IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mother of all extended warranty threads - look here first!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-11, 05:41 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently compared Lexus extended warranty prices with other brands, specifically MB, and found that MB is FAR more expensive. Not even close. That in itself is revealing as to the reliability of these brands.

Since the Lexus warranty is so cheap compared to others, it's almost worth it just to have the peace of mind, as N54MPower mentioned. On the other hand, the car is highly unlikely to run into warranty-related issues, so it might also be a waste of money.

As of now, I'm leaning towards NOT buying the warranty based on personal experience with the brand. These cars are honestly rock solid... and with proper care and maintenance, you're set for a looong time if you choose to keep it.
Old 09-27-11, 07:08 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Proper care not gonna help with Nav, water pump, or engine ticking from a worn guide valve. Ext. warranty is a hit or a miss.

Originally Posted by primecut
I recently compared Lexus extended warranty prices with other brands, specifically MB, and found that MB is FAR more expensive. Not even close. That in itself is revealing as to the reliability of these brands.

Since the Lexus warranty is so cheap compared to others, it's almost worth it just to have the peace of mind, as N54MPower mentioned. On the other hand, the car is highly unlikely to run into warranty-related issues, so it might also be a waste of money.

As of now, I'm leaning towards NOT buying the warranty based on personal experience with the brand. These cars are honestly rock solid... and with proper care and maintenance, you're set for a looong time if you choose to keep it.
Old 09-27-11, 07:38 PM
zojirushi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus's powertrain warranty is 72 months or 70k miles. That should cover the most expensive repairs if they're deemed necessary. My car has been rock solid so I will not be getting any additional warranty. Knock on wood though, heh.
Old 09-27-11, 09:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

The nav issue appears to be a pretty simple fix for someone who can work on electronics. Less than $20 in stuff if you don't have it on hand. Definitely not worth betting $2k on it IMHO.
Old 10-02-11, 05:14 PM
kuduhunter
Driver School Candidate

I jusy purchased a platinum Lexus extended warranty on a 2006 RX 400h with 97400 miles on it so you can buy an extended warranty as long as it is below 100000 miles. Of course I bought it used. Just didn't want to take the chance with the navigation, hybris system etc. Warranty if for 4 yrs/50000 miles.
Old 10-02-11, 09:41 PM
seimsag
Driver School Candidate

Default extended warranty

I've seen some of these so called "extended warranties" deny claims for just about anything they can. You have to read the fine print. For instance, provision in the contract denying claims for "modifications to the car". Some poor sap put aftermarket wheels on his car, so his claim for transmission problems was denied due to the aftermarket wheels that "threw his transmission off" was upheld. Buyer beware!
Old 10-30-11, 10:55 PM
James7
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

^ That buyer has a case in court if thats what they told him ... I hope he didn't give up on that and kept on the dealer, then kept on the whomever the warranty administrator was AND Lexus themselves .. that has nothing to do with the tranmission ... if that were me, I would simply make as much noise as possible even if it were to just **** people off.. at the end of the day documented explanations must be given, and that takes time, and time is money to those folks .. I would think that even some percentage of the cost would be covered jsut to settle it out ...
Old 10-31-11, 11:33 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by seimsag
I've seen some of these so called "extended warranties" deny claims for just about anything they can. You have to read the fine print. For instance, provision in the contract denying claims for "modifications to the car". Some poor sap put aftermarket wheels on his car, so his claim for transmission problems was denied due to the aftermarket wheels that "threw his transmission off" was upheld. Buyer beware!
Was it an AWD car?

Originally Posted by James7
^ That buyer has a case in court if thats what they told him ... I hope he didn't give up on that and kept on the dealer, then kept on the whomever the warranty administrator was AND Lexus themselves .. that has nothing to do with the tranmission ... if that were me, I would simply make as much noise as possible even if it were to just **** people off.. at the end of the day documented explanations must be given, and that takes time, and time is money to those folks .. I would think that even some percentage of the cost would be covered jsut to settle it out ...
If it was an AWD car and he put staggered wheels on it, then the insurance company was right.
Old 10-31-11, 02:20 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
The warranty is the same from Toyota or Lexus. Pricing varies by dealer and can be discounted. If you search this has been covered a lot here already.

Recently the best deal has been offered by

Jerry Johnson
Midwest Toyota
Midwest Superstore
1100 east 30th
Hutchinson, Ks 67502
Phone 800-530-5789
Cell 620-664-8844
jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com
Small world, that's my hometown!
Old 10-31-11, 03:11 PM
Endgame
Driver

Originally Posted by kuduhunter
I jusy purchased a platinum Lexus extended warranty on a 2006 RX 400h with 97400 miles on it so you can buy an extended warranty as long as it is below 100000 miles. Of course I bought it used. Just didn't want to take the chance with the navigation, hybris system etc. Warranty if for 4 yrs/50000 miles.
How much??
Old 10-31-11, 04:22 PM
James7
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Was it an AWD car?

If it was an AWD car and he put staggered wheels on it, then the insurance company was right.

Absolutely correct. I didn't think of that right away. There is a case for a voided warranty even in situations where different tires are used from front/rear ... one of the few pains with AWD..
Old 01-25-12, 09:14 PM
sleepyray
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

just bought my plantium extended warrenty today for my 08 IS-F too...it only has 10,5xx miles right now and orginal warrenty expires on March 31 2012. spent $1,740 on 5yrs/75k plan (that's 2 years extention nwhich mean it will now expire on 2014 March 31)... its hurts but i think it worth it.
Old 01-27-12, 03:39 PM
AllenISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by sleepyray
just bought my plantium extended warrenty today for my 08 IS-F too...it only has 10,5xx miles right now and orginal warrenty expires on March 31 2012. spent $1,740 on 5yrs/75k plan (that's 2 years extention nwhich mean it will now expire on 2014 March 31)... its hurts but i think it worth it.
I am in kind of the same situation as you 08, but with more miles than you (24k) and I was thinking about getting the EW also. If you got a 5 year/ 75k miles and you brought the F on March 31 2008, wouldn't it expire March 31 2013, not March 31 2014?
Old 01-27-12, 04:39 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

I'm about to hit 50K miles this week in less than 3 years...

So I decided it was a good time to buy the 7 year / 125K mile warranty from Longo Lexus.
Platinum VSA via Penske Automotive.

I basically just bought it for the big ticket items... I know the Factory Powertrain warranty is up @ 6yr / 70K miles...

I will indeed be hitting the mileage caps before the years.

Hopefully, I never have to use it!!!

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 01-27-12 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-27-12, 08:20 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm debating if I need one. Got a good hook up at Longo, JZ?

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I'm about to hit 50K miles this week in less than 3 years...

So I decided it was a good time to buy the 7 year / 125K mile warranty from Longo Lexus.
Platinum VSA via Penske Automotive.

I basically just bought it for the big ticket items... I know the Factory Powertrain warranty is up @ 6yr / 70K miles...

I will indeed be hitting the mileage caps before the years.

Hopefully, I never have to use it!!!

~ Joe Z

Quick Reply: Mother of all extended warranty threads - look here first!