IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Belt slip noise in manual mode shifting >5.5k rpm?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-14, 08:40 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
does it sound like a whine. Almost like a Super charger
Yes, exactly
Old 09-09-14, 10:18 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Its got to be the tensioner pulley because it was fine for months and then just started doing it very very slightly ( chirp) and the mild whine.
Old 09-23-14, 10:49 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2012 with 30k miles. It has the exact same sound as in caymandriver's track video.

It sounds more like a scratch to me under hard shifts near redline.

Similar sound to describe it to is when you're powershifting a manual tranny car and the syncros are worn, it goes in but it kinda grinds/scratches. At first I thought it was the transmission itself, but I'm glad I found this thread. What a relief.

Dropped the car off at the dealership and had one of the service advisors go with me for a drive, he said it doesn't sound like the belt. He said he will open a case for it.

Oh well, in the meantime I'm stuck with an IS250 loaner, which is probably one of the slowest things I've ever driven. I swear my old Prius would have given it a good run.
Old 09-23-14, 01:09 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
I have a 2012 with 30k miles. It has the exact same sound as in caymandriver's track video.

It sounds more like a scratch to me under hard shifts near redline.

Similar sound to describe it to is when you're powershifting a manual tranny car and the syncros are worn, it goes in but it kinda grinds/scratches. At first I thought it was the transmission itself, but I'm glad I found this thread. What a relief.

Dropped the car off at the dealership and had one of the service advisors go with me for a drive, he said it doesn't sound like the belt. He said he will open a case for it.

Oh well, in the meantime I'm stuck with an IS250 loaner, which is probably one of the slowest things I've ever driven. I swear my old Prius would have given it a good run.

that scratch sound is normal. does have a similar sound to bad syncros on a manual car. no torque converter on shifts from 2nd to 8th
Old 09-23-14, 02:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

keep us posted. This issue is minor but VERY VERY COMMON.
Old 09-23-14, 07:01 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
that scratch sound is normal. does have a similar sound to bad syncros on a manual car. no torque converter on shifts from 2nd to 8th
Oh whooops. So that scratching noise is completely normal and not belt slippage? Yikes...I feel bad... the dealership said they will go ahead and replace the belt for me and tensioner under warranty. I told them because the forum I visit says that is the fix. lol talk about amazing service..
Old 09-24-14, 06:54 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Update:

After the dealership replaced belt and tensioner, noise is 100 percent gone.

My ISF is perfect now. Thank you Lexus of Thousand Oaks, especially Jimi in service. That guy is cool as hell.
Old 09-25-14, 05:52 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Yeah, the word is finally getting around about this problem. Unfortunately it will return. AMHIK.
Old 09-25-14, 07:57 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for being the guinea pig, I'm not wasting time and $ for attempting to fix an issue that will repeat itself
Old 09-25-14, 09:25 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I always thought it was the blow-off valve...

I kid, I kid.

Interesting. I have had the LSB performed and the car still exhibits it. 2008 with 57,000mi.
Old 09-25-14, 09:52 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
I always thought it was the blow-off valve...

I kid, I kid.

Interesting. I have had the LSB performed and the car still exhibits it. 2008 with 57,000mi.
LMAO, that also popped in my head.

I was like, sounds like the HKS BOV I had on my Supra.
Old 09-25-14, 10:14 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up Belts, Maybe Tensioner

I'm becoming more informed concerning the idiosyncrasies of belts and sometimes tensioners. What is being described here is a relatively common problem with diesel engines like the larger Cummins types. These motors never see 2500 RPM and yet they make these odd sounds. I was originally told to replace the belt and tensioner, but when I went for parts at a large commercial truck shop, I was told to forget the tensioner and just get a new belt. They said get a good one. They said they run into it a lot.

Even though the belt only had about 6000 miles, I replaced it and by by issue.

I looked at the old belt for quite awhile and determined that even though the belt was serviceable, it had a number of nicks in the groves and even a couple of small holes. I think road debris had caused the damage. The nicks and small holes probably are acting like a musical instrument as they cross the pulleys and tensioner where air is squeezed out or around the groves.

Try a good quality new belt first.

Old 09-25-14, 05:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by lorenr
I'm becoming more informed concerning the idiosyncrasies of belts and sometimes tensioners. What is being described here is a relatively common problem with diesel engines like the larger Cummins types. These motors never see 2500 RPM and yet they make these odd sounds. I was originally told to replace the belt and tensioner, but when I went for parts at a large commercial truck shop, I was told to forget the tensioner and just get a new belt. They said get a good one. They said they run into it a lot.

Even though the belt only had about 6000 miles, I replaced it and by by issue.

I looked at the old belt for quite awhile and determined that even though the belt was serviceable, it had a number of nicks in the groves and even a couple of small holes. I think road debris had caused the damage. The nicks and small holes probably are acting like a musical instrument as they cross the pulleys and tensioner where air is squeezed out or around the groves.

Try a good quality new belt first.

I was having exactly this thought today when it started making the noise I hate so much.
Old 09-25-14, 05:55 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I was having exactly this thought today when it started making the noise I hate so much.
Can anybody suggest a good quality belt? Ideally, I could have it replaced once and be good for a long time.

TIA!
Old 09-25-14, 09:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Cant they just spray the newly installed belt with some belt spray to prevent it from slipping ??

Quick Reply: Belt slip noise in manual mode shifting >5.5k rpm?