IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Belt slip noise in manual mode shifting >5.5k rpm?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-14, 11:13 AM
.dee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, am having the same issue on my Nov 2013 with 5,000km; of course the monkeys at the dealership don't believe its an issue and as such doesn't need addressing.

any chance someone can post a link to the relevant TSB.

many thanks
Old 07-13-14, 02:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by .dee
Hi, am having the same issue on my Nov 2013 with 5,000km; of course the monkeys at the dealership don't believe its an issue and as such doesn't need addressing.

any chance someone can post a link to the relevant TSB.

many thanks
Honestly I knew they were going to do the same thing to me and thats why I simply purchased the parts and came in for oil and said change these out for me as well. They were more than happy to do the work. I recently tested my car at full red line shift in manual and sport at 108 degrees ambient temps and NO SLIP !! Its fixable and if you buy the belt and tensioner pulley off the oem list of parts ( lobux has posted the part numbers ) you can have the work done for a fraction of what I payed. I got my oem parts from sewell and had the dealer install.
Old 07-13-14, 05:18 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Its fixable and if you buy the belt and tensioner pulley off the oem list of parts ( lobux has posted the part numbers ) you can have the work done for a fraction of what I payed. I got my oem parts from sewell and had the dealer install.
How do you mean? Have an indy shop install the OEM parts from Sewell?

Thanks, I need to do this
Old 07-14-14, 01:09 PM
LionelHutz
Rookie

Had this addressed today. OEM parts were $174 shipped from eBay, install was $80 at my independent shop. Zero noise on shifts now and shifting seems crisper (though that could be my imagination).
Old 07-14-14, 01:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LionelHutz
Had this addressed today. OEM parts were $174 shipped from eBay, install was $80 at my independent shop. Zero noise on shifts now and shifting seems crisper (though that could be my imagination).

I feel the same way. Another happy F owner !!

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
How do you mean? Have an indy shop install the OEM parts from Sewell?

Thanks, I need to do this
You can either buy oem parts from Sewell online and have them installed or buy them cheaper from ebay or rock auto ( i think . I would ask lobux) and have them installed. The non oem parts are the same but sold at a HUGE discount Since I was having the parts installed at the dealer I brought them oem parts so they wouldn't ***** and complain . It makes a difference in how the car feel when it shifts , plus the loss of the slip noise just makes the car seem like its operating normally as it should
Old 07-14-14, 11:31 PM
.dee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Honestly I knew they were going to do the same thing to me and thats why I simply purchased the parts and came in for oil and said change these out for me as well. They were more than happy to do the work.
I agree with you in practice it would be possibly easier to do it myself, but these cars sell here for $130k USD here, and well, its an issue that they (Lexus dealers) need to take responsibility for.
Old 07-15-14, 07:16 AM
LexusISF19
Driver

My 2011 is at dealer getting this fixed
Old 07-15-14, 10:53 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

going to have to listen closely to see if my car does this today. Never paid attention to it or have heard anything abnormal.
Old 07-15-14, 12:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

just drop in manual and press sport. Take it to any back street and just floor it. I can hear the noise in about 70% of all of the ISF videos posted on youtube . Its that common
Old 09-08-14, 06:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

just a follow up post. I heard the noise today but very very slightly and only in first gear. It used to happen 1st through 3rd.Just wondering if the tensioner pulley can be adjusted or the dealership can spray something on the belt to totally eliminate the noise. I have a feeling this is a minor design flaw in the ISF. The motor shifts too hard and fast for the pulley and belt. New OEM parts installed at the dealer and still has an very small slip
Old 09-08-14, 07:23 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The 'winding up' noise in my car seems to be getting louder and louder, especially with the a/c on....
Old 09-08-14, 08:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
The 'winding up' noise in my car seems to be getting louder and louder, especially with the a/c on....
does it sound like a whine. Almost like a Super charger
Old 09-08-14, 09:02 PM
2011slvISF
Rookie

I'm pretty sure mine does too. i was wondering what it was. thank for the info guys
Old 09-08-14, 10:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

The random ticking noise that went away with the new tensioner and belt has returned on mine. I have a feeling it's related to the alternator drive, but no hard evidence to say with certainty this is the issue. I think we are back to "they all do this" and there really isn't a permanent fix for it.
Old 09-08-14, 11:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The random ticking noise that went away with the new tensioner and belt has returned on mine. I have a feeling it's related to the alternator drive, but no hard evidence to say with certainty this is the issue. I think we are back to "they all do this" and there really isn't a permanent fix for it.
I think you are right. In the end its pretty damn rare that ever launch the car in manual and sport from a dead start. I know on the track it will not show up since its only a slight thing in only first gear.

I guess, it is what it is . Im just surprised that the issue was only resolved for a few months. It has reduced it by quite a bit but not 100%.

Quick Reply: Belt slip noise in manual mode shifting >5.5k rpm?