IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mother of all extended warranty threads - look here first!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-11, 11:01 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're correct, it starts from the moment the car was purchased new. I got my car brand new in May/June 2008, and during this time it's gone through some warranty work. Paying $2,450 for 3 more years and 50K more miles is a great piece of mind, I don't want to be in the trouble of having the touchscreen problem again or the faulty rev needle, fixing either one would cost more than what I paid for the extended warranty.

Not long ago I read a thread about a new member buying the car used and having sunroof issues, I believe the quote was in the $3k range because the previous owner messed the sunroof up so warranty didn't cover it.

Originally Posted by spddemon
This extended warranty starts from date of purchase new correct. If so then that's not much time if u have an 08. Mileage would be 50k more not a 100k.
Old 09-26-11, 12:31 PM
crazymikie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Juanca
You're correct, it starts from the moment the car was purchased new. I got my car brand new in May/June 2008, and during this time it's gone through some warranty work. Paying $2,450 for 3 more years and 50K more miles is a great piece of mind, I don't want to be in the trouble of having the touchscreen problem again or the faulty rev needle, fixing either one would cost more than what I paid for the extended warranty.

Not long ago I read a thread about a new member buying the car used and having sunroof issues, I believe the quote was in the $3k range because the previous owner messed the sunroof up so warranty didn't cover it.
If the regular warranty didn't cover the sunroof, the extended warranty wouldn't cover it either, correct?

I only have 24k miles on my '08, but I think I am going to look into one of these.
Old 09-26-11, 12:50 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

^^^ The standard warranty didn't cover the sunroof because o misuse. My point is that fixing things in this car can be expensive, so $2,450 is a fair price for an "exntension" of the original warranty. I said extension because that's what the Platinum does, it covers everything. The cheaper Gold version has a lot of exceptions.
Old 09-26-11, 02:24 PM
spddemon
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca

You got me thinking about buying the extended warranty. The engine thread has me concerned. I am the second owner of my F and time is runnnig out I have until April 2013. What other problems did you have with the F?

Last edited by spddemon; 01-26-13 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-26-11, 02:41 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Let me see if I don't miss anything:
  • Rear view mirror replaced (vibrating issue).
  • Blown subwoofer replaced.
  • Front right caliper replaced (peeling off).
  • Instrument cluster replaced (faulty rev needle).
  • Touchscreen replaced on ML system (it stopped working).
  • Water pump replaced.
  • Battery replaced (dead cell).

Most (if not all) these issues have been experienced by other members as well, so having the extended warranty helps me sleeping at night.
Old 09-26-11, 02:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

^^ While this is all true, some of us have just driven the crap out of our cars without issue. To buy or not all depends on your personal risk model. I've had extended warranties and I've been without. Both have been fine.
Old 09-26-11, 09:54 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I was pondering if I should purchase an extended warranty.

- Had the instrumentation panel replaced
- Had water pump replaced
- Had NAV screen replaced

So all the common parts that have failed, were replaced. $2k+ for an extended warranty for a Toyota/Lexus was unheard of 4-5 years ago, let alone purchasing one. I purchased an ISF over the German counterparts for it's reliability and unnecessary purchasing of an extended warranty, but that does not seem to the case any longer.
Old 09-27-11, 03:23 AM
spddemon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by itsmike177

So all the common parts that have failed, were replaced. $2k+ for an extended warranty for a Toyota/Lexus was unheard of 4-5 years ago, let alone purchasing one. I purchased an ISF over the German counterparts for it's reliability and unnecessary purchasing of an extended warranty, but that does not seem to the case any longer.
What kind of mileage and how many years old did that stuff go bad? I do not not have nav so not worried about that, the other ones ya. What's cost for pump and panel?
Old 09-27-11, 06:25 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

This must be the first new car that I've decided to keep, all others were replaced within the first 3 years, that's why I bought the extended warranty. This car has had 7 issues, all covered under warranty in 4 visits to the dealer. My other car, a 2009 BMW 328i has been at the dealer about once a month since new, and even though all issues have been covered under warranty, it's been a waste of time going there, doing the paperwork for the loaner, going back and repeat this process to get the car back, etc. Issues will happen regardless of the brand, but Lexus has proven that their cars have the least amount of problems, and when they happen Lexus takes care of them as no other... no comparisson with any German brand!

Originally Posted by itsmike177

Old 09-27-11, 10:52 AM
buis02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by N54MPower
I bought mine from him last month and what they do check is the last in service date via service record. If that was a while ago you may be required to show current mileage.

As others have stated the warranty through Lexus can only be purchased before the car reaches 50K.

Mine is 7 years or 100K and it was $2040 bumper to bumper with $0 deductible(Platinum). Well worth the price considering what a navigation head unit replacement or worse would cost.
When I had my 350 the service writer was trying to offer me an extended warranty as well but he stated it was for valve train and nothing costmetic or whatnots. Didn't know if that was true or not but needless to say I didn't purchase it and ended up trading the car in down the line for this ISF.

