IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Slammed F!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-11, 04:13 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SOOOOOO hawt.. Im glad u got ***** riding low on F!!!!
Old 01-01-11, 04:23 PM
ISF-88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KJH
Yes, it is sacrilege, especially with a car that has the sporting nature of the IS-F. ISF-88 has shown you can go pretty damned low without airbags. Hopefully, we never see a bagged F for the reasons noted.
Yup it can go very low but I don't recommend it unless u want to deal with the hassles

Originally Posted by I nd ISF
I could not agree with you more. lowering slightly with coils or springs looks fine but droping it to the ground looks just plain stupid. I really don't understand why people seem to think that "slamming" a car is so cool looking. 1) it is a major decrease in performance 2) it probably rides like it looks, like it's on the axel.

To each it's own

Originally Posted by VIS250P
SOOOOOO hawt.. Im glad u got ***** riding low on F!!!!

Thanks bro. I've seen many 2IS's slammed but rarely seen a F this low. I might be the only one

Last edited by ISF-88; 01-01-11 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-02-11, 08:36 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Air bags would be sacrilege for sure but what about cup kits so you can slam it then raise it quick to get over ****ty roads or into driveways?
Old 01-02-11, 11:26 AM
J250
Lexus Test Driver

Right when i saw frost on top of your roof on a sunny day, I had a feeling you're in vancouver ... Looks sick! Ever had any issues with the cops for not having a front license plate?
Old 01-02-11, 11:33 AM
ISF-88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Muggy
Right when i saw frost on top of your roof on a sunny day, I had a feeling you're in vancouver ... Looks sick! Ever had any issues with the cops for not having a front license plate?

Nope but I've been pulled over twice in the last 6 months for random check up cuz it has a Alberta License plate. I just recently moved back to BC last summer. They just hassle me for that but other then that no problems. Cops usually follow me ring up my plate to check if car is stolen then they turn off and leave me alone.
Old 01-03-11, 11:36 AM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by WReuroR
Air bags would be sacrilege for sure but what about cup kits so you can slam it then raise it quick to get over ****ty roads or into driveways?
Well they do add weight and I'm sure they effect performance to some degree but not nearly as bad as a full air kit.
Old 01-05-11, 02:12 AM
crazybuggy
Racer

looooks goood!
Old 01-05-11, 08:42 AM
Fitment Factory
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great!!
Old 01-05-11, 07:07 PM
e464sho
Driver School Candidate

gawd daym I love your car!
Old 01-05-11, 11:58 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

low is where its at..and in the snow too
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 03-10-12, 10:21 PM
gerill2p
Lead Lap

Any update?
Old 03-13-12, 08:50 AM
BMWM2ISF
Driver School Candidate

I could not agree with you more. lowering slightly with coils or springs looks fine but droping it to the ground looks just plain stupid. I really don't understand why people seem to think that "slamming" a car is so cool looking. 1) it is a major decrease in performance 2) it probably rides like it looks, like it's on the axel.
I like the look but not the performance. When the travel hit's the Bump-Stop, the sidewall of the tire then becomes the cars only means of further travel.

Some say it handles better, but if you have ever been drivng at the limit and any part of your suspension hits the Bump-Stop, it will throw your vehicle so far off the line that one may not recover, especially if the line is near the edge of the road.

From Urschlag Motorsports:

So what happens when a lowered car runs out of bump travel and contacts the bump stops?

Very rough ride characteristics. With the reduced suspension bump travel, even small bumps will use up all of the available travel. We've all seen cars driving around (typically manufactured in Japan) that are lowered to the point that every imperfection in the pavement upsets the entire chassis. This is a result of little to no bump travel.
Extreme steady-state understeer or oversteer. Under hard cornering conditions, the chassis rolls on the suspension. The outside suspension compresses, and the inside suspension rebounds. A frequent problem is that the chassis roll causes the front or rear suspension to run out of travel and contact the bump stops. If this happens in the front suspension, a severe mid corner understeer problem will occur. If the rear suspension bottoms, a severe mid corner oversteer will be the result. This is a real problem with a lot of BMWs that I've seen, typically in the front suspension causing understeer.
Instability during abrupt direction changes. A pretty common problem typically seen in autocrosses. The car handles fine through steady state corners, but either oversteers or understeers through quick transitions. This problem can have many causes, one is lack of bump travel combined with soft shocks and struts. The car will corner in one direction and the chassis will roll from the cornering forces. When the driver quickly changes direction, the chassis will roll in the opposite direction and receive a 'boost' from the inside springs that are still compressed. This will in some cases temporarily put the outside suspension on the bumpstops. This effect can really wreak havoc through a slalom!
This is a variation on number two. The car will roll on the suspension during hard cornering, but not quite to the point of contacting the bump stops. Then the slightest bump will use up the remaining bump travel and induce sudden and extreme understeer or oversteer. This type of oversteer can be particularly dangerous! Another symptom of this is a car that is very unsettled driving over FIA curbing at the track.

Last edited by BMWM2ISF; 03-13-12 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-13-12, 09:11 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Hey isf-88 fire me an IM if you would be interested in a dyno day/BBQ in Kelowna this summer. I'm planning one with the GF's old man and a couple of his buddies. Should have some interesting cars there, and quite the spread.
Old 01-11-14, 08:17 PM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

/Back from the dead lo..OP car looks awesome that low...how are u dealing with the front fender liner? cut? bent? what?
Old 01-12-14, 04:19 AM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

It's the difference between preferring a DRIVER'S car or an ARRIVER'S car. Looks nice.

Quick Reply: Slammed F!