IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Brake pad question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-11, 12:28 PM
pc1990
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad question

My front pads are just about up and making noise. If I go for aftermarket brake pads, will lexus install them for me?
Old 01-04-11, 12:29 PM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps you can call your dealership and find out??
Old 01-04-11, 12:48 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by pc1990
My front pads are just about up and making noise. If I go for aftermarket brake pads, will lexus install them for me?
Installing pads on this car is very very easy! Why would you take it to a dealership when you can do it yourself. <<<assuming you are comfortable jacking up a car and getting your hands a bit dirty.

Last edited by caymandive; 01-04-11 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-04-11, 01:01 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

When I've done oil changes at my dealership I supply my own synthetic oil and filter, the service dept. will then indicate on invoice and service record customer supplied own oil and filter will make a note of brand and thats it. They would most likely do the same but like call your service dept and see what they same.
Old 01-04-11, 01:23 PM
pc1990
Pole Position

Well obviously I will ask the dealer...but I was just curious if you guys had done this before. Thanks for the info guys. The one thing I hate about this car is the amount of miles the front pads are lasting. Im averaging barely 10k miles for front pads. The rear pads were ok at 20k miles but I got those replaced under the LSB djsai posted. How many miles are you guys getting out of your pads?
Old 01-04-11, 01:28 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Well obviously I will ask the dealer...but I was just curious if you guys had done this before. Thanks for the info guys. The one thing I hate about this car is the amount of miles the front pads are lasting. Im averaging barely 10k miles for front pads. The rear pads were ok at 20k miles but I got those replaced under the LSB djsai posted. How many miles are you guys getting out of your pads?
Don't worry, I'm in the same boat you are with short lived pads. I do mostly city driving (downtown areas) and this plays a small role in the wear and tear. I'm at just about 30k miles and I'm on my fourth set of pads and rotors all around. I had the rears recently replaced with the LSB and I have to say, they squeal and squeak more then they did before I had them replaced. My fronts are also still screaming when I brake (pretty embarrassing).
Old 01-04-11, 04:33 PM
mondo540
Driver

To answer your question....yes mine did the install for me...if you are street driving I would recommend Hawk ceramics...I have them on mine and the dusting is much less noticeable...(you still have it, but less and it is a lighter color)...and the big part to me...no squeaking when rolling up to stop signs and lights or parking in my garage....that drove me nuts with the Brembos.

I also bring 2 5 qt jugs of Mobil one for my oil changes and they have no issues with that either.

Lots of threads on the Hawks here...go search them for other's opinions.
Old 01-04-11, 04:58 PM
larrysb
Driver

Ask your dealer, some will, some won't.

If all you need is pads, they are extremely easy to change. It's a little more difficult to change the rotors, which also wear very quickly on these cars.

I did the pads and rotors in a couple of hours of not working very hard. Pads would take me about ten minutes after getting the wheel off. The Brembo calipers are designed for racing, where you go through pads really quickly. Take out one bolt, tap out two pins, spread the pads and pull them out like poptarts from the toaster. Clean up the shims, dab a tiny bit of grease on the back of the pads and the sides where they slide, pop the new ones in, put the clip and pins and bolt back in.
Old 01-05-11, 02:24 PM
SCCAForums
Driver

Like everyone has said... Pads are SUPER Easy... you'll be surprised... brembo's are VERY pad swap friendly!

PS, I recommend Carbotech Bobcats for the streets. Most seem happy with them, less dust and no squealing.

Dave
Old 01-05-11, 06:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I'd still like to know what you guys are doing to kill rotors and pads so quickly. Even after three track weekends and over 35,000 miles - cracks and all - my rotors measured 29.6mm out of the original 30.0mm. My OEM front pads are still in fine shape, and my Bobcats aren't even close to 50% worn and I've got 45k miles on the clock now.

Four sets of pads and rotors? What are you doing to cause this?
Old 01-05-11, 07:27 PM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

+1 Unless the OEM pads on the ISF are made of tofu, I don't see a reason for going through 4 sets in 30k miles. The pads in all my cars have lasted at least 50,000 miles. As for the ISF, I expect a little less since they are BBK, but not 7500 miles.
Old 01-06-11, 07:51 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'd still like to know what you guys are doing to kill rotors and pads so quickly. Even after three track weekends and over 35,000 miles - cracks and all - my rotors measured 29.6mm out of the original 30.0mm. My OEM front pads are still in fine shape, and my Bobcats aren't even close to 50% worn and I've got 45k miles on the clock now.

Four sets of pads and rotors? What are you doing to cause this?
Originally Posted by mugenh22a4
+1 Unless the OEM pads on the ISF are made of tofu, I don't see a reason for going through 4 sets in 30k miles. The pads in all my cars have lasted at least 50,000 miles. As for the ISF, I expect a little less since they are BBK, but not 7500 miles.
I honestly wish I knew. I haven't tracked the car since I first got it and I'm not hard on my brakes unless needed (like a quick stop in traffic or a quick changing light with a red light camera). I literally just had the fourth set put on and I've been left scratching my head at why I'm having to change them so often My first set were severely warped and needed replacements way before I would have normally replaced them (not sure why or how they got so warped; I had the dealership replace them free because the car had so few miles on it). With this in mind, it would have set me back a set and I would thus be on my third set in 30k miles which isn't great but still better than 7500 miles per replacement. Still leaves me quietly scratching my head at why they're needing replacements so often
Old 01-06-11, 09:48 PM
pc1990
Pole Position

Thumbs down

Talked to Tustin Lexus today and they said they only do oem brake pad installs. If you guys know any reputable shops in the socal/irvine area that can do the brake pad install please let me know. Im going to call Lexus of Westminster tommorow to see what they say.
Old 01-07-11, 08:59 AM
FPR1939
Pole Position

I have to agree with Lobuxracer, I don't understand why people need brake pads and rotors so often. I just changed out my front rotors at 60,000 miles right before my last track day (4th session) and changed pads for the second time on the front and the first time on the back. I replaced the front pads with Frodo pads both times and have been perfectly happy with the results.

Yes, the rotors develop concentric circles as they age but I don't consider that a problem. It is probably a reflection of the drilled rotors since the circles seem to be directly related to the cross drilling.

Pat
Old 01-07-11, 01:10 PM
pc1990
Pole Position

Alright, finally some good news...I talked to Lexus of Westminster today and they agreed to install non-oem pads for me. I ordered the bobcat street pads today and will let you know how they perform when I get them in. Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread.

Quick Reply: Brake pad question