IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Belt slip noise in manual mode shifting >5.5k rpm?

Old 05-22-14, 10:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
I'm glad your car is running good again. Cost for labor though, that is insane! Sway bar installation should be only 1/2 hr. My buddy's performance shop installed it for me at no extra cost when I had control arms installed.
it was the first time I had been to this dealership in years so I am pretty sure they charged me full "book" rate. I am sure they did the work in way less time than what the book calls for but that is how they make their money. In the end I like the fact that I can just dump the car, get a loaner, head to work, and return to pick up the car with no issues. I could have gone to speed shop but this was just way to convenient . I had coilovers installed on my GS350 back in the day and got stuck at the shop and had to rent a car to get home. It sucked.

Originally Posted by LexusISF19
Wow i have a 2011 with 30k miles and it has this noise thouhht it was nothin big... Guesss time for warrantyy
it should be covered under the original warranty. Its not covered under the Lexus extra care. Not 100% sure since I pretty much just change these parts .
Old 05-23-14, 08:35 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thx for all the info, I8ABMR. I need to get this done as the sound drives me nuts.

You notice any difference in the shifting?
Old 05-23-14, 10:15 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I feel like the car feels like it shift smoother and maybe a little faster. Either that or the power is just tramitted through the system more efficiently. Not sure. All in all the car feels smoother, stronger, and no longer sounds like a yelping dog when you shift.

I ended up dropping like $1500 at the dealership yesterday but the F feels brand new and STRONG AS HELL. They replaced windshield moulding for me, balanced tires, did service, belt and pulley, new brake pads ( ready for the track next week), and sway bar. Driving the car to work this morning was great. For the first time since I got the car in February , the car feels perfect.

The belt issue , although not threatening to the engine, made me feel like something was wrong . I buy Lexus vehicles because I like my car running perfectly. Now she is back in that Lexus zone again. LOL Even in my track videos I could hear the slip. Also when I watched a friends videos on the track I could hear the belt slip as I passed his little FRS on the straight. ANNOYING !!
Old 07-01-14, 03:45 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Older thread by my car just started doing this but it seems to be at 1500 -3k rpm. ordered the replacement parts and getting that finished this weekend
Old 07-02-14, 05:08 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

for those interested I picked up the Dayco at a local part store for $63

here are pictures of the unit, looks like they grind off the toyota part number.

Old 07-08-14, 11:56 AM
LionelHutz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
16620-0W131 - Tensioner - $165.30 from Sewell
90916-02632 - Belt - $35.92 from Sewell

Rock Auto has the same tensioner (DAYCO Part # 89380) for $100 less than Lexus. Same manufacturer, looks like same part. I didn't try it, but if you're on a budget, it's probably a good option.
Thanks for this. Sewell's price is now $238 for the tensioner, Dayco is still $63. [Edit: the OEM parts are also available all over eBay for far cheaper than Sewell, and Rock Auto's shipping costs were insane at ~$55 for $100 in parts]

I'm having this exact issue, and of course my dealership "can't duplicate the sound." The service rep even told me that I shouldn't be driving the car fast enough to hear the noise. Unbelievable.

Last edited by LionelHutz; 07-08-14 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-08-14, 12:21 PM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

don't listen to the service rep. he or she has no f'ing clue what they are talking about.
Old 07-08-14, 12:33 PM
LionelHutz
Rookie

Originally Posted by BS ISF
don't listen to the service rep. he or she has no f'ing clue what they are talking about.
Obviously. But I was blown away by the fact the she continued arguing that the car shouldn't be driven hard and that, if Lexus heard that it happened only when shifted near redline, they might deny warranty. Great way to perpetuate Lexus's image of just selling ES350s to blue-haired old ladies.
Old 07-08-14, 12:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LionelHutz
Obviously. But I was blown away by the fact the she continued arguing that the car shouldn't be driven hard and that, if Lexus heard that it happened only when shifted near redline, they might deny warranty. Great way to perpetuate Lexus's image of just selling ES350s to blue-haired old ladies.
I would have stood up and told her I need to speak to her boss. I cant believe that SA would say something that stupid. .....actually I can believe it

To be honest thats why I didnt even tell them to look for the issue. I just came in with the parts and said change these out. Funny. Seems like my opening up of this ancient thread has opened a can of worms for some
Old 07-08-14, 02:16 PM
LionelHutz
Rookie

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I would have stood up and told her I need to speak to her boss. I cant believe that SA would say something that stupid. .....actually I can believe it

To be honest thats why I didnt even tell them to look for the issue. I just came in with the parts and said change these out. Funny. Seems like my opening up of this ancient thread has opened a can of worms for some
Yup. I will just have my indy shop take care of it, and chalk this up to a lesson learned about how Lexus views the folks who buy its performance car.
Old 07-08-14, 11:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,325 Posts

I'd pull out some of the original marketing where they quote Yaguchi-san saying "I wanted to build a car that felt as good on lap 10 as it did on lap 1." Doesn't sound like taking it easy on the car at all.
Old 07-09-14, 05:24 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LMAO...u r so right just like I had a SA kind of getting pissed at me when I was trying to explain to him that an ISF does not have to have new rotors every time you change out the pads...I finally went and talked to the shop foreman and he just got pissed and said he would handle it...he said some of the SA's don't really know the cars, so they should not say anything and tell the customer they will find out and come ask him...but they don't...

