IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus IS F: 2 Years, 30k miles Trouble Free!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-10, 03:53 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Lexus IS F: 2 Years, 30k miles Trouble Free!

Last Sunday marked the 2nd year of trouble free ownership after 31k miles on my 2009 Starfire with Black Interior, Lexus IS F. Last year, I posted a write up here about my history with the IS F. I also posted a one year follow up on my car. My experiences with IS F have started with the world debut in Detroit for the 2007 North American International Auto Show. During the course of time, before the IS F was released (February 2008), I decided that I couldn't wait until February to get one and I didn't think I could afford it. My desire to own the first true Lexus hot rod grew as I was exposed to it at many events and shows before its official sale. So two years ago on this month, I caved in and joined the "F" club. Believe me, it was a difficult ordeal for me to decide, but with some hard work and determination, I did it. Till this day, I never get tired of listening to the sounds of that Yamaha co-developed 5.0L V8 growl.

I'm proud to say that the additional 7k miles I put on my IS F for 2010 have been trouble free. Although I have greatly slowed down the mileage collection game, I recently drove my IS F to attend the 2010 SEMA Show. I did find some time evaluate the Tokico HTS Dampers with Eibach Springs on this latest long haul trip. During my stay I also had a chance to do a photoshoot at Red Rock Canyon with my good friends from Nor Cal, So Cal and Las Vegas. All of them happen to be fellow Club Lexus and my.IS members. After our early Saturday shoot, a handful of us traveled across town to check out all new Lexus of Henderson. It was just a coincidence when I first arrived in town for the SEMA Show that I needed to do some routine maintenance on my ISF. What perfect timing as I was able to check out the new facility while my IS F was being serviced. I will report on the new Lexus of Henderson in an upcoming write up.

Surprisingly I am still riding on the factory Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires that originally came with the car. Its a known fact that PS2's are soft compound tires that have exceptional grip but have a very short lifespan. Despite riding on a non-rotatable staggered tire setup, I still have plenty of tread to spare and i'm not even close to the wear bars that show up at 2/32". I'm not too hard on my IS F as most of the mileage racked up are long distance driving done on the freeway. Stopping on a dime is still no problem as I still have plenty of brake life with the original Brembo rotors and pads. Despite the heavy dusting, the brakes still bite, without fade as if they are brand new. I am fortunate that the brake groaning I briefly experienced has not come back. The intermittent interior trim rattles that haunted me early on are non existent as well.

The fuel economy has slightly improved to an average of 25 mpg thanks to the use of Eneos synthetics. I have been regularly changing out the nearly 10 quarts of oil along with the Toyota element filter at the recommended 5K service intervals. The IS F still pulls hard when you drop the hammer. It never has no problem hitting triple digits. As a matter of fact, it doesn't feel like you're doing in triple digits in the F thanks to the great sound dampening of the interior and the acoustic glass windshield. Also the great stability of the IS F aides in driving confidence at high speeds. Here are some additional photos taken during our photoshoot at Red Rock Canyon after SEMA 2010 in Las Vegas.

Panoramic shot taken by my good friend Jeff of Photoshootmycar.com
Old 12-21-10, 04:41 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great update! Your white IS against that red rock looks fantastic.
Old 12-21-10, 08:28 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
that ugly green thing kinda ruined the shot...
Old 12-21-10, 08:32 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ I kinda like the LC green color F, very unique...
Old 12-21-10, 08:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

2 yrs already, cool!

hahaa, if you are getting 30k miles on ps2 in the isf, that only means you aren't driving the car the way it's supposed to be
Old 12-21-10, 08:34 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 516IS
^^^ I kinda like the LC green color F, very unique...
thanks!!!
i was just making a joke... haha
ok... i think i'm the only one laughing... *sigh*

Old 12-21-10, 08:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperMKIV
thanks!!!
i was just making a joke... haha
ok... i think i'm the only one laughing... *sigh*

hahhaa no, i laughed, but i didn't post
Old 12-21-10, 09:14 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

great write up, ryan! as unforeseeable as it was to think i, too, had an opportunity to own one of these finely crafted vehicles, i never regret purchasing one. the experiences, road trips, meeting new people, and attending meets and shows collectively bring about an even more satisfying owner experience. when i visit the las vegas area, i'll be sure to check out henderson.

and cary, they probably haven't visited your fb page yet. lol
Old 12-21-10, 09:20 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

My F is also two this month, but I drive it quite a bit more. All time average fuel mileage is 21.2 which includes 40 miles of commuting on moderate speed roads daily. I've never seen oil make a difference in fuel mileage unless you change the weight of the oil. I've also gone 12k miles on oil changes as documented in the Official Blackstone thread with all indications this engine can run (even at the track) with extended intervals and very good results.

I got 30k miles from my original Bridgestone rears including three track weekends and like you, they were still not all the way down to the wear bars, but with the amount of rain we receive year round in Georgia, it was time to stop having to baby the car in the rain and put newer rubber on it. I unfortunately corded the first set of front tires on the inside edges as a result of a poor factory alignment as others on this site have as well. The second new set is working much better with different settings.

Like you, I have no complaints about the car, and I've been extremely impressed with its composure at the track completely stock (as have been my instructors!)
Old 12-21-10, 10:26 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
hahhaa no, i laughed, but i didn't post
Originally Posted by bnizzle87
great write up, ryan! as unforeseeable as it was to think i, too, had an opportunity to own one of these finely crafted vehicles, i never regret purchasing one. the experiences, road trips, meeting new people, and attending meets and shows collectively bring about an even more satisfying owner experience. when i visit the las vegas area, i'll be sure to check out henderson.

and cary, they probably haven't visited your fb page yet. lol
haha... i'm glad i can make people laugh/smile i guess...
much like how ryan provides entertainment/knowledge, i try to provide a venue for smiles... that's what someone told me once anyway...

keep up the good work ryan...
Old 12-21-10, 10:26 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great story!
Old 12-21-10, 05:41 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Same here. Trouble free with the 11,000 miles I have on my '08.

Regardless I fully expect it to be trouble free up to 200 K miles if I keep it that long.

Nice story and nice shots!
Old 12-21-10, 06:03 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heck, in Feb mine will be THREE years. 24K trouble free miles so far. I'm on stock PS2s but that's cuz I share the load with LM-25s. Front pads done once due to heat crystalizing the compound causing a lot of squealing and grinding noises. 5 K intervals but now I'm doing 10K since lobux says it's okay.
Old 12-21-10, 07:43 PM
ACEtheOG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations!
My F is still a baby at 1700 kms lol. Hope I'm as lucky as you!
Great pics btw, the 2GS and 3GS look mean!
Old 12-21-10, 07:55 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

No one cares about your slow F, Ryan...

ok, i kinda do.. my car has an F on it, but not a real F.

Nice writeup!

Quick Reply: Lexus IS F: 2 Years, 30k miles Trouble Free!