees of Negative camber with multiple trackdays and autocrossing on each set (no rotations cause i'm lazy and absent minded).

Nitto NT555
Front: 245/35
Rear: 275/30
Performance Rating: W
UTQ: 300

Random Musings: When properly inflated, the tires exhibit no sidewall rollover or corner tread block "Chunking." Predictable breakaway, no squealing. Good Wet performance unless there is standing water.

Last edited by spekterg35; 03-13-11 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-13-11, 09:14 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Nice! I know a few F owners who are due for tire replacement really soon, as am I. Were there any others that you considered when replacing?
Old 03-13-11, 09:19 PM
spekterg35
Rookie

I read through some of the tire threads that were going on here, but they seemed to be more focused on ultimate performance and i needed a balance of performance/Longevity/price. I actually ordered a set of General Exclaim UHP and then got the call they were discontinued. These are kinda my fallback tire since they have served me well on the G.

Nobody had really mentioned or commented on them in here so i thought i'd throw them in the ring.
Old 03-14-11, 06:30 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by spekterg35
I read through some of the tire threads that were going on here, but they seemed to be more focused on ultimate performance and i needed a balance of performance/Longevity/price. I actually ordered a set of General Exclaim UHP and then got the call they were discontinued. These are kinda my fallback tire since they have served me well on the G.

Nobody had really mentioned or commented on them in here so i thought i'd throw them in the ring.
Well it's a good thing you did not get the Exclaim UHP on your F as I have them on my Nissan.

Perhaps they are a great value for the money but I consider them average in performance in the dry. I definitely think they will seriously compromise the performance of the F.
Old 03-14-11, 10:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

...They've lasted me 22,000mi+ on 2 degrees of Negative camber with multiple trackdays and autocrossing on each set (no rotations cause i'm lazy and absent minded)...
You said longevity was a consideration - I got 31k out of my original Bridgestone rears including three track weekends at Carolina Motorsports Park with each weekend totaling 4 hours on course. I don't see how you wouldn't consider them a bargain. The fronts would have lasted just as well, but they corded on the inside edge long before they were out of tread in the middle at 21k miles.

555s have been around a long time. I haven't personally owned a set, but I remember lots of Supra owners running them back in the days I was running S-02s. They were cheaper to buy but not cheaper to own as they didn't handle as well and they didn't last as long.

FWIW, in the "economy" department, I remember a back page shot in C&D from years ago. There was a Ferrari in the ditch with a caption "Good tires, but not GREAT tires..." Since tires are the only thing between you and the road, they determine your ultimate safety in the car.
Old 03-14-11, 11:14 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
FWIW, in the "economy" department, I remember a back page shot in C&D from years ago. There was a Ferrari in the ditch with a caption "Good tires, but not GREAT tires..." Since tires are the only thing between you and the road, they determine your ultimate safety in the car.
you think there's a big difference between the OEM's bridgestone vs. michelin then?
Old 03-14-11, 11:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by malujerry
you think there's a big difference between the OEM's bridgestone vs. michelin then?
On the street no. On the track, they'll be close, very close. I have no complaints with the OEM Bridgestones on the street or track - they're predictable, work well until they are past the wear bars, and they give very respectable mileage. I'm certain the PS2s will give a slightly better lap time, but you'd never know the difference driving on the street.
Old 03-15-11, 08:58 AM
spekterg35
Rookie

You said longevity was a consideration - I got 31k out of my original Bridgestone rears including three track weekends at Carolina Motorsports Park with each weekend totaling 4 hours on course. I don't see how you wouldn't consider them a bargain. The fronts would have lasted just as well, but they corded on the inside edge long before they were out of tread in the middle at 21k miles.

555s have been around a long time. I haven't personally owned a set, but I remember lots of Supra owners running them back in the days I was running S-02s. They were cheaper to buy but not cheaper to own as they didn't handle as well and they didn't last as long.

The stock tires can't be rotated, so there is nothing that could be done to prevent the front tire wear issues. Even with the toe set at zero, I'm guessing you'de be hard pressed to pull 30,000mi out of the fronts. My rears we're also pretty good after 27,000mi, but i figured it would be a good time to move to something else. With the Nitto's, i know through experience that they will last through the abuse i put them through. With proper rotation (swapped off the rim across the car), i may even be able to get 35,000mi to 40,000mi out of them.

As you stated, the 555s have been around for a long time. They probably aren't the most technologically advanced tire out there, though i'm pretty sure there have been compound changes over the years. But, there is a reason they have been around for a while. Bad reviews of these tires are few and far between.

Funny you should mention the safety issue. I had to take evasive action to avoid hitting javolina in the road at 3am in 27 degree weather at 70mph recently. These things were in my lane. The car swerved effortlessly and with no drama around and right back into the proper lane. The tires proved themselves.

I am aware that there are many better options out there. Better is a relative term. I would never suggest using these as a dedicated track/autocross tire. If people are serious about competition, they need to get a more serious tire.
Old 03-15-11, 10:04 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i had those on my supra
very good all around tires!!!
oh... and a very good value i might add as well...

have them on my LS460 right now too...
Old 03-15-11, 09:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The stock tires can't be rotated, so there is nothing that could be done to prevent the front tire wear issues. Even with the toe set at zero, I'm guessing you'de be hard pressed to pull 30,000mi out of the fronts. My rears we're also pretty good after 27,000mi, but i figured it would be a good time to move to something else. With the Nitto's, i know through experience that they will last through the abuse i put them through. With proper rotation (swapped off the rim across the car), i may even be able to get 35,000mi to 40,000mi out of them.

As you stated, the 555s have been around for a long time. They probably aren't the most technologically advanced tire out there, though i'm pretty sure there have been compound changes over the years. But, there is a reason they have been around for a while. Bad reviews of these tires are few and far between.

Funny you should mention the safety issue. I had to take evasive action to avoid hitting javolina in the road at 3am in 27 degree weather at 70mph recently. These things were in my lane. The car swerved effortlessly and with no drama around and right back into the proper lane. The tires proved themselves.

I am aware that there are many better options out there. Better is a relative term. I would never suggest using these as a dedicated track/autocross tire. If people are serious about competition, they need to get a more serious tire.
Take a peek at this thread. I'm tracking front wear and settings with photo updates.
Old 03-15-11, 10:05 PM
spekterg35
Rookie

Take a peek at this thread. I'm tracking front wear and settings with photo updates.
I've been following that thread and may soon set my toe to zero to see how things go. I appreciate how you included the information about amount of turns to toe change on the tie rods. Since our only option is toe changes, i may attempt to align myself. That way i can change for autocross or track if i want. I've put about 1500 miles on the car since the new tires on stock settings. I should start tracking my wear using your same metric to compare wear at similar point. Ill post results and pics when i get a chance.

Last edited by spekterg35; 03-15-11 at 10:21 PM.