And not to go totally "OFF TOPIC" but I also agree with you about taking my car to the dealership...that is one of the reasons I bought MYISF...my wife has driven Lexus for years (while I played around with various brands) and I had become jealous of the service she gets...always got a loaner and "NEVER" had to argue about it, etc...so when I got MYISF, I investigated their service dept and found they were dying to do "mods" and they said they would work with me on the pricing the best they could...so MYISF was the first car at Lexus of Tampa Bay to have headers and exhaust installed and they did a awesome job. And the cost was very reasonable...now another ISF in town has had headers installed and people are starting to realize that taking their car to the "stealership" is not that bad...heck like "I8ABMR" said...there is a comfort in it as you just drop it off, get in your loaner (had an LS recently and it was fun) and come back in two days when it is done...nice...

Now the above paragraph is for all of us that either don't have the time (me) or the mechanic ability to work on their own car...I really wish I had the time as I remember enjoying doing mods to the cars and bikes I have owned before but I just don't have the time any more!
Old 07-09-14, 02:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MYISF
LMAO...u r so right just like I had a SA kind of getting pissed at me when I was trying to explain to him that an ISF does not have to have new rotors every time you change out the pads...I finally went and talked to the shop foreman and he just got pissed and said he would handle it...he said some of the SA's don't really know the cars, so they should not say anything and tell the customer they will find out and come ask him...but they don't...

And not to go totally "OFF TOPIC" but I also agree with you about taking my car to the dealership...that is one of the reasons I bought MYISF...my wife has driven Lexus for years (while I played around with various brands) and I had become jealous of the service she gets...always got a loaner and "NEVER" had to argue about it, etc...so when I got MYISF, I investigated their service dept and found they were dying to do "mods" and they said they would work with me on the pricing the best they could...so MYISF was the first car at Lexus of Tampa Bay to have headers and exhaust installed and they did a awesome job. And the cost was very reasonable...now another ISF in town has had headers installed and people are starting to realize that taking their car to the "stealership" is not that bad...heck like "I8ABMR" said...there is a comfort in it as you just drop it off, get in your loaner (had an LS recently and it was fun) and come back in two days when it is done...nice...

Now the above paragraph is for all of us that either don't have the time (me) or the mechanic ability to work on their own car...I really wish I had the time as I remember enjoying doing mods to the cars and bikes I have owned before but I just don't have the time any more!
Im with you on that. Between running a business , kids, and home I just dont have time for doing anything myself and in fact it has stopped me from modding my ISF. I need to make some time but have shifted my attention over the last year to body building. Im modding myself now . My car is already pretty damn fast. I have been eyeing wheels and an exhaust but I keep dropping hundreds on Protein powders, BCAAs, and creatine . lol
Old 07-09-14, 03:31 PM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im with you on that. Between running a business , kids, and home I just dont have time for doing anything myself and in fact it has stopped me from modding my ISF. I need to make some time but have shifted my attention over the last year to body building. Im modding myself now . My car is already pretty damn fast. I have been eyeing wheels and an exhaust but I keep dropping hundreds on Protein powders, BCAAs, and creatine . lol
No way...well that is fun also...did that years ago (probably older than u) and got pretty big...then I got into golf for about 6 years and lost everything...then my shoulders went to CRAP (probably combination of playing Volleyball for the USAF and bodybuilding catching up with me) and had surgery on both over a three year time frame and they are far from 100%...so no more golf (only casually as I was a 6 handicap) and I have gotten back into the gym but no overhead and no heavy...still not enough time to do things myself because of work (SAP Trainer for my entire company).
Old 07-11-14, 02:41 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just to put this up for anyone doubting the lower cost Dayco part may in some way be different from the Toyota original........

They are identical in every way except the OE has the OE number stamped into the casting.

If your not covered under warranty, do you self the favor and buy the Dayco part at $60- $80 bucks

Digger08

Last edited by digger08; 07-11-14 at 02:50 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Belt slip noise in manual mode shifting >5.5k rpm?