Originally Posted by spddemon
You got me thinking about buying the extended warranty. The engine thread has me concerned. I am the second owner of my F and time is runnnig out I have until April 2012. What other problems did you have with the F?
If it makes you feel any better here is my speal with Lexus. I bought it from a BMW dealership. Seems the previous owner did the navigation hack and spliced up the wires. I wanted them to warranty the sound system since it didn't sound like my Mark Levinson sound system in the 350. They void the warranty due to the wire harness being cut up as well as the dash. Corporate voided the warranty repair work on the dash. It's going back to BMW where they are sending it off to a sister Lexus dealership to fix all the issues. Other then that for my car I got a new catalytic converter, o2 sensor, intake manifold, new battery (replaced as a courtesy when we went to chew them out for holding my car for 2.5 weeks) and I just notice the headlights have moisture/condensation in them so thats next. As a party gift when taking my car I noticed they scratched the rear bumper as well.
Old 09-27-11, 11:14 AM
crazymikie
Driver

Sorry to hear about all of your problems. It seems you were unlucky and got a car with a rough past life. I don't think it's fair to blame Lexus, however- the dealer that sold you the car should make it right.

Originally Posted by buis02
If it makes you feel any better here is my speal with Lexus. I bought it from a BMW dealership. Seems the previous owner did the navigation hack and spliced up the wires. I wanted them to warranty the sound system since it didn't sound like my Mark Levinson sound system in the 350. They void the warranty due to the wire harness being cut up as well as the dash. Corporate voided the warranty repair work on the dash. It's going back to BMW where they are sending it off to a sister Lexus dealership to fix all the issues. Other then that for my car I got a new catalytic converter, o2 sensor, intake manifold, new battery (replaced as a courtesy when we went to chew them out for holding my car for 2.5 weeks) and I just notice the headlights have moisture/condensation in them so thats next. As a party gift when taking my car I noticed they scratched the rear bumper as well.
Old 09-27-11, 11:50 AM
buis02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by crazymikie
Sorry to hear about all of your problems. It seems you were unlucky and got a car with a rough past life. I don't think it's fair to blame Lexus, however- the dealer that sold you the car should make it right.
Car definitely had a rough past. I blame Lexus because they really dragged their feet. They told me the car was being worked on but when i call for an update 4 days later they tell me they haven't even torn the car down or started work and it has been at the dealership pretty much 2-3 weeks at a time for the past 2 months. I don't know how they can afford to put me in their rentals for so long and pay for tech time. Whatever the case I got new parts out of it. Only thing that sucks is the drive to the dealership since they are located about 70 miles away from me. It's give and take but just glad this another dealership is going to take care of the harness and a new dash.
Old 09-27-11, 12:17 PM
crazymikie
Driver

Originally Posted by buis02
Car definitely had a rough past. I blame Lexus because they really dragged their feet. They told me the car was being worked on but when i call for an update 4 days later they tell me they haven't even torn the car down or started work and it has been at the dealership pretty much 2-3 weeks at a time for the past 2 months. I don't know how they can afford to put me in their rentals for so long and pay for tech time. Whatever the case I got new parts out of it. Only thing that sucks is the drive to the dealership since they are located about 70 miles away from me. It's give and take but just glad this another dealership is going to take care of the harness and a new dash.
That does suck. I guess I'm lucky that I have one of the better dealers in my area.
Old 09-27-11, 01:05 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

With the exception of a HID bulb that was on it's way out the other 2 warranty items I had done on my car were done proactively by the dealer.

I went for an oil change they noticed the water pump had a small leak and fixed it. They also noticed the battery was not good and changed it without issue all in less than 24 hours. Dealers are staffed with humans and as much as we'd like them to be all the same.........they aren't. If your dealer sucks find another one.

Just like Juanca I don't keep cars for long. I was gonna sell mine 2 months ago and decided to keep it a bit longer and felt that $2K gave me a lot of peace of mind and adds value when selling the car. If I had a Camry or Civic I wouldn't bother but given the cost of parts that could fail it'd be pretty silly not to get an extended warranty on a car like this.
Old 09-27-11, 01:06 PM
buis02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by crazymikie
That does suck. I guess I'm lucky that I have one of the better dealers in my area.
To add to it Lexus prides itself on customer service. The Service Manager was trying to duck out on us because he knew we were unhappy and were waiting for him. Waited about 30 minutes before we started counting and an hour and a half later we left steamed since he didn't have the common courtesy to tell us he will be with us. Needless to say he caught an ear full from my girlfriend and corporate got a nice complaint via phone and mail. But overall just try to make sure everything thats going to break breaks under warranty lol as I have. I also got a free vent even though its directly connected to the dash which wasn't being warrantied free of charge.

Quick Reply: Mother of all extended warranty threads - look here first!