IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MotoIQ IS-F Project

Old 01-22-11, 10:02 AM
smartbomb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will have to double check my facts with Toyota. Thanks for bringing that up. One thing is that the IS-F has monotube dampers and Tokiko doesn't make mono tubes to my knowledge. KYB and Tokiko are Toyota suppliers though, but so is Bilstien.
Old 01-22-11, 09:48 PM
smartbomb
Rookie

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ Let me know if Mike wants to do something with the exhaust...

Since I read the last part of his Blog.....

Regards,

Joe Z
Hi Joe, check you PM's!
Old 01-22-11, 11:19 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Sweet I'm sure you'll love the Joe Z setup, it gives a nice growl without being to annoying. Also thanks for coming on here and talking to us about how and why you did things, we appreciate your input! Oh and welcome to Club Lexus!
Old 01-23-11, 10:55 AM
smartbomb
Rookie

Thank you for the welcome, we won't be going too crazy as the car is really mostly my wifes daily driver, sometimes mine too when I get tired of my Tundra.

We are looking at doing some suspension work using a lot of KW Motorsports stuff we salvaged from Dai Yoshihara's Discount Tire IS. The trick is to get some of the advantages of race parts without sacrificing the nice quiet Lexus ride, so we will try some of the spherical bearings and stuff but might not use them. We are not building a race car.

We are also looking into some really awesome brakes by Performance Friction although the stock brakes are pretty darned good, we are noticing rapid wear on the pads and rotors and tons of brake dust. Do you guys have this problem too?

Light forged Volk wheels and a larger tire fitment is coming, the fitment has to be wife friendly and functional, no rubbing tolerated. I was super mad when she curbed my stretched Volks on our G35! A big reason for the Volks is that the stock BBS wheels are so hard to clean and the dusty brakes are making killer dust that is easting up the wheels finish even though I clean them every week. Do you guys experience this as well?

The engine is going to get headers, we are looking at the offerings from the two companies that will be offering them or possibly looking into making our own which would be really trick, stepped primary and merged collector. We want stainless, nothing less for this level of car, ceramic coated mild steel is for Honda Civics!

The thing is we are looking to enhance the car, but not make it into a nuts tuner car, I do drive the thing on the track every so often when teaching driver school and things like that so it has to be the real deal but I still like the reasonable ride, the lack of wind noise, squeaks and rattles and the good fuel economy.

I hope you guys enjoy our series as it develops and can suggest thigns for us to do.
Old 01-23-11, 11:13 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, I certainly apologize then. I shouldnt be so quick to judge.

You guys have it going on.
Old 01-23-11, 12:49 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by smartbomb
We are also looking into some really awesome brakes by Performance Friction although the stock brakes are pretty darned good, we are noticing rapid wear on the pads and rotors and tons of brake dust. Do you guys have this problem too?

Light forged Volk wheels and a larger tire fitment is coming, the fitment has to be wife friendly and functional, no rubbing tolerated. I was super mad when she curbed my stretched Volks on our G35! A big reason for the Volks is that the stock BBS wheels are so hard to clean and the dusty brakes are making killer dust that is easting up the wheels finish even though I clean them every week. Do you guys experience this as well?
Yes the brake dust is very bad on these cars and squealing that develops. Most opt for aftermarket pads. We've tried products that are supposed to repel brake dust but the consensus is that they just don't work. There are a few options for rotors too but so far there are no direct replacement 2 piece rotors. Some people have had to do brake jobs after 18k miles, I just did my pads at 32K and still have half of the life left in the rotors. (28mm min)

Here is a thread outlining the pad/rotor options that are available:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...struction.html

Will Performance Friction be developing a rotor for this car?
Old 01-23-11, 08:41 PM
smartbomb
Rookie

We are going to test the Project Mu pads, they are supposed to be a little more fade resistant than stock but dust much less and be easier on the rotors.

The rotors on our car are worn about 1/16 of an inch in just 7000 miles of driving and the pads are worn about half way. The dust is eating up the finish on the wheels even with frequent cleaning.

Its pretty bad.

Perforformance friction is going to be developing an entire bigger brake system for the car which should enable the use of a less agressive pad while still performing well.
Old 01-23-11, 08:52 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

If you are going down the suspension route, I can surely help you guys out. No need to pick over a totaled racecar.
I am down for unbiased testing of my arms and links.

Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 01-23-11, 08:55 PM
smartbomb
Rookie

Wow I had better look over your site, when developing Dai's car we made a lot of the links, etc from scratch.
Old 01-23-11, 08:59 PM
smartbomb
Rookie

If I were to ask Performance Friction to develop 2 piece rotors, would you guys put up with the noise that full floating rotors make? Or would you insist on having them quiet?

Is there more interest in just rotors or a whole bigger brake system?
Old 01-23-11, 10:32 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smartbomb
If I were to ask Performance Friction to develop 2 piece rotors, would you guys put up with the noise that full floating rotors make? Or would you insist on having them quiet?

Is there more interest in just rotors or a whole bigger brake system?
i KNEW you'd chime in sooner or later...
since i sent you that message on fb and all...

and to answer your question, i would think it'd be like half and half
half would want it quiet that the other half won't care...
but i would think slightly more would want them quiet...
Old 01-24-11, 05:55 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

I just installed the Project Mu pads a week ago, I'm loving them so far.

I think that a direct replacement 2pc rotor would be more popular than a bigger brake kit and I agree that more people would want them quiet.
Old 01-24-11, 07:23 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by infinus
I just installed the Project Mu pads a week ago, I'm loving them so far.

I think that a direct replacement 2pc rotor would be more popular than a bigger brake kit and I agree that more people would want them quiet.
Glad you like them .
Old 01-24-11, 07:41 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by N54MPower
Glad you like them .
Both you and Joe Z recommended them . Circuit motorsports replied to my pm at 8pm on a Saturday night and on Sunday night then overnighted them to me on a holiday. Top notch customer service!
Old 01-24-11, 10:57 PM
smartbomb
Rookie

Does someone know how to get ahold of Joe Z? I tried to PM him but no reply.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MotoIQ IS-F Project